Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    NewsShooter : Apple challenges RED over RAW patent legitimacy

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Oh, wow...now that’s something.

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details
    This is one of those obvius patents That should have never been granted. It has hurt and slowed down the camerabusiness for ten years. They have to be kind of slow, dimwitted or have some very secret bankaccounts in Switzerland(joke) people in the us patentoffice. Reds compressed raw, litepanels ledpanel patent or half of apples stupid patents. (Square phone with one Homebutton) maybe they Will Grant me a patent for oblong glassobject made for drinks or the super hightech Idea of computerperhepial with one button for every letter in the alphabet.
    I can not understand how two obvious things can be combined into something propriatery. They didnt invent raw and they certainly didnt invent jpeg2000. Even that more specific combo would be a stretch to patent in a non corporatebana republic but compressed raw internally recorded wow just wow.
    I look forward to seeing Apple destroy them. Hopefully their triumph creates glassshards that cut them from the glasshouse they just started a stonefight in. The sooner we kill bulls*%t patents the quicker we can create more progress and innovation.

6 out of 7 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    A story: Man becomes billionaire by buying cheap Chinese eyewear products and selling for super premium prices then takes that knowledge into the video camera world. In addition to selling cheap Chinese video products at extreme prices he also becomes a patent troll knowing his billions will stop most anyone from questioning his patents. He was wrong. Not the end of story.
    Last edited by mico; 08-16-2019 at 02:55 PM.

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Every company that can afford it does exactly the same thing Red does. They patent anything they can. So if you applaud Apple for going after Red, then you need to find a hero that is suing Apple and every other corporation.

Don't blame companies for doing this. It's the patent office that allows this nonsense to go on. Companies are forced to do this to stay in the game. I worked for a company that had thousands of patents. I had a quota to file patents. I filed anything that seemed like it might go through. The sole purpose of having them was so that they could negotiate a settlement when they got sued. Behind the scenes of these lawsuits is the lawyers who sit at a table and say "Well, if you sue us for this we will sue you for that." Then they decide how much time and money they want to spend on all the suits going on at any one time.

4 out of 6 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Every company that can afford it does exactly the same thing Red does. They patent anything they can. So if you applaud Apple for going after Red, then you need to find a hero that is suing Apple and every other corporation.

Don't blame companies for doing this. It's the patent office that allows this nonsense to go on. Companies are forced to do this to stay in the game. I worked for a company that had thousands of patents. I had a quota to file patents. I filed anything that seemed like it might go through. The sole purpose of having them was so that they could negotiate a settlement when they got sued. Behind the scenes of these lawsuits is the lawyers who sit at a table and say "Well, if you sue us for this we will sue you for that." Then they decide how much time and money they want to spend on all the suits going on at any one time.
    Yeah so. And I do blame the companies for this. Just a reminder: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/b...eme-court.html

and the court outcome: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/b...nt-trolls.html

and Apples got a $600 per hour paid expert to fight Red : http://www.reader.com/ipr.html

From Cliff Readers website:

" I am writing a history of MPEG, tracing the development of each of the coding tools from its origins to the final form in the standard. Examples of major coding tools are the DCT, Motion Compensated Prediction and Variable Length Coding. Examples of minor coding tools are DC Prediction and Coded Block Pattern. The history is interesting because many techniques were developed early, before economical implementation existed, and were subsequently reinvented (probably in innocence) when serious attention was being paid to digital video. In other cases, techniques were developed for niche applications and published outside mainstream journals. "

This guy has been in the game far far longer than Red and knows what he's talking about.
    Last edited by mico; 08-16-2019 at 02:58 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    This is excellent. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/b...eme-court.html

Hopefully, people will be able to spend more time innovating than wasting time writing patents. It's a really sick situation.
    Last edited by Paul F; 08-16-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast