Thread: Lens vs.camera

1. Collapse Details
    Lens vs.camera
    Heey guys,

I am thinking about either buying a new camera or either a new lens. I would love to buy an atlas orion anamorphic lens and use it on my pocket 4k. Or either buy a new camera like the zcam f6. I feel the f6 will be used more as it can be used on every shoot. Allthough the anamorphic look will set my work more apart then a new camera I guess. So not sure what way to swing at this point. (I already own some lights, but an arri m18 sure is sweet, but the problem is that I usually shoot solo, so the m18 is out as I cannot set it up alone fast enough)
    What do you think is the best decision?

I shoot mostly corporate/branded stuff. But I want to move into commercials and at some point shoot shortfilms/features.

2. Collapse Details
    If you start with a UHD or greater source, I doubt that the intended audience would be able to tell the difference between anamorphic and spherical 16:9 that's been cropped to 2.39:1. I know that there's more to it than that, but the audience isn't likely to notice anything beyond aspect ratio & resolution.

3. Collapse Details
    Just get the one you like.

4. Collapse Details
    whats the point of one lens? surely you need at minimum a wide a mid and a CU lens.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    It's difficult to make recommendations without knowing your exact kit, but I'm going to guess that a new light will be more useful than an anamorphic lens, and possibly more useful than a zcam f6, considering that you already have a Pocket 4k, which should fill most of your shooting needs.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaroid22 View Post
    I am thinking about either buying a new camera or either a new lens.... I shoot mostly corporate/branded stuff. But I want to move into commercials and at some point shoot shortfilms/features.
    Ask yourself which will help you move in the direction you want to go; a more capable camera or an anamorphic lens.