Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38
  1. Collapse Details
    #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,203
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern Caughey View Post
    Bought one 300d II on Friday, & after a bit of testing, picked up another today. These are my only single-color LEDs, but the allure of (relatively) powerful COBs won me over, especially ones that can be used with a ellipse (aka Spotlight Mount).

    Also picked up a Light Dome II, Mini Light Dome II, a pair of Fresnel 2X, plus a pair of Barndoors, & special ordered the Lantern (aka China Ball).
    Gotta buy in pairs! Looking forward to any notes you have Bern.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,203
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Keep us updated with how it all works out for you. I'm feeling more and more drawn to the idea of the versatility these things have.
    Mark how do you think you'd use them the most? I see myself going into the domes, spotlight mounts or bare with barndoors being the most frequent modifiers. I can't see the Fresnel attachment getting that much airtime, especially if you have a real Fresnel on hand, I could be wrong though. China ball will be awesome too if you have the room, though I think the LiteCloths may still be better for that set up because of the height (and I'm assuming weight) savings...
    Last edited by rob norton; 08-13-2019 at 01:17 AM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #13
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,803
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Gotta buy in pairs! Looking forward to any notes you have Bern.
    That’s why I spend so damn much on lighting, now... Just bought a pair of 1x1 Gemini’s. And a set of Astera Lightdrops(8). The last time I bought just a single light was a 2x1 Gemini last year during the group buy. It ate at me for months, but luckily LP put them on sale at pretty much the same price around December and I picked up a sister for the first one.

    It just sucks, because who knows if in ten years all of these lights we're dropping tens of thousands on now will still work or be supported.


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    1,053
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern Caughey View Post
    Bought one 300d II on Friday, & after a bit of testing, picked up another today. These are my only single-color LEDs, but the allure of (relatively) powerful COBs won me over, especially ones that can be used with a ellipse (aka Spotlight Mount).
    Please do report back on how you feel about the unit Bern, after using it a couple of times. I'm holding off (just barely) until I learn just a bit more about that spotlight mount...

    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    It just sucks, because who knows if in ten years all of these lights we're dropping tens of thousands on now will still work or be supported.
    I wonder about this quite a bit...and it's certainly a very valid point.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,203
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    That’s why I spend so damn much on lighting, now... Just bought a pair of 1x1 Gemini’s. And a set of Astera Lightdrops(8). The last time I bought just a single light was a 2x1 Gemini last year during the group buy. It ate at me for months, but luckily LP put them on sale at pretty much the same price around December and I picked up a sister for the first one.

    It just sucks, because who knows if in ten years all of these lights we're dropping tens of thousands on now will still work or be supported.
    Haha you’re in pretty deep! Those light drops look cool, need a report on those too.

    That’s a good point about service in years to come. I think while it’s tempting and sometimes appropriate to buy from smaller companies, any serious purchases can only be from the more established manufacturers. On the smaller side of things, I guess when selling the lights they’ll just provide a discount for the next bit of gear you’re buying. Otherwise they can be relegated to other duties eg backups or even props in shot. I have 4x intellytechs which get used as key/fill lights but as new tech comes in they’ll probably become more of a dedicated cloth set up to use only when their thin footprint is required. I’m sure support for the skypanels will be pretty strong or Arri would be toast (the SP is coming up to 4 years I think, not bad). Compare that with the 300d ii, which I doubt they’ll even make parts for in a decade.

    I like the look of the Cineo LB800 - https://www.cineolighting.com/products/lb800/. I’m sure it’d be appropriate to only buy one of these!


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #16
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,803
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Haha you’re in pretty deep! Those light drops look cool, need a report on those too.

    That’s a good point about service in years to come. I think while it’s tempting and sometimes appropriate to buy from smaller companies, any serious purchases can only be from the more established manufacturers. On the smaller side of things, I guess when selling the lights they’ll just provide a discount for the next bit of gear you’re buying. Otherwise they can be relegated to other duties eg backups or even props in shot. I have 4x intellytechs which get used as key/fill lights but as new tech comes in they’ll probably become more of a dedicated cloth set up to use only when their thin footprint is required. I’m sure support for the skypanels will be pretty strong or Arri would be toast (the SP is coming up to 4 years I think, not bad). Compare that with the 300d ii, which I doubt they’ll even make parts for in a decade.

    I like the look of the Cineo LB800 - https://www.cineolighting.com/products/lb800/. I’m sure it’d be appropriate to only buy one of these!
    I was hoping they were gonna be in before I leave for my shoot out of town, but it doesn’t look like they will. I ordered late last week and my dealer said the distributor had everything in-stock in their warehouse. But they had to be shipped to my dealer and then to me. I have some more sit-downs scheduled for the beginning of next week, too, so maybe they’ll get here before the weekend so I can try them out next week. I was just ranting on another thread about how we live in the age of Amazon 2 hour delivery on a lot of things and free 2 day delivery on almost everything else. I guess that’s why it cracks me up to see TV ads for mail order type crap that still says “please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery”. Heck, I’ve had Apple products ship directly from the factory in China to my house in like a day.

    Wow. WTH is wrong with me and why am I on these shipping rants? I need to go to sleep. But hopefully I can have some good info to report on the Lightdrops by this time next week.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #17
    Senior Member Bern Caughey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,227
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    The last time I bought just a single light...It ate at me for months...
    Preach!
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 08-14-2019 at 11:11 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #18
    Senior Member Erik Naso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,357
    Default
    Bern, you're going to love working with these.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    480
    Default
    I think this might just be my "I can stop buying lights and rent anything bigger" light.


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #20
    Senior Member Bern Caughey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,227
    Default
    Aputure Bowens Mount Spotlight Officially Released
    by Erik Naso
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/08/...ally-released/

    Gaffer & Gear 53: Apurture Spotlight Mount
    by Andrew Lock
    https://youtu.be/TmACo7ZIHQY
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 08-28-2019 at 12:16 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •