Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Feedback on gimbal support rigs?
    I have the Zhiyun Crane 2 gimbal. I really like it and have been very happy with it. When I shoot stand up interviews with it though, which can easily go 30-60 minutes, I find myself resting the gimbal tripod on my belt or dug into my stomach because it's far too long to free hold the gimbal away from my body.
    Resting the folded tripod legs on my body works but after doing it all day, it begins to dig into my stomach.

I've discovered two solutions to mitigate this issue:

1. Kamerar Mogocrane - A belt with a cup https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZFJPY6...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    This seems like a pretty simple, logical way to address the issue and interestingly, it's from Kamerar. I have two Kamerar Brightcast LED panels that have been pretty useful products over the past couple of years. The advantage I see here is this would just be a more comfortable, efficient way of doing what I am already instinctually doing with using my gimbal. The downside of it,
    looking at the Amazon reviews, a lot of people are complaining that the plastic caps on the tilting bracket fall off, but one person said the company contacted him after he complained about this happening that they have since fixed it. Or I could just epoxy the caps on, no big deal to me, I use JB Weld all of the time when I fix things around the house. The cool thing is
    it would be easy to wear this on a shoot, put the Crane's tripod legs in it when shooting interviews and then pull it out and shoot normally moving the gimbal all over the place when doing rotating shots around talent, etc. Easy to transition from using it to not using, back and forth.

2. The official Zhiyun Crane 2 Shoulder Support Bracket https://www.amazon.com/Zhiyun-Ergono...gateway&sr=8-1
    This looks interesting in that it doesn't just support from your waist or stomach but also goes around your shoulder and affixes with a strap. This unit looks better made than the belt above. It has more points of contact with your body which should be more stable. But it looks like if you were wearing it and wanted to remove your Crane from it to do a quick low to the ground or over your head shot, it would be in the way and you'd have to take the whole thing off of your body to do certain moves. So transitioning would be a hassle? That seems to be the main downside with this one.

Thoughts? Have you tried either of these solutions with your gimbal in the real world? The cost difference is only $10.00 so that's not a factor, I'm just curious which one will work best in actual shooting.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 08-27-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    60 minute handheld interview. As someone who has shot WAY too many 25-30 minute interviews looking up at the subject with the camera on my shoulder(like gang-bang sports sound), that is just ridiculous and shows complete disrespect to everyone involved. That producer deserves an a s s-kicking followed by a punch in the mouth with a rock.

That being said, I’d go with a belt-type cup. There are better ones out there.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    60 minute handheld interview. As someone who has shot WAY too many 25-30 minute interviews looking up at the subject with the camera on my shoulder(like gang-bang sports sound), that is just ridiculous and shows complete disrespect to everyone involved. That producer deserves an a s s-kicking followed by a punch in the mouth with a rock.

That being said, I’d go with a belt-type cup. There are better ones out there.
    Can you post links to the better kits you alluded to?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegger View Post
    Can you post links to the better kits you alluded to?
    I have seen them in the wild. I used to see a bunch of live handheld guys, back in the day that used to have what was basically a mini monopod on the bottom front of the camera and it rested in what looked like a leather "cup" or pouch on a belt serving the exact same purpose. I'm guessing it was either purpose built or possibly a support for a flag pole like what someone in a color guard would use. There is a "modern version", but it's stupid expensive. I've wondered if you can buy the pieces separately. It says it's patented, but like I said, versions have been around since at least the 80's.

https://steadygum.com

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I have the Zhiyun Crane 2 gimbal. I really like it and have been very happy with it. When I shoot stand up interviews with it though, which can easily go 30-60 minutes, I find myself resting the gimbal tripod on my belt or dug into my stomach because it's far too long to free hold the gimbal away from my body.
    Resting the folded tripod legs on my body works but after doing it all day, it begins to dig into my stomach.

I've discovered two solutions to mitigate this issue:

1. Kamerar Mogocrane - A belt with a cup https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZFJPY6...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    This seems like a pretty simple, logical way to address the issue and interestingly, it's from Kamerar. I have two Kamerar Brightcast LED panels that have been pretty useful products over the past couple of years. The advantage I see here is this would just be a more comfortable, efficient way of doing what I am already instinctually doing with using my gimbal. The downside it,
    looking at the Amazon reviews, a lot of people are complaining that the plastic caps on the tilting bracket fall off, but one person said the company contacted him after he complained about this happening that they have since fixed it. Or I could just epoxy the caps on, no big deal to me, I use JB Weld all of the time when I fix things around the house. The cool thing is
    it would be easy to wear this on a shoot, put the Crane's tripod legs in it when shooting interviews and then pull it out and shoot normally moving the gimbal all over the place when doing rotating shots around talent, etc. Easy to transition from using it to not using, back and forth.

2. The official Zhiyun Crane 2 Shoulder Support Bracket https://www.amazon.com/Zhiyun-Ergono...gateway&sr=8-1
    This looks interesting in that it doesn't just support from your waist or stomach but also goes around your shoulder and affixes with a strap. This unit looks better made than the belt above. It has more points of contact with your body which should be more stable. But it looks like if you were wearing it and wanted to remove your Crane from it to do a quick low to the ground or over your head shot, it would be in the way and you'd have to take the whole thing off of your body to do certain moves. So transitioning would be a hassle? That seems to be the main downside with this one.

Thoughts? Have you tried either of these solutions with your gimbal in the real world? The cost difference is only $10.00 so that's not a factor, I'm just curious which one will work best in actual shooting.

So glad you posted that belt link. I was just ondering this week if something like that was out in the wild. I may pick that up. Thanks for the tip.

My other gimbal rig is a full size Letus Helix MG with a rigged out C200 and a seadicam vest arm adapted kit. It works nicely...its still exhausting though. After about an hour...I'm pretty wiped.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the tips and recommendations.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Thanks for the tips and recommendations.
    There is also the "Hip Shot". Made to be worn on the hip, but I don't see why it couldn't be positioned more to the front. Not cheap, but long a staple in the reality-tv shooting world and well made.

https://dependableexpendables.com/pr...11105546633259
    Big sources matter.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    There is also the "Hip Shot". Made to be worn on the hip, but I don't see why it couldn't be positioned more to the front. Not cheap, but long a staple in the reality-tv shooting world and well made.

https://dependableexpendables.com/pr...11105546633259
    I have one. It wouldn't really work for that. It has a support of sorts that, normally worn, runs slightly down the leg to help spread out the load, so it wouldn't be comfortable in the front and the platform is rounded to match the contour of the shoulder pad of an ENG camera.

9. Collapse Details
    How about pairing it with something like Zhiyun's Telescopic Monopod? Use it like a video monopod for interviews, and collapse it down for gimbal shots.

10. Collapse Details
    For standing still belt rigs can work ok. If walking too the shoulder rig works better (experience using both without a gimbal).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast