Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    In general, you usually start to see IR contamination with ND 1.2+ (besides with cameras that have built-in NDs which also have additional IR control).

2. Collapse Details
    B+W, Hoya, Firecrest ... the first two variable ... none have much IR Cut worth mentioning.

3. Collapse Details
    I've used very strong ND filters on my p4k (ND500 and ND64, or 9 and 6 stops - shallow DoF on this m43 sensor often means f/0.95, so, yeah) and never noticed any IR contamination issues. Never looked for them either, though. I'm using Hoya ProND screw-in filters.

4. Collapse Details
    Hoya ProND is my choice for circular IRND filters, & own sets in 58mm, 62mm, 67mm, 72mm, & 77mm. They use ACCU-ND ”electrolytic coating to deposit rare earth metals onto the glass surface to create hyper neutral density filters that have industry-leading virtually zero color shift and IR suppression. The deposit method holds neutrality that is free of color shift over time”.

https://www.tokinacinemausa.com/tokina-pro-irnd-filters

The ProND(s) were the darlings of BMCuser at one point because of their IR suppression, & it’s good to hear they appear to work well with the P4K.

80 page thread on BMCuser
    http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...-Report-Thread

There’s no denying the P6K can suffer IR contamination as demonstrated in the that test, & I’m surprised there are not more thorough test available, but that may be due to the camera being so new. I suspect that using a IR filter is best practice even when no ND is attached, just as it is with the Mini Pro, but would love to see a proper test that proves that it’s not.

PS: ACCU-ND is Hoya/Tokina’s name for this tech, but there are some other companies that use similar metallic coatings.
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 09-16-2019 at 05:33 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Many people don't notice IR pollution (I know I didn't years ago) until you show them (like their blacks side by side).

I like Firecrests.

6. Collapse Details
    My circular filters larger than 77mm are Firecrest(s), though if I was buying new today they’d be the Tokina ACCU-ND just for consistency across my sets. Also considering Tokina’s square, & rectangular, IRND filters.
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 09-16-2019 at 06:44 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    The ergos are weird, it would be a PITA to try to rig onto my gimbal.
    Yeah, that I agree with. It's too wide, and I don't see a good reason for that other than to incorporate the monitor with minimum manufacturing costs. I think it's also designed partly to appeal to dSLR users, so maybe it's a BMD's way of enticing people shooting with mirrorless hybrids over?

it's astoundingly competent for almost no money.
    Can't argue with that!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Many people don't notice IR pollution (I know I didn't years ago) until you show them (like their blacks side by side).

I like Firecrests.
    The video was not about IR that people hardly notice, it was grotesque and horribly prominent in a way that no one could miss. I want to see someone reproduce that, not innuendo.

9. Collapse Details
    Don't know which video you're talking about; just saying in general.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    The video was not about IR that people hardly notice, it was grotesque and horribly prominent in a way that no one could miss. I want to see someone reproduce that, not innuendo.
    They will need to shoot in afternoon sunlight or indoors under tungsten lights, and use plain-jane 4+ stop ND filters with no IR filtering. ( I also use the Hoya Pro ND filters that filter out IR contamination )

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast