Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Teodor Miljevic View Post
    Next article. Jinnitech opens up Komodo finds its a plastic cage surrounding a z-cam s6 an and a black magic hdmi to sdi 6g converter. Jim and Jarred are furious: we have actually made a propriatery extra short hdmicable to fit inside the komodo kitcamera. (it took us three hours to solder that cable someone has to pay for the R&D) Red has also patended the unfair usage of made in america. So if you want to rebrand chinese made stuff and put them in a packaging you made yourself this is no longer legal. The process is called Redding and if you are interested beeing able to do this you can contact our layers to negotiate a fee, Said Camera magnate Jim Jannard before putting on his oakley branded soldering glasses to make another super short hdmi-cable. someone heard him mutter that he wished for the good old days when one could just go out in the forrest and milk some snakes for oil.

Sorry I couldnt help myself If anyone from the us patentoffice reads this it is a joke. If you dont know what a joke is it is when you use words to present a scenario so foreign to the reader that it makes them laugh. If you don't get the concept its a little bit like the work you are doing.
    I fear this might prove to be the truth and not a 'joke' at all! After the 'Red MiniMag' fiasco and the invalid patent sham, I'd be surprised if RED really developed their own sensors and processors from scratch. Indeed, a half baked copy of an existing product would make sense for the Comodo RED, considering it was originally going to be 'outsourced' to a chinese manufacturer (verbatim from one of the 'teasers') and that it was originally going to be 'just' an accessory for the Hydrogen phone.

Irrespectively, the Komodo would have to have some ground breaking performance vis-a-vis the competition to sell for more then twice the Blackmagic 6k, which does include a monitor and a full editing and colouring software suite in the price!

2. Collapse Details
    Atomos pays a royalty fee to RED for the use of Apple ProRes Raw. A ROYALTY FEE for the use of someone elses codec. 217 million iPhones shipped in 2018. I'd say Apples gonna fight big. Good.

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    The point of a patent is to allow innovators to profit from their inventions without undue copying. Once the patent expires, then the concept is fair game for everyone else to use. That’s where public domain benefits everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    For something to be patentworthy it should be (a) new and (b) not obvious.
    I see two problems with the current patent simple: lots of obvious ideas are allowed to be patented, and patents last too long... or too little. With the current system, all patents last 20 years. For software, I would make patents expire after two years, at most. For algorithms (e.g. stuff for self-driving cars) and electronics (processors, phones, cameras, etc), maybe four years, and I'm being very generous here. But then again for things like cancer drugs they need to last a lot longer: in recent decades, every cancer drug researched privately has tackled final-stage cancer patients, because drugs for the initial stages, altough much more beneficial for humanity, wouldn't be profitable, the clinical trial for them takes decades to complete and the patent is worthles by the time you've proven the drug is effective and side-effects are under control (for last-stage drugs, in three years you know if the patient has died or survived and you have plenty of time to get back your research investment).

4. Collapse Details
    Compressing raw files could be turned into an essential technology which limits fees that can be charged (or supposed to limit them), at worst this is what I see happening here and it could be pennies per unit to license this essential technology. Apple hs deep pockets and legal teams that do nothing but fight for them.

If it is really based on jpeg compression, then it could be deemed as prior work and could get throw out. Even just a wavelet compression of video files which had been done long before. You would have to argue that raw files are not video files. And if they are not video files, then they must be the same as raw stills files, which could then be prior art and depending on how it is done, could have to pay Canon, Nikon, or some other camera maker for their flavor of raw file.

5. Collapse Details
    This article came out two years ago and covers the battle royal on the HEVC front.

https://www.streamingmedia.com/Artic...ts-119090.aspx

This article updates the battle royal to round ten

https://www.thebroadcastbridge.com/c...l-to-dive-into

And this said four months ago, forget HEVC, we got AV1. The battle royal is yet to unfold.

https://www.ibc.org/manage/av1-codec...t/3737.article

This shtuff will never end.

6. Collapse Details
    The main claim is that the provisional patent did not include full disclosure of whatever they were claiming, and so when they filed the full patent it was an invalid patent due to it being more than one year since public disclosure. That makes all arguments about obviousness moot since there is no valid patent. The court will consider this claim before even addressing other reasons that the patent may be invalid.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    That thread over at Newsshooter is going nuts, almost a brawl between posters. Very entertaining with a lot of trolling and ad hominem attacks.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    That thread over at Newsshooter is going nuts, almost a brawl between posters. Very entertaining with a lot of trolling and ad hominem attacks.
    Erik is on a rampage now. Comment Deleted.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Erik is on a rampage now. Comment Deleted.
    It's Summer, I'm stuck in editing purgatory for the next couple of weeks. So taking a rendering break and watching RED Fan Boys and Naysayers rumble is cheap entertainment ;-)
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    Back in the day one of my corporates was a legal seminar, one major issue discussed was companies trying to patent anything and everything even if they had no idea of how to implement it, in the hope someone else would and they could the licence it. Another stunt was buying up defunct companies partly for the IP of anything the business may have been working on.
    Everything involving the pig is above board.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast