Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    This is Pretty Cool : Programmable Camera Movement with the RONIN-SC and RONIN-S
    Cool

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Tracking seems rather complicated (but worth learning). The power zoom, however. On an auto focus lens/camera. That's big.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Tracking seems rather complicated (but worth learning). The power zoom, however. On an auto focus lens/camera. That's big.
    Been using the FF for zoom with the Crane 2 & EOS R with DPAF- super cool. Works great with Canon 16-35 F2.8 II as no lens extension when zooming. Need a riser platte to try with the RF 24-105, which does extend, however in testing the Crane 2 can handle the imbalance when setting the balance point midway between the zoom range. Just did a first full test today with Jacqui on rollerblades with an interesting audio solution that I've been wanting to try for a while and finally found the parts to make it happen: it worked great! (will post in another thread once I edit the video). This 7.5lb combination (with the new audio solution) is what I'm calling The Perfect Camera 1.0.

Regarding gimbals and smooth camera moves / programmability: $10K+ heavy tripod heads (and cameras) will be a thing of the past soon. Brought this up a while back and folks didn't seem to buy the idea. Now that I have a decent gimbal and seeing the Ronin software for camera moves, it's even more clear that the future of camera control is lightweight robotic control systems with relatively tiny cameras and no heavy tripods or heads. In fact, I can do amazing slow pans with the Crane 2 completely handheld- looks like a high-end tripod head on sticks!

I like the Ronin gimbals and software (had the Ronin-m), however their proprietary batteries are a challenge (had to purchased a new battery to sell the Ronin-m: both original batteries went into permanent hibernation mode (google it- common problem)). I'm using Samsung 30Q 18650 3000mAh 15A batteries ($6 ea. x3 = $18!) with the Crane 2 and they run a very long time! (the stock 2000mAh 10A batteries are rated at 18hours- the 3000mAh Samsungs should last ~50% longer).

Almost picked up the Ronin-SC for the cool software/features (in spite of the batteries), however I'm happy with simple Crane 2 since I can load it up with a fairly high payload and get great results.

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    That is very cool. Only thing (to me) that could make it cooler is if (somehow, maybe totally unrealistic) you could integrate a tracking feature where instead of you having to time yourself to the robotic move, it could tell that you're in position at point 1, now follow the hands to point 2, etc.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    ... Regarding gimbals and smooth camera moves / programmability: $10K+ heavy tripod heads (and cameras) will be a thing of the past soon. Brought this up a while back and folks didn't seem to buy the idea. Now that I have a decent gimbal and seeing the Ronin software for camera moves, it's even more clear that the future of camera control is lightweight robotic control systems with relatively tiny cameras and no heavy tripods or heads ...
    I've been saying this too. Obviously, this is why Alexa Mini, Sony Venice Two Piece (aka the Tethered Sensor Block) and other "camera-in-the-small-box" designs have been created.

Edited to add the link :

WRT, Venice Two Piece, it almost takes one back to the 1970's video cameras, where one had to have a recorder part in a separate tethered box.

https://www.redsharknews.com/product...%80%98portapak
    Last edited by DLD; 08-17-2019 at 10:59 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    You can use the app to setup some basic motion control actions for pan/tilt/roll and repeat the move well enough to do some pretty interesting things like this quick test I did back June of last year with the Ronin-s.

http://files.datausa.com/imageshoppe...ipass_test.mp4

I'm sure the app is better/more stable now, well I hope it is, haven't tried since... I was surprised the hardware was repeatable enough to do this. There are a lot of cool things the hardware could do if the software was more "pro-featured" I suppose...
    Jim Arthurs

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Arthurs View Post
    You can use the app to setup some basic motion control actions for pan/tilt/roll and repeat the move well enough to do some pretty interesting things like this quick test I did back June of last year with the Ronin-S
    Ha! That is hilarious. Amazing what can be done with relatively low cost gear now.

8. Collapse Details
    " $10K+ heavy tripod heads (and cameras) will be a thing of the past soon."

I disagree, as long as long and heavy lenses are needed to pan and track, for example wildlife, heavy tripods will be a blessing.

Another overlooked benefit with the Ronin is the motion time lapse function. Works great.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    @Jim Arthurs- that's pretty cool!

Crane 2 etc. can also use your phone to track objects with the phone's camera; recent gimbals can also use the phone's gyro/magnetometer to position the gimbal direction based on the phone's orientation.

@markoconnel- recent sensors and optics (and micro-gimbals) can easily fit into a 1" cube or smaller. I think @DLD posted a video with one of the crazy zooms possible with these small sensors.

Sure, carrying around a large tripod head & sticks with a giant camera & heavy zoom lens when in nature to capture birds can be fun / good exercise / nostalgic, however it's not necessary anymore. Tiny sensors, lenses, and gimbals that fit in your pocket can now (or will soon) out perform everything before them, and also provide creative ways to make shots via robotics.

When I owned the C300 II (purchased when it first came out), the biggest/heaviest head + tripod I felt was worth it was a Benro S8 + carbon fiber sticks (~$700). I knew it couldn't do butter-smooth pans, and that it would take major $$$ to get something big & heavy that could. Now with a gimbal + EOS R / 1DX II (probably a Sony 6K => 4K mirrorless soon), I can do butter smooth movements in all directions, while standing handheld. So much more creative freedom vs. a tripod and superior results!

For long range wildlife shots, especially with AI object & animal face tracking, far superior shots will be possible vs. heavy-head+tripod+manual track + lens-only stabilization. Future cameras (e.g. likely Sony) will provide AI data for gimbals to provide even more creative possibilities (so a cellphone isn't needed + run AI on the camera itself (e.g. telephoto view)).

I can see startups / small companies like Z-Cam creating camera systems which export AI image data for gimbals / robotic control systems and/or camera systems built around robotics (DJI is already starting to do this: drones, Osmo etc.).

The Osmo Pocket is decent for a 1st gen product: these systems will get smaller and better!

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    For pure reach, it's pretty hard to beat Nikon P1000. It's ~ 1.5 KG, so will sit on pretty much every monopod.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast