Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    If you go to a real cinema people decide to sit close or far away because that's the experience they like. Yet at home we invent a single distance. It's subjective, not objective, and no longer based on any science I can determine.
    Some people sit close because they were tardy. ;)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I have a 106" screen and sit about ten feet from it. I want to be enveloped by the image to a degree, and look around some. More absorbing to me. You also learn more about how a good director, cinematographer, cameraman and editor direct the eyes. In a movie theater, I usually sit about 3/4" the distance back as the screen is wide. In most stadium style multiplex theatres this is usually about dead centre. In an IMAX theater, about three rows from the back.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Recommended distances, with decimal point results are as daft now as they were in the 70's when 26" was considered huge! The figures are seemingly based on subjective criteria that change so regularly that comparisons are meaningless. Once we moved away from 4:3 we've had to screens with no real fixed aspect ratio and squeezes and stretches to make screens that are 16:8 or 15:9 fit. Nobody ever measures a screen and does the maths anymore. For eye comfort, the action needs constraining within angles, measured in degrees, but because its a sales specification it's been pushed to promote bigger and bigger. If you go to a real cinema people decide to sit close or far away because that's the experience they like. Yet at home we invent a single distance. It's subjective, not objective, and no longer based on any science I can determine.
    People sit all over the place in the “cinema”, because they have to put the seats all over the place, because not everyone can sit in the exact same sweet spot and they can’t build a normal sized theater with just a handful of seats in that sweet spot or they’d go broke. They need to fill it up with as many people as they can per showing. But that’s exactly why I choose to go to the theater usually in the middle of the week and the last/late showing of a movie, so that I can get that seat, that is centered vertically and horizontally.

4. Collapse Details
    There are two types of people in the world: those that want to have to turn their heads to follow the helicopters across the screen in the opening of Apocalypse Now! and those that like to look at movies like they look at postage stamps.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

5. Collapse Details
    Ha! My copy of Apocalypse Now 4K remaster arrives this week - looking forward to that

6. Collapse Details
    Funny you guys mention Apocalypse Now.

Last weekend I saw Apocalypse Now: Final Cut IMAX, and it was simply stunning!
    And yes Mitch, my eyes (and head) were constantly scanning that masterful opening choppers shot- my god, the choreography!!!
    (quite a bit of grain in that shot, too).

An incredible cast, and I think Robert "Charlie Don't Surf" Duvall's part was the role of a lifetime...
    "I Love the Smell of Napalm in the Morning", "You either surf or fight!"

40th Apocalypse Anniversary!

7. Collapse Details
    When I was in college I saw Apocalypse Now in 70mm at the Cinema Dome in Hollywood. Gorgeous images and sound that shook the whole theater. One of the top five movie going experiences of my life.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

8. Collapse Details
    I measured my projector the other night and I keep the screen at about 74" and watch it from about 11' away. I tend to like to be a little further away from the TV/movie screen unless I know going in that it's a Roger Deakins movie or something where the camera work will likely be subtle and slow, then I might move a little closer.

I think I might be scarred from sitting too close to the movie theater for Bourne Supremacy - I was NOT ready for all the caffeine Paul Greengrass gave to his camera ops on that one. 5 minutes in I was exhausted and pulling my neck as far back as I could. The irony is that on a smaller screen like my projector at home the frenetic handheld feels great, but on the big screen it was way too much.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    I measured my projector the other night and I keep the screen at about 74" and watch it from about 11' away. I tend to like to be a little further away from the TV/movie screen unless I know going in that it's a Roger Deakins movie or something where the camera work will likely be subtle and slow, then I might move a little closer.

I think I might be scarred from sitting too close to the movie theater for Bourne Supremacy - I was NOT ready for all the caffeine Paul Greengrass gave to his camera ops on that one. 5 minutes in I was exhausted and pulling my neck as far back as I could. The irony is that on a smaller screen like my projector at home the frenetic handheld feels great, but on the big screen it was way too much.
    My primary set in my den is 92", but I'm seriously thinking about replacing it with a front projection system. I've been waiting for the new LG laser 4K HDR ultra-short-throw unit to drop(it was announced at CES this year). I just got a notice from B&H last week, I believe, that they are finally in stock. So real world reviews should start popping up here shortly. It'll do 120" from 7.2" from the screen, which means I can probably just remove my current set from atop the component cabinet and the projector can sit behind the center channel unseen, so all I need to do is pick a screen and hang it. Well, I'll probably have to slide the towers out and move a lamp, too. But I'd finally be in the THX seating distance zone... ; )

10. Collapse Details
    I’m terribly nearsighted so every night I fill my vision before going to bed by mounting my iPad on the gooseneck arm I have rigged by my pillow. It suspends the 11” screen about 3.5” from my face, which is my perfect focus distance without glasses. Great way to fill your field of view and the audio has a nice stereo effect at that distance.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast