1. Collapse Details
    Contactless (MyRodeReel entry)
    It looks like this may not be the ideal post according to the guidelines which I wish I had read earlier.

I actually had sort of a production diary that I shared only via email with the team and I wish I had shared it here all along.

Anyway, I made a short and sent it to the Rode Reel competition

https://www.rode.com/myrodereel/watch/entry/7519

After sending it I noticed things I could have done better (hate my voice in most of the BTS and I am already getting help with that), so criticism is still welcome so that next time it will be better.

The film did not turn out exactly as I wanted, so, if you are really curious, you may want to check the script and shotlist here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y7...zHvAxX-UtjLKcL

And finally, the embarrassing part: The competition has a public's award (aka popularity competition) if anyone is so kind, I would love to get some votes.

Also, if anyone else has submitted an entry, feel free to use this thread if that's how it is done around here.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by aram View Post
    After sending it I noticed things I could have done better (hate my voice in most of the BTS and I am already getting help with that), so criticism is still welcome so that next time it will be better.
    Frankly, the footage looks like a misgraded or ungraded log video.
    It definitely does not look like anything Rec709.

3. Collapse Details
    Damn, Cary, not mincing words, are we?
    But criticisms welcome means criticisms welcome, so thank you.

The short was mostly shot in slog2 with an A6500 (there's a shot done with an A5100, which is quite obvious to me, but nobody has guessed it yet).

I guess you would say misgraded, since it was graded. I first used the sony LUT to convert from slog 2 to Rec. 709 (so I guess it was actually Rec. 709 at a point), but I did not like the resulting look. I found it too high contrast and over saturated, so I used some curves to manage the contrast (kept the darkest blacks black according to the scopes, but lifted the shadows quite a bit because I really dislike clipped blacks and there was a lot of clipping just after I applied the LUT). Then I just took the saturation back a tiny bit.

There are some adjustments to sharpness here and there and a bit of denoising on one shot, but that's it.

I do not love the look of every shot, but there are a few that I enjoy.

Out of curiosity, how would you have approached grading it?

4. Collapse Details
    Here are a couple of details I want to highlight.
    Now obviously I do not have access to the original log files so it is not very easy to make adjustments because a lot is already "baked in" and YouTube reencoded everything.

There are no blacks, everything is raised, in all scenes.

Here is an example (note that in DaVinci Resolve 0 is black on the scopes both for data and video levels):

black-levels-rode.jpg

Same frame but with more normal black levels and slightly warmer:

black-levels-rode-adj.jpg

Many scenes are lacking anything over mid-tones:

The light of the lamp should be a specular but on the scope it is hardly above a mid-tone.

white-levels-rode.jpg

Same frame but a bit more even-lighted:

white-levels-rode-adj.jpg

Look at this night shot:

night-rode.jpg

Very hard to adjust because a lot is already "baked in" but here is a bit more contrasty version:

night-rode-adj.jpg

5. Collapse Details
    Thank you so much Cary!

I have to say yes to the first shot. I actually prefer your grade. I modified curves a bit and did not get to what you did (which I still like better than what I have achieved) but I came close enough.

Regarding the second shot, I love where you took the sofa. It's less like the "real" colour but I do like it better. I am not so sure about the general increase of green in most of the image otherwise. Specifically about the brightness, I initially was surprised when you said there was nothing over midtones. I opened Resolve again and looked and by eye the lamp already looked like it was clipping to me. Then I checked scopes. We clearly have our scopes configured in a different way. I always put the brightness of the waveform at maximum and there's a noticeable peak of green at about 90%, but still, there should be no clipping and I was seeing it, so I went to scope configuration and, surprise! There is new option "extents" that shows the tiniest bit of clipping is actually going on!

I am going to put this one to taste (I don't love the way I did it either, but I would say the issues here have more to do with the way the scene is lighted than with the grading).

The third one, I actually quite like what you did by itself, but it feels quite "intense" and stylised, matching it to the rest of the shots in the "scene" would have given quite a vibe that would have been quite different from what I wanted to achieve.

Thanks again! There's one thing that you have really convinced me of, I should have pushed those blacks a bit lower.

If you feel like it, I would be happy to render a few short clips directly from the source so that you can have a go with better source material (no grade from me, no extra compression from youtube)