Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Unless the speed test you are performing on these cards is somehow done wholly within the camera itself (and if so, I would love to know how you do it --seriously), the numbers are not going to be accurate.

The conditions are completely different when reading/writing to/from an SD card that, for example,
    is inserted into a card reader
    that is connected to a USB port
    that is connected to your computer's bus
    that is connected to a SATA interface (or whatever)
    that is connected to an internal hard drive, etc.

The camera is designed to have a very specific and limited relationship with the recording media, and it does it very efficiently and very well to reduce latency... Far and away faster than the pathway used for testing on your computer, even if it is a laptop with a built in reader.

The test you are using is only good for maybe comparing relative differences between two or more cards, that that's about it. Don't get hung up on the numbers. Don't overthink V rating (it's different than straight up read/write speed).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanik View Post
    Unless the speed test you are performing on these cards is somehow done wholly within the camera itself (and if so, I would love to know how you do it --seriously), the numbers are not going to be accurate.

The conditions are completely different when reading/writing to/from an SD card that, for example,
    is inserted into a card reader
    that is connected to a USB port
    that is connected to your computer's bus
    that is connected to a SATA interface (or whatever)
    that is connected to an internal hard drive, etc.

The camera is designed to have a very specific and limited relationship with the recording media, and it does it very efficiently and very well to reduce latency... Far and away faster than the pathway used for testing on your computer, even if it is a laptop with a built in reader.

The test you are using is only good for maybe comparing relative differences between two or more cards, that that's about it. Don't get hung up on the numbers. Don't overthink V rating (it's different than straight up read/write speed).
    Thanks, that makes sense even though it sounds counterintuitive.

The Angelbird cards that are working are testing on my computer at <50 MB/sec write and about 250 MB/sec read. The Sony card that wasn't working was 120+ MB/sec write but it ramped up slower getting there, I think?

Regardless, no errors so far with the V90 Angelbird cards so... that's a relief. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123