Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sony fs7 mystery part
    Anyone know what the part is in the image below? It fell out of my Sony fs7 viewfinder while I was shooting. It goes inside the viewfinder tube, it is flexible, and has residue on the back where it was affixed in the VF. It appears to be some sort of ND film, but I don't know why the VF would have a piece of ND in the path. Know what it is and why it is there?

If you look inside the VF of your Fs7 you will be able to see it by looking for the shape as seen in the image. It is on the "front" side of the magnifier element, between the lcd and the magnifier. Or on the "back" side from the eyecup.

IMG_6679.jpg
    Big sources matter.

2. Collapse Details
    My guess it is a polarizing filter for the LCD screen. But it is a wild guess.

But as you know, the best way to ask a question is to throw a wrong opinion or statement on the Internet. You will be corrected in a minute with the right answer.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    My guess it is a polarizing filter for the LCD screen. But it is a wild guess.

But as you know, the best way to ask a question is to throw a wrong opinion or statement on the Internet. You will be corrected in a minute with the right answer.
    I tried an online search but found nothing about the part. I held the piece of film up to my eye and rotated it while looking at reflections on a car window and it didn't seem to have an pola effect to it. That is why I guessed it is ND.

I kept shooting without the piece and didn't notice much difference. I suppose if one set exposure by the screen brightness alone, the part being missing could result in exposure being off. That is, only if you did not adjust the brightness level for the part being absent.

The mystery remains unsolved. Alister, you out there? Doug? Juan??
    Big sources matter.

4. Collapse Details
    I believe it to be a protection filter to help minimize direct sun damage to the LCD.

Chris Young

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    I believe it to be a protection filter to help minimize direct sun damage to the LCD.

Chris Young
    Thanks Chris. That entered my mind as well. Given that it sits between the magnifier element and the LCD, that makes sense.
    Big sources matter.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Thanks Chris. That entered my mind as well. Given that it sits between the magnifier element and the LCD, that makes sense.
    Does the part need to be replaced, or is it something that can just be put back?

Might be a good part to order for an Alphatron or Cineroid.

7. Collapse Details
    Just checked the FS7 service manual. Looks like the piece in question is a part that cannot be purchased separately. And it doesn't even come as a part of block #603. It appears to be available only with block #601 which is the entire VF assembly.

Re the Alphatron they came out with an upgraded piece of optics for the eye piece to help prevent sun burn on the screen. I was lucky enough to get one of these for mine. Learnt the hard way. Was doing an outdoor PTC and left the camera for about ten seconds to adjust the talent's wireless mic walked back to the cam and hallelujah I had a lovely pink sun scorch on the screen. The Alphatron used iPhone 4 Retina screens so they were readily available and quite cheap. Bought two so subsequently have an Alphatron and spare screen sitting around. Still use it on rig with the A7III sometimes as it gives me HD SDI out which is sometimes useful.

Chris Young

FS7 VF.jpg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Just checked the FS7 service manual...
    Do you have an online link for the service manual - or did you purchase this somehow?

9. Collapse Details
    Markfpv. I got if from my regular camera tech who is kind to me sometimes. I've just uploaded it if anyone wants it:

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/u6px4f

Chris Young

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks Chris - but that link is the camera manual - which I already have..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast