Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    I've never heard of any shooter choosing ALL-I recording over IPB compression because it's easier to edit.
    That's the sole reason to do it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    See the answer above. Smaller is not a desirable feature for ENG cameras. Function dictates form and the Betacam/F800/F900/Z450 form factor is just about perfect for handheld shooting and even by far the best for tripod.
    Yes. You are correct, sir.

3. Collapse Details
    agreed .. a doc/news camera .. you cant put on your shoulder with a side mounted EVF.. you might as well just go straight to the hospital and book yourself in for back surgery ..

4. Collapse Details
    +1

Chris Young

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Forget the codec, it's the camera that is the real news. I've already seen it at NAB and it is killer. 4K, 3-chip, CMOS, global shutter, S-LOG, native B4 mount, with all the bells and whistles of a traditional ENG shoulder-mount camera. This camera will become the go-to camera for sports, wildlife, news, run & gun, etc. I'll have one in my hands soon for testing and I'm already thinking my F55's days might be numbered. I'm so looking forward to getting back to an 22x servo zoom lens. Sadly it won't have variable ND, but I lived without that for 40 years so I'll manage.
    I've had the F55 since 2013, already ridden its probable market value to the bottom, that can only continue, yet it's still a higher tier camera than 95%+ that's out there regardless of spec. It's a known quantity that I've taken care of, it's taken care of me, why unload it now?

I can hear the 2/3rd's shoulder mount nostalgia in your voice, a shoulder mount eng shooting style I liked too but its targeted for live broadcast, live events, news. I can't use it because it's too big for weddings, none of my peers would dare try, pan it to the right and slap a guest on the cheek with the lens, bang it on the walls inside the dressing rooms. The F55 is too big as well but you can plop it on a tripod for long reach shots of the ceremony, same as a shoulder cam. For stock footage shoulder cam can work well but its connectivity features go under utilized. I wish there was an answer, but the F55 is still relevant, it's not a dog and I'm not putting it down.

6. Collapse Details
    If I had an F55 there is no way I would be ditching it. Or my FS7 for that matter. The F55 is a beautiful dog. But there again there is certain TV work where they just don't want S35 type material and where they still request of all things my PDF XDCam. It sits there looking quite forlorn at times but hell when I work with it with its beautiful 22 x parfocal lens I do have to admit that from a point of pure functionality it just about kills anything else in ergonomics. If I have close quarters cramped shooting, like in the cab of construction tower crane way above the cityscape even an FS7 or F55 is a lump to work with. I got face shots of the crane operator with a Z90 in spots I couldn't even fit the bigger cameras in. Funny you mention slapping a guest on the cheek with an ENG camera. Years back on a presser I turned around with a Beta camera on my shoulder just in time to smack the Australian Governor General in the head with the V Loc battery. Security descended on me from every direction. I apologized and the GC looked at me somewhat awry with a grin and waved security away. A touch embarrassing I must admit.

Chris Young

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details
    That Z750 looks like a very solid performer. And certainly love the ENG form factor. They say... " In fast-moving applications where capturing a second shot is not possible, the Z750 is the ideal choice.” But at the price range this will be - seems odd that Sony left off the variable ND and even dual ISO.
    In very related news - Fuji announced two new 2/3-inch UHD broadcast lenses - https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/08/...adcast-lenses/

9. Collapse Details
    I think for 2/3Ē ENG cams variable ND isnít as big a deal. I love vari ND and do believe itís an amazing advancement in the tech, but itís really a tool for applications where you donít want to mess with your depth of field. With ENG thatís not really a thing, most stuff is so fast moving and fluid that your fingers are always on the iris riding it, and regardless of the situation youíre not going to get a super shallow dof with that sensor.

I like the Amira as the bridge between the 2/3Ē world and the S35 world. With the proper lens it can give you the same balance, it has physical switches where you want them, and you donít need to rig it out. Throw it in a camera bag and go.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    If I had an F55 there is no way I would be ditching it. Or my FS7 for that matter. The F55 is a beautiful dog. But there again there is certain TV work where they just don't want S35 type material and where they still request of all things my PDF XDCam. It sits there looking quite forlorn at times but hell when I work with it with its beautiful 22 x parfocal lens I do have to admit that from a point of pure functionality it just about kills anything else in ergonomics. If I have close quarters cramped shooting, like in the cab of construction tower crane way above the cityscape even an FS7 or F55 is a lump to work with. I got face shots of the crane operator with a Z90 in spots I couldn't even fit the bigger cameras in. Funny you mention slapping a guest on the cheek with an ENG camera. Years back on a presser I turned around with a Beta camera on my shoulder just in time to smack the Australian Governor General in the head with the V Loc battery. Security descended on me from every direction. I apologized and the GC looked at me somewhat awry with a grin and waved security away. A touch embarrassing I must admit.

Chris Young
    I live in a world where I straddle the line and time is split between my F55/C300 and my (2/3”)P2 VariCams. Outside of sit-downs, when I’m shooting, I’m at my happiest with my Vari’s. Nothing beats the ergonomics, operability and lens range.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast