Thread: Z-Cam E2C?

1. Collapse Details
    Z-Cam E2C?
    So I've been thinking about getting a used BM Micro Cinema Camera to have something small that shoots "better" images than my GH2's, by better most of that would be 1080/60p. Another thread brought up a Z-Cam model that I wasn't familiar with, so I started looking. What I found was the E2C camera for $800 which is pretty close to the used prices on a BMMCC, pretty much half way between used and new. But the big thing is that the E2C should have a wider range of supported SD cards (a current real problem for the BMMCC, OG Pocket, and 5 inch VA). And the E2C now records ZRAW (or so I've read). Yes it is only 11.5 stops of DR, but I can probably live with that.

Has anyone actually used this camera yet? I did read an article from Erik Naso, but this was based on the pre-ZRAW firmware (??) and at the time he did not have a Windows computer to handle the ZRAW software required to "develop" the images to DNxHR or other codec.

2. Collapse Details
    Mine just arrived. I'll be posting a review and menu guide soon at focuspulling.com.

For limited purposes, it's surprisingly great. I hate ProRes (inefficient for acquisition, really just an intermediate codec for old Final Cut Pro) and dig H.265 for efficiency and 10-bit performance. I couldn't care less about high frame rates: no interest in shooting weddings with bridezillas in slow motion, etc. RAW is on the way via firmware. The auto-focus is at least a little better than the BMPCC4K/6K with active lenses. Battery life is longer than the BMPCC4K/6K too, even though the same battery - and there's no fan either, but a temperature readout right there on the display. Even though the packaging states iOS control only, the beta Android app works great: with the robust Wi-Fi antenna, you really get a solid viewfinder wireless connection with nominal latency, and full touchscreen controls of every function.

As a B- or C-camera during live events/music especially, it's a great (because it's cheap) thing to bring alongside better cameras. But the rolling shutter is the worst I've ever seen (no, seriously): so this thing really needs to be something you just set and forget on sticks.

3. Collapse Details
    If rolling shutter is bad, then it's a no go at any price.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    If rolling shutter is bad, then it's a no go at any price.
    Totally disagree. I've already described the fixed position use case.