Thread: AG-CX350 V Log?

1. Collapse Details
    AG-CX350 V Log?
    We shoot high contrast subjects and having tried HDR (and experimenting with DRS) I'd like to try V Log if it's available for the CX350.
    Can anyone supply a link or information about it's availability please? I realise it's a paid upgrade.
    I can find no mention of V Log in Barry Green's book.
    Thanks,
    Andy

2. Collapse Details
    The CX350 doesn't have V-Log. It has Film Rec, and Filmlile 3, and Hybrid Log, but V-Log isn't an option.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    The CX350 doesn't have V-Log. It has Film Rec, and Filmlile 3, and Hybrid Log, but V-Log isn't an option.
    Thank you Barry, I've tried Filmlike 3 and it appears to work perfectly for our requirements.

I only wish your excellent book had been available when the camera was first launched, I'm sure it would have saved many users (including myself) a great deal of frustration at the lack of proper instructions for this otherwise fantastic video camera.

Andy

4. Collapse Details
    I tried to get it done as quickly as possible. Unfortunately I had very little lead time this time.

As far as V-Log goes, I did an event at FilmTools last night and had a chance to discuss that with some of the top folks at Panasonic. As always there was no definitive statement made, but the gist is that they acknowledged that they have heard loud and clear that there is strong interest in adding V-Log to the CX350 and they are strongly considering it. So maybe someday it might happen. For now though there are no concrete plans to implement it, so I still recommend Filmlike 3 or HLG for those wanting the most dynamic range from the CX350.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    To be clear, we have asked the engineers if V-Log can be added. They have to determine if there is a way to squeeze it into the architecture of the camera.

As for Barry's book, he turned it around pretty quickly, but he couldn't start until we could get him a properly working sample. The window between our engineers getting the firmware fully functional and when we start to ship is pretty narrow. If the camera's ready we're gonna start selling them. And Barry delivered to us quite quickly but the unfortunate timing of the camera's launch meant that we were busy with NAB, CineGear and InfoComm, so it took us a bit of time to get his manuscript formatted into publishable form.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    To be clear, we have asked the engineers if V-Log can be added. They have to determine if there is a way to squeeze it into the architecture of the camera.
    I wanted to try V-Log because we were experiencing highlight burnout on high contrast subjects, but we're so pleased with Filmlike 3 that we don't feel the need to experiment with V-Log now because it involves extra work in post. Filmlike 3 is unbelievably good for high contrast subjects.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Given the fact that V-log has been around for a while, at least 3-4 years. It would be nice if Panasonic (in addiiton to the DVX200) would roll V-log on both the CX350 and the UX180 as an update.
    I figure if SONY can roll S-log on a consumer 1" camcorder then .......... well you know.

Just saying......

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    I tried to get it done as quickly as possible. Unfortunately I had very little lead time this time.

As far as V-Log goes, I did an event at FilmTools last night and had a chance to discuss that with some of the top folks at Panasonic. As always there was no definitive statement made, but the gist is that they acknowledged that they have heard loud and clear that there is strong interest in adding V-Log to the CX350 and they are strongly considering it. So maybe someday it might happen. For now though there are no concrete plans to implement it, so I still recommend Filmlike 3 or HLG for those wanting the most dynamic range from the CX350.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by andynick View Post
    I wanted to try V-Log because we were experiencing highlight burnout on high contrast subjects, but we're so pleased with Filmlike 3 that we don't feel the need to experiment with V-Log now because it involves extra work in post. Filmlike 3 is unbelievably good for high contrast subjects.
    Hmmm - Ill try that.