Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Aputure COB 300d II
    Wasn’t sold on the original 300d, but version II is intriguing, especially for use with Apurture’s upcoming ellipsoidal attachment.

Believe Erik’s review was previously posted somewhere on the forums, but here it is again.

Hands-on with the Aputure LS 300d II
    by Erik Naso
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/07/...nds-on-review/

And today Andrew Lock posted a 40 minute review on his Vlog, Gaffer & Gear.

https://youtu.be/5wve6XW6lzw

Andrew was impressed enough by the lamp that he thinks he can send it out on rentals, & is planning on adding one or two to his lighting package. I was disappointed by the beam of the updated Fresnel attachment, but it does intensify the output significantly so appears useful for punching through a diffusion frame, & while Andrew can’t release his review of the ellipse yet due to a media embargo, he is calling it ‘the Game Changer”.

He also appears impressed by the new, or updated, softbox attachments, & will be dedicating a Vlog to them. I’m especially interested in the China Ball, & noticed Erik reviewed it recently, with an emphasis on using it for product photography.

Hands-On with the Aputure Bowens Mount Lantern
    by Erik Naso
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/08/...mount-lantern/

Would love to see a side-by-side comparison of the 300d II, & Hive’s “Super Hornet 575-C” (plus get a look at it’s mysterious ballast). Also looking forward to reports on K5600’s Joker 300, & Alpha 300, LEDs. All these options have strengths, & weaknesses, but the thought of getting three, or more, of the 300d II, plus optical attachments, for the price of one of the Hives, or K5600s, is appealing. After all, “Quantity has a quality all of its own”.
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 08-08-2019 at 02:27 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Starting to look like a pretty good product. I was pretty impressed with the barn doors/bare light. It looks bright enough to use with full CTO too.

Hive has a pretty tough sell on their hands for those looking for a daylight only light and don't need the RGB function.

3. Collapse Details
    If you need RGB or tungsten output, obviously the Aputure is out of the running. But I've just watched through Andrew's video and I'm not just intrigued, I'm flat out impressed.

The level of thought that's gone into the design is really delightful - it seems that every decision has been made with on-set users in mind. And that (sadly) doesn't always ring true with lighting manufacturers.

The black-out barndoor attachment looks great for sharp shadows and clean cuts. The output and colour rendering look excellent. The ability to use the Fresnel to genuinely control beam angle and intensity is FANTASTIC (I'm totally okay with the sacrifices you make on shadow quality, for the versatility it offers - it's not a Fresnel light afterall).

Aputure's Lightdome II and the Projector attachment (which I got to use at one of their roadshows) are both excellent. And the build-quality and transport case all seem excellent as well.

It just looks set-ready to me. Quick to deploy. Difficult to damage. And with a LOT of versatility.

I'm very well positioned with my current lighting kit. But the versatility that this offers (and the output) certainly has me thinking.

4. Collapse Details
    This one is next on my hit list. I've been using the 120D mkII for a few months which is a great fixture, but the extra poke afforded by the 300 will well worth the investment.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Starting to look like a pretty good product. I was pretty impressed with the barn doors/bare light. It looks bright enough to use with full CTO too.

Hive has a pretty tough sell on their hands for those looking for a daylight only light and don't need the RGB function.
    To me, RGB is the whole point of the Hive C series. Using them for color is probably 80%+ of what I use them for. So, if you donít want/need that ability, you can probably save some money and look at single color/bi-color only fixtures.

6. Collapse Details
    I have 2 of the 300D V1 lights and just ordered 2 more of the 300D V2. I have Gemini's and flex panels etc in our studio but find the 300D to be one of the most versatile lights we have. Use it with a large softbox, spacelight attachement, fresnel, and now the lantern and leko attachments. It really has become the swiss army knife light for us and I am really impressed with the changes to V2. Aputure seems to really listen to its users feedback as they fixed pretty much all my little gripes about the V1 models.
    Frame Farm Media
    www.framefarmmedia.com

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    This one is next on my hit list. I've been using the 120D mkII for a few months which is a great fixture, but the extra poke afforded by the 300 will well worth the investment.
    +1

And with the incredible dimming capabilities and the feature to go on le battery at lower power there is little holdin it back in functionality. The 120d models are smaller is about it.

8. Collapse Details
    aputure, as a lighting fixture company, has generally been putting out decent products.

will the 300dmk2 last a generation or two like my actual arri built 650?

perhaps not.

but by then the technology would have moved on and there will be less need for a 20yr old led light.

ymmv

rob
    smalltalk productions
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Aputure's Lightdome II and the Projector attachment (which I got to use at one of their roadshows) are both excellent. And the build-quality and transport case all seem excellent as well.

It just looks set-ready to me. Quick to deploy. Difficult to damage. And with a LOT of versatility.
    Bought one 300d II on Friday, & after a bit of testing, picked up another today. These are my only single-color LEDs, but the allure of (relatively) powerful COBs won me over, especially ones that can be used with a ellipse (aka Spotlight Mount).

Also picked up a Light Dome II, Mini Light Dome II, a pair of Fresnel 2X, plus a pair of Barndoors, & special ordered the Lantern (aka China Ball).
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 08-12-2019 at 06:45 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern Caughey View Post
    Bought one 300d II on Friday, & after a bit of testing, picked up another today. These are my only single-color LEDs, but the allure of (relatively) powerful COBs won me over, especially ones that can be used with a ellipse (aka Spotlight Mount).

Also picked up a Light Dome II, Mini Light Dome II, a pair of Fresnel 2X, plus a pair of Barndoors, & special ordered the Lantern (aka China Ball).
    Keep us updated with how it all works out for you. I'm feeling more and more drawn to the idea of the versatility these things have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast