Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Panasonic has been pretty vocal about remaining committed to the m43 platform. I suppose it could be a marketing line, but most companies who do this aren't quite as enthusiastically vocal.

I don't know if anyone was expecting a GHx update before 2020 anyway, that would be out of character.

2. Collapse Details
    Rumored price is $4K for the S1H, new 24-70 2.8 TBA at $2,200.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Panasonic has been pretty vocal about remaining committed to the m43 platform. I suppose it could be a marketing line, but most companies who do this aren't quite as enthusiastically vocal...
    Unlike Tony Northrup, I don't think they'll discontinue the GH line or MFT. But, what once was their high end will be entry level from now on.

But entry level will be of "pro" quality of recent vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by soarprod View Post
    Rumored price is $4K for the S1H, new 24-70 2.8 TBA at $2,200.
    They said it was going to be "under" $4,000 ... and it will be by a buck.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Panasonic "forgot" to put IBIS in the GH5s.

There is no market for a portable camera over $2000 that does not have IBIS.
    And if you do not need portability then for $1300 you can obtain a Blackmagic Pocket 4K with better color science than the crap V-Log-L they put in the GH5 and GH5s.

I am worried that next Panasonic is going to "forget" about MFT or provide a crippled GH6 in the illusion that mobile videographers will rush into a full-frame solution.
    I met with the GH5S design team before it's rollout, they didn't forget to put IBIS into the GH5, it was a conscious decision made because of various technical limitations that clashed
    with other design goals of the camera at the time. The GH5 is aimed at hybrid prosumers while the GH5S was aimed more at video professionals. As of today, IBIS is a consumer feature
    and Panasonic had different goals for the GH5S. They were well aware that customers would complain, but I don't think they anticipated the backlash of people who HATE the GH5S, simply
    because it omits IBIS. It would be interesting to know the sales numbers of GH5 versus GH5S even though the 5S has some really cool video features.

If you look at industry-wide trends, M43 is dying faster than S35 and it's easy to see that S35 is dying too as far as new camera intros.
    It's as if the collective Zeitgeist has decided than anything short of FF of some sort is worthless. I find that assertion ludicrous but evidently the average buyer disagrees,
    the market as a whole, has fallen for the FF parlor trick, you could see the writing on the wall at CineGear 2018 and then this year at CineGear solidified that even more.

I predict in the not so distant future, no pro or prosumer digital cinema cameras will be made without at least a FF sensor and it's possible it may even slip to medium format after that, at least on bodies that have the room for that physically.
    The giant sensor trend is somewhat dumb, we can complain and lament but you can't fight what the majority of buyers have been brainwashed into thinking is desirable foir the foreseeable future, that is FF 6K or 8K cameras. To me FF, is simply
    a new way to sell new cameras to an audience that realistically doesn't need to buy a new camera and lenses. If most pros already have a 4K capable RAW and or Log capable camera, how many of us need to "trade up" in the real world?

We're in an industry with the lot of followers and most seem content to let the manufacturers dictate what they should want, need and buy.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Unlike Tony Northrup, I don't think they'll discontinue the GH line or MFT. But, what once was their high end will be entry level from now on.

But entry level will be of "pro" quality of recent vintage.

They said it was going to be "under" $4,000 ... and it will be by a buck.
    I think there will be a GH6. But after that...that is the question I am sure that will be answered by S1 and S1H sales. If 80% of my GH5/S market moved to the FF S1/H, would I keep on developing and introducing new M43 cameras ad infinitum? It would all depend on sales I would think. But looking at the trends for the whole industry, M43 is fading. S35 is fading. FF is exploding.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    ... If you look at industry-wide trends, M43 is dying faster than S35 and it's easy to see that S35 is dying too as far as new camera intros. It's as if the collective Zeitgeist has decided than anything short of FF of some sort is worthless. I find that assertion ludicrous but evidently the average buyer disagrees, the market as a whole, has fallen for the FF parlor trick, you could see the writing on the wall at CineGear 2018 and then this year at CineGear solidified that even more.
    It is a collective Zeitgeist plain and simple. Camera divisions have no where else to go but up. Since MFT and S35 are likely played out for next-gen features and revenue, VistaVision is the natural next step to keep cash coming in. Everyone wants to be cool, so we all follow the program. At least I do. I want to be cool. Which FF camera will make me the coolest?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    ... Which FF camera will make me the coolest?
    Paul F FF.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    It would be interesting to know the sales numbers of GH5 versus GH5S
    I wouldn't consider the GH5, but I did consider the GH5s at some point. But that's me. The GH5 is well ahead of the GH5s in the best-seller lists from both amazon and bhphoto.

Regarding sensor size...

Adding resolution as technology evolves is cheap. That's why they don't sell 1080p TVs anymore: almost everything is 4k nowadays because making 1080p panels is not significantly cheaper.
    But making bigger sensors is always going to be more expensive. The difference will become smaller, but it will be there. And in glass the cost difference will be just as big as it is today: bigger sensors require bigger lenses that are more expensive to manufacture.

What I can see happening is that, as smaller sensors become better and better, the demand for sensor sizes such as 1" and m43 may fall: why pay $$$ for a m43 camera if your phone has a 40 Mpix 2/3" sensor that shoots nice video too. That is: m43 will be eaten from below, not from above.

For me, the sweet spot is APS-C, because it's big enough for shallow DoF and because there are very nice lenses for that sensor size (specifically Sigma 16mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.4) that are much smaller and cheaper than FF glass of similar quality.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    What I can see happening is that, as smaller sensors become better and better, the demand for sensor sizes such as 1" and m43 may fall: why pay $$$ for a m43 camera if your phone has a 40 Mpix 2/3" sensor that shoots nice video too. That is: m43 will be eaten from below, not from above.
    That’s a good point.

M43 does have more natural control over dof than 2/3”. Which kind of matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    For me, the sweet spot is APS-C, because it's big enough for shallow DoF and because there are very nice lenses for that sensor size (specifically Sigma 16mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.4) that are much smaller and cheaper than FF glass of similar quality.
    Agreed. Especially since mirrorless design opens up lens design limitations that used to exist. May end up negating the need for m43.

Will be interesting to see what happens with compact zooms and ultra wide angles for the s35 mirrorless segment.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I want to be cool. Which FF camera will make me the coolest?
    As my boi Steve Yedlin says:

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast