Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I don't have the footage and the producer is in New Jersey . I'm in San Francisco and the event was in San Jose, so not possible to replicate and I can't check the footage that carefully. The producer does work with that company frequently and so will investigate on his return, but it happened about 30 min into an event so my guess is it will be hard to replicate. I know he has asked if anything odd was going on at that moment. It didn't affect any of the wireless handheld mics that presenters were using.

As I recall it was not either hiss or hum - just white noise sudden and loud completely obscuring the actual audio. I assumed at first it was my camera only and only found a few minutes later that it had hit both cameras when I turned to tell the other Op. Oddly it seemed I could still see the level meter moving as though it was seeing the normal audio , so I thought perhaps it was only in headphone circuit , but indeed it was on the recording. I'll ask if I can get a sample to post here.

2. Collapse Details
    Did you check at the time to see whether audio channels 3 and/or 4 experienced the problem as well?

3. Collapse Details
    That's an interesting question . I'll try to pose a few of these questions to the producer. But are you asking because you have any thoughts about what the cause might have been or just fishing for more info? ( Nothing wrong with that though.)

4. Collapse Details
    Is the venue equipped with cell reception jammers?

5. Collapse Details
    Didn't realize that the sound was such a piercing loud white noise. If that's the case I would tend to agree paulears. One spurious unexplainable burst of RF interference of some kind or something else happening on a circuit close by somewhere that just happened to have had an impact on your audio. The only other thing that comes to mind and we think we worked out what caused it was on a stadium job during setup where long cables runs had lazily been dragged over carpet down long hall ways. They had had built up a load of static charge and suddenly something added to the system caused them to discharge causing a loud white noise spike but once that had happened everything was fine until another cable was plugged in, same again. One bright lighting crew member suggested it might be static and so the next cables runs were rolled out carefully and no further issues. Who knows if that was the cause. It's all a bit black magic to me, no pun intended!

Quote: "BTW - Would you ever use that isolation transformer for a mic that mounted on the camera?"

Never done it Lenny. There is always a first time I guess. Don't think I would but then again the thought has never crossed my tiny mind. Sometimes audio is still a bit of a black art to me.

Chris Young

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    That's an interesting question . I'll try to pose a few of these questions to the producer. But are you asking because you have any thoughts about what the cause might have been or just fishing for more info? ( Nothing wrong with that though.)
    Fishing for the big picture... I found it interesting that the audio meters seemed to be working correctly through this. To me that would indicate that the issue was introduced downstream of the audio signal being read in the meters -- which might also have meant that the introduction took place after the audio was split out to channels 3 & 4?

Also thinking that laverdir's question about the cellphone jammers might be a cause...

In the past I've run into issues where long xlr runs have acted as antennae to bring electrical rf interference into audio tracks, but never happened to me with a camera mic.

The fact that this is happening with two cameras, both affected only on camera mic channel, makes me favor some kind of electrical interference that suddenly came into play. But why it wouldn't show up in the meters is also strange???

7. Collapse Details
    Its weird all right. Kind of scares me about what I always consider a completely reliable backup audio . What if its some new kind of RF that will become more common.

I'm not entirely sure about the audio meters though.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    What if its some new kind of RF that will become more common.
    That's why on interviews I usually run one cable boom mic and one wireless. Touch wood I have never had drama with both at the same time. On really old frail people or in a case where there is no possibility to run a wireless, due to the type of clothing or some other reason I will run two mics on the boom. One with a wireless butt plug and the other on cable.

Chris Young

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12