1. Collapse Details
    Live Streaming Question
    So I'm doing a little live streaming soon and wanted to check because it's good to check with other people who know what they're doing!

We're going to be connecting a Canon C500 to a Teradek Vidiu Pro by an HDMI cable and then the Teradek by an ethernet cable to, well, a router. RTMP out.

Is there anything I should know about? Like something on the HDMI cable? Or something I just don't know about?

2. Collapse Details
    Haven't used that encoder, but it should work fine. One thing to note is that you need a continuous signal on most encoders, if it drops for a moment (like a battery change), it may stop the encoding until the encoder resets, or you manually reset it. It is worth adding this to your testing. Also good 720p is better than bit rate starved 1080 (or higher). Keep your viewers in mind (assuming out on the web), they may not be able to receive really high bit rate streams over their junk connections (Spectrum users!).

Mistserver seems to work pretty well, and you can get a free version that takes a few different RTMP type input streams, I have one at work to see the studio output at my desk. I have been using an old Matrox encoder, but for our regular Youtube streams, stepping up an AJA HELO device. The Matrox will be relegated to the internal stream for desktop monitoring until it burns out (runs really hot!).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Wow! Who'd have thought it? The Canon C500 is a fantastic live streaming camera for a sports event! I had no idea!

I didn't realise that it'd be so easy to set up, that fantastic evf (still the best I've used) is superb for pulling focus on when outputting sports events and battery life is outstanding because it's just outputting a stream! And I can switch between internal and V-mount to maintain the stream! The ergonomics also bizarrely work well for the sporting stuff I'm doing and it's super sturdy so helps when it takes a knock because that's what happens in live environments!

The huge range (everything from colours to dynamic), NDs etc... also means when light changes, it is outstanding. Never thought I'd be using that low-light capability on a sports outfield!

I am truly astonished! I think used C500s are the bargain of the century!