Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    ... I love some of the comments by the ignorant on the Alpharumors sight. Some boob said, "I'm more interested in the global shutter features, Sony finally introduced it in the consumer camcorder, should we expect it to arrive on the a7sIII too?" ...
    A7SIII came out half a year ago. It's called Panasonic S1.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Doug - can you explain the codec
    No, I really don't know enough about it yet to offer any meaningful comments.

3. Collapse Details
    Is it for that (new eng) camera.. or a possible upgrade to smaller cameras (either as FW or just in furutre models)

doubtless it would be an upgrade on the little cams.

4. Collapse Details
    Another thing - why are the ENG cams still so big? They have not got smaller since the tapedeck was removed.
    Id love a small 2/3 camera with a half decent look

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Another thing - why are the ENG cams still so big? They have not got smaller since the tapedeck was removed...
    I'd think, since they have a fixed long heavy zoom, they might as well have some balance for the shoulder mounting. Hypothetically, of course, they could have gone to a smaller, smartphone size, sensor and smaller zoom a la Nikon 1000. But ... this is a high end pro camera and they want low light capabilities too for their late afternoon golf, bike/auto racing coverage.

6. Collapse Details
    Another thing - why are the ENG cams still so big? They have not got smaller since the tapedeck was removed.
    Id love a small 2/3 camera with a half decent look
    See the answer above. Smaller is not a desirable feature for ENG cameras. Function dictates form and the Betacam/F800/F900/Z450 form factor is just about perfect for handheld shooting and even by far the best for tripod.

7. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Doug - can you explain the codec

It would be a step up in a mirrorless, but not as 'good' as the FS7?
    I don't trust CODEC comparisons based upon specs. I want to see comparisons based on actual footage shot because the implementation of a CODEC is everything.

When ALL-I 400 Mbit 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 encoding was added to the Panasonic GH5 there was essentially no visual difference when compared to Long GOP IPB 150 Mbit 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 footage, but depending on what you were shooting you might see some differences in motion cadence. ( Long GOP is not a good choice for fast moving subjects ) I would expect similar differences with Sony Long GOP IPB 200 Mbit 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 footage.

8. Collapse Details
    Im just wondering if potential (Sony mirrorless) B cams will be looking to match better?
    Are you talking about matching recording formats? -- or matching color?

The problem with matching color is that you need to pick something to match to -- maybe the Venice? or F55? or my old favorite, the F3? I personally am not interested in using the color from the FS7 as a standard to match to.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Long GOP is not a good choice for fast moving subjects
    Sorry, but this is just nonsense.
    Also, there is no difference motion cadence wise.

The only advantage an all-intra encoding has over long-GOP is that non-sequential frame seek time is much faster when you edit clips.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Sorry, but this is just nonsense.
    I remember a thread from 5-6 years ago where people were comparing frames of fast moving water that were using IPB compression against ALL-I, and there were motion-cadence distortions appearing in the IPB footage that were not appearing in the ALL-I footage. I've also seen this done with fast pans of people walking/running, where the motion in the IPB footage did not look as natural as the ALL-I footage.

I've never heard of any shooter choosing ALL-I recording over IPB compression because it's easier to edit. ( I know that there can be a big difference, especially with h.265 compressed footage, but I've never heard of anyone saying "I shoot ALL-I because I want easier to edit footage". )

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast