Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    12.2 stops at ISO 4000 is a dream come true for those of us shooting challenging lighting situations.

I haven't filmed weddings now in a few years (I think my last one was 2015) but I took one on this weekend for a close connection. I will look forward to putting the S1H through it's lowlight, dynamic range stretching paces.
    Would like to hear back from you on your overall shooting experience with it and once you edit and grade. What about focusing in a wedding, high stress, quick moving environment? Audio? How are you getting your mic feeds into it?
    Stuff like that. The feature set looks amazing on the S1H but have seen multiple reports that the AF isn't very good and that the V-Log is tough to grade and that the camera has zero mojo, would be good to hear your impressions.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    The seemingly high DR numbers are really just a result of extensive NR.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Would like to hear back from you on your overall shooting experience with it and once you edit and grade. What about focusing in a wedding, high stress, quick moving environment? Audio? How are you getting your mic feeds into it?
    Stuff like that. The feature set looks amazing on the S1H but have seen multiple reports that the AF isn't very good and that the V-Log is tough to grade and that the camera has zero mojo, would be good to hear your impressions.
    Will absolutely report back once I put it through paces.

My biggest concern right now is "mojo"... BMD and Arri have this in spades, I even really like the Canon look. I also always loved the 2014 Varicam LT look. The EVA1 and GH cameras never had mojo I loved but they were such good tools. I think the same may end up being true of the S1H, but we will see. Currently I am more so banking on lenses and grading to add mojo as that tends to be a pretty big variable.

I won't be using AF at all on this wedding so I won't be able to report, call me crazy, never have. I'll be doing MF on Zeiss Milvus. I set focusing peaking to the least sensitive setting and a bright neon green to make it pop. You can also use a monitoring LUT option to swap the LCD to black and white and it really pops focus peaking. Good manual focusing rings and a lot of practice is my "AF". This has worked well for me with Voigt Noktons on GH, I will report on how it compares on S1H.

Audio - I have the Panasonic XLR adapter, a MixPre-D (currently for sale!), and a MixPre 6 ii. I won't be relying solely on this camera for audio, I will also be employing GH5, 5S, and EVA1 so there's a lot of input options. And some Rode VideoMic Pro and Stereo Mic X for scratch audio. Tascam DR10L for lavs. Direct soundboard feed for ceremony and toasts with backup lavs. 32-bit float point is my safety net, a OMB's best friend.

Vlog - we'll see if its tough to grade... I was expecting it would be roughly the same as the EVA1 given the same curve and color.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinhello View Post
    Marvin, do you have any insight if "0" is really a true "OFF" for the S1H noise reduction?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinhello View Post
    How can you be sure?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    12.2 stops at ISO 4000 is a dream come true for those of us shooting challenging lighting situations.
    Especially when you factor in the way Cinema5D do their DR tests (which I like), this would equate to 14 anywhere else.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    First impressions after reviewing footage from shooting.

High stress, yes, not enough time in the wedding. Between the 24-105 and Sigma 18-35 handled everything like a champ. Ran some milvus when time allowed in the chaos and those are extra gorgeous. Manual focus all the way, all critical shots in focus, 90% of others, a few misses. I am dissapointed in the focus peaking, though, it needs a firmware update. it's finicky, and worse than the GH5. There are -2, -1, 0, 1, 2 settings. On GH5 I generally would run at the equivalent of -2, that is, the least sensitive. This helps me make sure I am actually in focus when I see the lines. S1H sucks for that right now. For some reason it's VERY hit or miss when I can even see ANY highlights below 0. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I ended up binding one of the front function keys to the front 2 buttons (along with IS boost) so I could rapidly switch the peaking level on a per shot basis. Not fun. But it worked.

For fast moving, the GH5 line is easier. The lenses are just so light, you can carry a bunch on a lens belt and changed them one handed with a Thinktank belt and camera strap. S1H and FF glass needs more care for the lens change. It's heavier. But all in all I thought it did a great job and the massive jump in IQ is worth it.

So far, checked out a bunch of shots. I dunno about no mojo. I mean, I have good glass, so it helps. But especially the Zeiss shots. Stuff looks really nice. Vlog I haven't messed with the grade too much but with a quick adjustment layer, yes, it is going to be more work than the Leeming LUT baseline. I'm not as happy with the look right out but when I tweak the shots I get much closer. But isn't this just learning on any curve? I'll have to look at why people say its so hard to grade...

Hey Paul. We need Leeming LUT for full vlog on EVA1 and S1H. He said it's just a curve adjustment. I'd love to see some TLC on this curve cause I'd rather baseline with that.

Can't really comment on the audio in the way you'd probably want as mentioned I run accessories. MixPre 6 ii w/32-bit is rad for this kind of stuff. I could plug it into the soundboard feed, ballpark it, any peaks it takes care without being monitored. I can run super fast stressed out stuff and not worry on the levels. It's bullet proof for the OMB. I'm not advocating being sloppy, but then, you can be - and it sounds brilliant. It's more "set it as perfect as you can, and it will take care of the rest" and that's great.

I built a little rig with handles, QR to the MixPre, Senn 8060 and threw it on the easy rig. Boost IS on an Easy Rig with the S1H is kind of breezy. You just stand there and hold the camera steady and boost IS locks it down. I was at 105mm for some toasts and the thing looks like it's on a tripod, and my back is happy.

EDIT: Forgot to add low ISO. 10k and 12.8k hold up great for the super lowlight stuff, the grain is pleasing like a natural film grain look, doesn't look like bad noise at all. And neatvideo cleans right out if undesired. Very little to complain about. The native 48hz is also wonderful to have vs just the 60hz, you just double the speed to get normal audio back out of it or turn slow motion into high shutter non slow motion if needed (though I always try to shoot for the intended speed, it's nice to have a quick rock solid switch for such - especially the audio portion).
    Last edited by filmguy123; 11-04-2019 at 02:44 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    New S1 Fixes ( I expect the next S1H Update Will Include These )
    Cool

9. Collapse Details
    Leica announced SL2, full frame 47 MPX but one can shoot center-crop APS-C too. Basically, a modded S1R - 400 Mbps All-I - but at a price of an AMG ($6,000 body only). Still, the colors are gorgeous even if ISO sucks.

10. Collapse Details
    So looks like S1H May have a seperate firmware update cadence...

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast