Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Yes, so far it's the best configuration that I've been able to come up with. The camera's LCD is for touch focus (which is truly remarkable and greatly improving my keep rate), and the high-bright monitor is good for general composition and monitoring outdoors in bright sunlight. Ten or even five years ago I never would have imagined having this kind of technology available to me. All that's lacking is the most low-tech thing of all: the right top handle.
    Last edited by QuickHitRecord; 08-13-2019 at 11:53 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Haha! Go figure.

A handle is so important though. The wrong handle makes life difficult.

I posted this rig on a battery thread, but it also works to show the versatility of the handle i use. I put the EVF and Daybright 7” on the 15mm rod. That way they are fully articulating, and clear the handle. A little bulky, but is one of the few grab and go rigs. Just didn’t include the mattebox:

i like having the option of an EVF. And often i prefer it. But somethings a 7” makes life easier. And like you say, auto focus is so under rated in the video world, but is fast becoming a requirement.

3. Collapse Details
    I don’t have any pictures of it, but i have also put a dovetail rail on the top of my handle, and the attached the 7” monitor on a pivot bracket. That way i can slide it forward if i am doing low angle handheld, or slide it to the back if i am sitting on sticks for a long interview.

EDIT: actually, just decided to take a picture of it, since it was detached cuurently:

Last edited by James0b57; 08-14-2019 at 12:28 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I’ll say, i didn’t understand your first post, as i didn’t realize you had a screen there. Looking at C200s i’d never seen that configuration yet. Very Red like.
    That's why I asked too. Probably not a big task to make something, especially if you have an old handle that is close and just need that riser piece to be made differently.

The other question would be, how well does it work if the monitor is on top of the handle? Probably wrecks balance and function, but worth asking.

5. Collapse Details
    James, that is one heck of a rig. Never realized that you also had an a7S ii. The Vocas stuff looks really nice, some of the best around.

Greg, I've found that putting the monitor on top of the handle makes the rig too top-heavy for my liking. However, my last setup involved attaching the monitor mount to the front of the Red-style handle. That took care of the clearance problem, but the center of gravity of the camera was off. Another option would be to flip the top handle back around so that the butt is facing the shooter, and attach it towards the rear of the top plate. But that would make the EVF unusable. It's a conundrum.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    James, that is one heck of a rig. Never realized that you also had an a7S ii. The Vocas stuff looks really nice, some of the best around.

Greg, I've found that putting the monitor on top of the handle makes the rig too top-heavy for my liking. However, my last setup involved attaching the monitor mount to the front of the Red-style handle. That took care of the clearance problem, but the center of gravity of the camera was off. Another option would be to flip the top handle back around so that the butt is facing the shooter, and attach it towards the rear of the top plate. But that would make the EVF unusable. It's a conundrum.
    Iíve never owned one. Always rented a friendís. I never wanted to buy another 8bit camera, and hundreds of A7 owners have cameras laying around, hardly being used. Figure i give them money than buy one.

With a dummy battery, a monitor is loght enough to go top mount for most of my setups, and it allows the handle grip to be mounted farther forward so the rig isnít fron heavy.

But you rig looks completely different, and you arenít using brick batts or anything.

7. Collapse Details
    OK, what if you went totally custom... What if the monitor mount pivot was built into the end of the handle? You could have a complete "loop" of a handle attached front and back. You could also (maybe) lower it to about 30mm between bottom of handle, and top of camera (maybe), 40mm would be better.

8. Collapse Details
    Hmm. Kind of like this?

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-cl...mini-1979.html

This is actually a great design. I'd just like to see the same thing at about 2/3 scale.

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, but as mentioned in a smaller and maybe no slider version.

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah, that looks pretty good. You just have to be gentle with the small rig stuff, as the wear out more quickly. But i guess you’ll just buy more and then adapt to a new rig any way.

Camera industry could be more thoughtful of waste. We’ll see. It is currently a consumer sport.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast