Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Compact/low profile top handle
    I have a C200, but this applies to all cinema cameras. I really don't like having a top handle that impedes the view of a center-mounted monitor. What are some of the smaller and less obtrusive top handles that you have found (that can hold the weight of a kitted out cinema camera -- let's say, 12lbs)? Here is one that I am looking at:

SmallRig MD2393
    smallrig-universal-top-handle-for-cinematic-cameras-md2393-02__49917.1565058204.jpg

For comparison, here is another top handle with more common dimensions:

SmallRig 1955
    1955-SR-2__85873.1514526762.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    A good low profile handle is worth itís weight in gold.

I have yet to find a good low profile handle.

Vocas currently makes my favorite top handle.

The one in your first photo looks promising.

I actually bought the second one. I used it temporarily till i could get a real handle.

My only gripe with smallrig is how weak the aluminum is.

3. Collapse Details
    What do you think of this handle?

NICEYRIG Camera Top Handle Handgrip with 15mm Rod Clamp Cold Shoe Mounts for DSLR Cameras/Camcorder/Action Cameras Cages https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCDGVK6..._IsMuDb3ARD7DF

4. Collapse Details
    What would you consider to be your "ideal" top handle? Needs:

#1 screw to common cages (defined bolt spacing)

After that, what size and shape (with dimensions)? Hanging off the front/back, or "gripable" over the camera body"? Hanging off could be lower, over the camera body requires a certain amount of height so you can get your fingers around it.

I have one like the second example, it mounts on a rail and moves though I have only moved it to create balance. Yes it is pretty tall, yes it does get in the way a bit. A look at the Wooden Camera page, and all their handles are tall.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    What would you consider to be your "ideal" top handle? Needs:

#1 screw to common cages (defined bolt spacing)

After that, what size and shape (with dimensions)? Hanging off the front/back, or "gripable" over the camera body"? Hanging off could be lower, over the camera body requires a certain amount of height so you can get your fingers around it.

I have one like the second example, it mounts on a rail and moves though I have only moved it to create balance. Yes it is pretty tall, yes it does get in the way a bit. A look at the Wooden Camera page, and all their handles are tall.
    Handles have to fit the user and the camera build. Considering how often shooters change their camera build, finding the right low profile handle involves more factors than it used to.

Best to have two or three handles.

I am constantly using different cameras and different builds. So, i’ve never been able to get one handle to do everything. Vocas is my go to, but it is a little taller than i need sometimes.
    Last edited by James0b57; 08-13-2019 at 10:31 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I actually bought the second one. I used it temporarily till i could get a real handle.

My only gripe with smallrig is how weak the aluminum is.
    I have a variation of this one right now on my C200, without the NATO clamp (which always seems to increase the overall height of the top handle in my experience). It's a little too long for the C200, but I have the center post in the middle and have been using it as a "T" grip -- two fingers on either side. However, I don't like how far back needs to extend and I don't fully trust the two little screws to bear all of that weight though. For heavier cameras, a solid piece of aluminum is better.

Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    What do you think of this handle?

NICEYRIG Camera Top Handle Handgrip with 15mm Rod Clamp Cold Shoe Mounts for DSLR Cameras/Camcorder/Action Cameras Cages https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCDGVK6..._IsMuDb3ARD7DF
    It looks nice but I personally like some contours for my fingers (or at least something with a little more width to fit my hand).

For my C200, I'd like to mount a top handle "backwards" facing my 5" monitor (mounted Red-style) but without blocking it. I could almost pull it off if SmallRig's top plate for the C200 was just a little longer. The little stubby top handle in my original post might fit the bill. I just wish that it had an offset so that one of your fingers could go around the back side of the post.

This one from Camvate almost fits the bill, but it's a little too long, and a little too tall:

s-l1600.jpg

I also have one of these from SmallRig, but it's about 33% too large. It would be great for a larger, heavier camera though:

71CtVtcAoFL._SL1500_.jpg

7. Collapse Details
    I'm a fan of these "scorpion" type top handles. They pull the end of the grip away from the monitor without sacrificing real estate for your hand. I just wish that there was a smaller one with a NATO clamp available.

SmallRig_Arri_Locating_Handle_2165_3__02301.1530586379.jpg

https://www.camvate.com/camvate-rose...ade_p1822.html
    (Can't seem to link to the image).

8. Collapse Details
    The rail adds a lot of height. Making one without the rail mount might not be that hard.

Kind of need to see your camera and a sketch of what you would want to go farther.
    Last edited by Greg_E; 08-13-2019 at 06:47 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Kind of need to see your camera and a sketch of what you would want to go farther.
    I didn't want to make this thread all about me and my ergonomic challenges, but rather about compact top handles in general. But since you asked:

IMG_0309.jpg

You can kind of see what I am going for here. If I can get a top handle that sits a little lower, I could slide the top handle forward to accommodate more fingers.

I really like that scorpion-style top handle from SmallRig, but I think it would put the front of the handle right where the current one already is. Plus, I don't want to be putting all of the camera's weight on a single Arri locking pin.

I ended up just ordering the new mini SmallRig handle (MD2393). It was only $40 and might be enough for my needs.

10. Collapse Details
    Please update. I’d be curious to know how the new handle works in the real world.

I’ll say, i didn’t understand your first post, as i didn’t realize you had a screen there. Looking at C200s i’d never seen that configuration yet. Very Red like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast