Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Typical California moronic regulation. This is the only state I've ever heard of that actively drives business to relocate out of state through stupid greed like this.
    In their minds(lawmakers), they're trying to help "the little guy/working man". But then the corporations just adjust their practices and we ended up getting hosed.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Okay, fair enough. But hear me out. What if the camera actually was stolen, but not by me. See, I film a short film in the hood, but PAs are expensive and as a one-man-band Alexa 65 shooter, I need to go to the bathroom. We're talking diarrhea, so it's going to take awhile. Unfortunately I was also acting in this movie, so it's truly a one-man-band show. Meanwhile, I've left the Alexa 65 out in the alley way in the hood, and once I emerge from the bathroom a long while later, I mean, if someone who I have nothing to do with stole it, how have I committed a crime?

Okay, so I pay Arri $200k or whatever agreement was made to them in order to rent the camera. Most rental companies require insurance, but many also accept a deposit to cover the full cost of what is being rented. Now, Arri and the police may dedicate some resources to finding the camera, but me, I've got more at stake. So, I hire two thousand private detectives at a cost of one million dollars, and with some good fortune, likely recover the stolen camera. But, I tell the private detectives to not inform me if the camera is recovered. Instead, I say that whoever finds the camera could be best off to just sell it, but this is more of citing an idea than me telling them to do it. So meanwhile I just happen to be looking for Alexa 65 cameras on Ebay and Craigslist, and low and behold, I find one. Wow, what a coincidence, officer. Okay, so I put in a $200,000 offer, win it, and now have an Alexa 65. The serial number is scratched off, so, I really have no way of knowing if it's the same one I rented, but it's not really my problem at this point as I'm not aware of there being a law against buying stolen goods on Ebay if you have no way to know for sure that it was stolen.

So, I'm home free, yeah? Great plan?
    Did you hire 10,000 monkeys, 10,000 typewriters and a buttload of bananas to work out that plan?
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdir View Post

And the position is perfect to operate it with a nose.
    If youíre a left eye viewer like me itís ok once you flip the eyecup, otherwise yeah, itís pretty lousy. Why not next to the rotary knob or on the bottom where your thumb could reach it while you held onto a grip or front rod?
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    How many of you are planning to buy the C500 Mark II?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by indiawilds View Post
    It is a temptation.

The thing that it does not show is true modern design - its basically my FS7 but a heap better .. but not a 'gamechanger'
    AF is a huge boost to me beyond the FS7 (main draw)

The Sony FX6 (rumoured) might be a better option for me in my 'real' (minimum crew) world if it delivers 10bit 4k
    Mass is my main obsession and Its not lighter than my FS7.
    I dont know if it can be remote controlled properly

It is too tall for my Movi Pro with out some painful mods.

6. Collapse Details
    I won’t be.

In the low end, i think i have the options i can put up with, for non commercial use. We finally got a 10bit option, and 12stops DR in 4K. That is a good start, and is the beginnings of a good image. (Has a long ways to go though)

In the high end, i would only consider something with Alexa or better dynamic range, in addition to some of the other specs that have become standard.

When it comes to C500mkII, it is a camera that is made for the current day professional. Someone who has regular clients that need a dynamic and flexible RnG camera package. Seems like a good addition to the work force.

At this time, i wouldn’t buy it, because it doesn’t fit my “business model”, and at the same time, it doesn’t live up to my aesthetic demands from a camera. So, i won’t be purchasing one.

Again, it seems like a good tool for the modern content maker with regular clients. The Sony Fx9 looks to lure people away based on specs, or even IBIS alone. While others will be happy to have a solidly mounted sensor, and good colors straight from capture. I believe Canon will do fine. They have a good fan base in certain pro circles, and allow for a good workflow requiring little finesse in post to get lovely images.

Canon Cine Primes now have the perfect Canon companion.

Canon has an established niche and fanbase, and this camera builds on that. The C500mkII seems to be the most realized version of the C series to date.
    Last edited by James0b57; 09-08-2019 at 10:20 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    I'm feeling deeply, deeply tempted by it.

It does everything I need a camera to do. The size and weight are as good as the Alexa Mini, but in terms of rigging and ergonomics (the thing that irks me most about the Mini) it's miles ahead. The 5 steps of ND are the most convenient setup out there (outside of the Venice and the FS7ii's variable system). Being able to switch between 4k full-frame and 4k S35mm means I could hold on to my Zeiss CZ.2 zoom (which isn't really working for me on my S35mm cameras) whilst selling the Sigma 18-35mm I've been using to cover the wide-end. Which means that with the one compact zoom I'd have a 17-80mm range (in S35mm terms) without having to swing a lens (which would cover me for 99% of the shots I do). And the crazy high ISO performance means working off a T/2.9 zoom lens is no trouble at all.

Also, not taking the hit on selling my Zeiss - would cover probably half the cost of the C500ii just by itself.

It's a hugely appealing camera to me. With the image quality of the C700 FF, I can use it as an A-camera on the features, series and commercials I shoot. And with the compact size and comprehensive feature set built into the base body, it will work great for the few solo documentary-style shoots I do as well.

The only iffy issue is power distribution for accessories, but that's pretty easily solved with one of Wooden Camera's Pro v-mount plates with 3 DTAPs built in.

Also, it's the same price as a Sony F5! Less, when you factor in the need for the R5 or R7 for raw recording with the Sony!

I'm pondering it pretty seriously.
    Last edited by Grug; 09-08-2019 at 07:20 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Typical California moronic regulation. This is the only state I've ever heard of that actively drives business to relocate out of state through stupid greed like this.
    Dan,
    Ab5's (administrative bill 5) intent as I understand it is to stop the intentional misclassification of workers who are clearly employees, as independent contractors. It was intended to protect "gig" workers like Uber, Lyft and Doordash to name a few, who have been classified as independent contractors and it's pretty clear they are under these companies' control. In theory, most independent filmmakers like us should be protected (that is free to work as independent contractors) based on part "C" of the bill because we're set up to do the kind of work we do independently of a particular company we may be working for at the time. Of course theory and practice are two different things, and there are many trades that have been exempted and more that wish to do so. So, we'll see how this unfolds... Good article https://qz.com/1703897/californias-a...e-gig-economy/
    Last edited by scorsesefan; 09-08-2019 at 07:19 AM.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Unless, next week, Sony announce something better or similar, but cheaper I'll almost certainly buy it. My FS7 will be 5 in October and is looking forward to retirement.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

10. Collapse Details
    There's a good chance I'll buy it, but I may wait a year or two as higher up on my list of things to buy are a house, Canon 17-120, and Canon CN-e primes. New camera purchases are always more fun to get though, so the temptation is there to move it up the list.

The C500 Mark II also doesn't offer a lot to me, as for high end shoots I already have Arris, and for mid-range corporate and doc shoots, I'm probably not going to shoot in 5.9K, RAW, or full-frame. But, if the 10 bit 4:2:2 4K image is actually sharper and better, and I gain things like camera IS, built-in audio, a slightly larger touch LCD, locking EF-mount, 4K 60p, ability to operator in three sensor modes (Super16, Super35, full-frame) to get different field of views (if that's the proper term) from lenses, then it could be worth the upgrade.

I feel like I'd have a difficult time being able to charge more for it, then again, I started my C300 Mark II rental rate at $600 when I first got it, then when the camera lowered in price, I changed it to $500, then I bought some higher end tripods and now always package them in with the camera so I put it back to $600, essentially what I was charging back when it was $16k, so $600 would still be a pretty decent rate for the C500 Mark II rental. So for me, the C500 Mark II would likely be more about using newer technology to make my job easier, which is good for retaining clients and attracting them by having the best gear available.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 09-08-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast