Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Guess who?
    How many guesses do I get and is one of them fish?

(too obscure of a reference?)

PS. Returning to the exclusivity of the sponsors on premises - when the Indianapolis Speedway switched from Coke to Pepsi, it specifically mentioned that only Pepsi products (including Mountain Dew and Aquafina) will be sold at the concession stands. And the Canon gear will be provided free of charge.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Powering accessories is the one issue that'll need some definite investigation. The camera only has one proprietary 'video' out port, which can either be used with the included 720p touchscreen or the 1080p EVF from the C700 (neither has any kind of image/power passthrough, so you can only run one at a time).

So using the camera with BPA batteries you could only do the most streamlined of setups (camera + EVF or camera + touchscreen) without any additional accessories, or you'll need accessories (like external monitors) that have their own battery plates.

SWIT do make BPA dummy batteries, that include a single DTAP port and a DTAP to DC power cable that includes DTAP passthrough (so you draw power from a second DTAP cable that feeds into the camera-to-DTAP cable... which on the whole sounds a little messy (albeit workable if all you need to do is power a single teradek, or onboard monitor): https://digitalfilmmaker.net/swit-ba...-c300-mark-ii/

On the whole I suspect the BPA battery slot has been included primarily with gimbal use in mind (a compact, low-profile way to power the camera when it's gimbalised and space/weight is at a premium). Hopefully, Canon will introduce some updated BPA models that include a DTAP port (or better yet, two) - this would help you to keep the camera as light as possible for minimalist camera builds.

For more conventional production, you'll have to add a v-mount/ab-mount plate or the extension module. For my money the EU-V2 extension module is a little too light on power outputs (one DTAP, one 24v 2amp output). Assuming your batteries have DTAP ports of their own, that still only gives you direct ports for three accessories (and having to add DTAP splitters is added gack that nobody wants). So because of this, and the because the module doesn't really offer anything else that I'd need often, I'd opt for a straight battery plate instead. Which will take up less space overall, and with a beefy unit like the Wooden Camera 'Pro' plates, you get 3 DTAPs in addition to whatever's on your battery itself.

Hopefully someone builds an clean v-mount battery plate module, that includes at least three DTAPs, can sit flush with the back of the camera, and can power the camera directly (without having to feed a DTAP cable into the camera's DC in).
    A BP style Core SWX battery that communicates with the camera (assuming this means powers the camera?) and has a DTAP/usb
    - https://www.instagram.com/p/B2O7jlzncOw/
    - https://www.coreswx.com/store.coreswx/product/nano-c98/

Before this, swit and core had batteries that were dumb connections to the contacts so it was necessary to have a cable going into the DC IN.

I also posted in the c200 section but thought I'd share here too. Might not solve all of your problems but should be very handy in certain situations. I'll definitely be buying for my c200.
    Last edited by rob norton; 09-10-2019 at 11:38 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    A BP style Core SWX battery that communicates with the camera (assuming this means powers the camera?) and has a DTAP/usb
    - https://www.instagram.com/p/B2O7jlzncOw/
    - https://www.coreswx.com/store.coreswx/product/nano-c98/

Before this, swit and core had batteries that were dumb connections to the contacts so it was necessary to have a cable going into the DC IN.

I also posted in the c200 section but thought I'd share here too. Might not solve all of your problems but should be very handy in certain situations. I'll definitely be buying for my c200.
    Excellent, that’s certainly a starting point. Thanks Rob.

Now we just need to pester them with emails to get them to make a version where they swap out the USB port for a second DTAP.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    ... I get like 40 inquiries a month...
    Holy moly, Eric, it's time for you to launch a tutorial series on how to run a video business.

BTW, I moved the Amira on. For some reason I got several inquiries at once last month and felt money-in-hand was too tempting to resist.
    I also sold my C300. Kinda nice to be camera free at the moment, although I had to sub-rent someone else's kit last week and that didn't sit well with me.
    Bill Totolo
    L.A.

www.billtotolo.com

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bill totolo View Post
    Kinda nice to be camera free at the moment, although I had to sub-rent someone else's kit last week and that didn't sit well with me.
    The thought of renting another DoPs kit brings me out in a cold chill.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

6. Collapse Details
    Look at this one...for $19K you can have a used C700 with an EVF and the OU-700. Maybe less with a best offer.

The viewfinder and the operation unit are $8400 alone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-C...D/202754228267

7. Collapse Details
    My wishlist for c500ii, just a fantasy ;)

• Canon or 3rd party extension unit/plate just for power options with slimmer profile than Canon unit 2. One doesn't always need extra audio connections and genlock, just plain v-lock battery adapter with power distribution, multiple d-tap ports out etc.
    • Second Canon lcd/evf connector to use touch lcd and the (expensive but really good!) Canon OLED evf at the same time. This second connection could have been thrown in the extension unit 2 easily, why not Canon?
    • SDI output or two on the extenension unit 2. The fact that there is none was probably to protect c700FF (it has 4 SDI outs, all with independently configurable video output settings, overlays and LUTs!)
    • EF lock mount as standard. Now its quite hefty priced.. I wonder why anyone would even want to use normal EF mount if lockable is possible. Canon, you greedy b***trds!

BTW, this just in. Some fresh footage from the camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgDU9tK4Dsg

8. Collapse Details
    Nice looking video.
    Bill Totolo
    L.A.

www.billtotolo.com

9. Collapse Details
    Got this ad on FB from Adorama -

Trade-in your used Canon, Sony, or RED camcorder and receive up to 70% Credit of the resale value which can be applied toward your new Canon EOS C500 Mark II Full Frame Cinema Camera...
    I actually clicked on the link but there was no further info, aside of a salesperson chat pop up.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by undero View Post
    EF lock mount as standard. Now its quite hefty priced.. I wonder why anyone would even want to use normal EF mount if lockable is possible.

Faster lens swaps when speed-shooting. That little bit of extra time required by the locking mount might mean missing some valuable content. Think fast-paced doc shooting, reality tv shooting, or BTS. Not only the speed issue but requiring two hands to swap lenses can be a pain when shooting solo and not having a place to set the camera down to swap lenses using both hands. For instance, if you are in a muddy area and you have no place dry to place the camera for performing a two-handed lens swap.

Quote Originally Posted by undero View Post
    BTW, this just in. Some fresh footage from the camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgDU9tK4Dsg
    That's actually a week old. I think we are now at the stage where the samples of footage will cease for the time being because the testers had to return the cameras. The short window they were given is likely over in most cases.
    Last edited by JPNola; 09-19-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    Big sources matter.

Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354 LastLast