Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    While I always bought adapters for Sony's, I ultimately used native Sony lenses most of the time. While Sony/Zeiss are a bit cooler / more clinical than e.g. Canon on adapters, a touch of post work gets you a warmer look (or adjust WB offset in camera). Especially for an audio person, the Sony lenses are silent vs. the noisy Canons! (the new RF 24-105 I'm using on the EOS R is almost silent, however Sony is quieter). For general use on APS-C, the Sony 18-200 is a great lens (was the kit lens on the FS700); also owned the servo version and the full-frame 24-240 version. All were silent and work well. For shallow DOF, perhaps get the 35 & 50mm Sony primes (F1.8, $448 & $298 respectively (both are OSS too)).

2. Collapse Details
    THanks everyone! The options and diversity have been great. And in true "learning mode" neither of my original leanings are left at the finnish. The HF11 looks pretty decent but can only be had used so? With so few moving parts used is probably an option. With tape based systems used was very problematic.

I'm going to assume the Sonys are using about the same crop factor so the 50 is closer to an 85 and the 35 is closer to a 50. When doing portraits my go to's were an 85 and a 35. A 1.8f 85 for $300 is not a bad deal at all!
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

3. Collapse Details
    Crop factor is all over the place with choices in this thread, but as far as APS-C and FF, yes; 35 is a 50 and 50 is a 85, so to speak.

But even the a6400 has a different crop factor in its 4K 30p mode vs. 24p mode (a little tighter). HD is normal.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post
    THanks everyone! The options and diversity have been great. And in true "learning mode" neither of my original leanings are left at the finnish. The HF11 looks pretty decent but can only be had used so? With so few moving parts used is probably an option. With tape based systems used was very problematic.

I'm going to assume the Sonys are using about the same crop factor so the 50 is closer to an 85 and the 35 is closer to a 50. When doing portraits my go to's were an 85 and a 35. A 1.8f 85 for $300 is not a bad deal at all!
    I had a Canon HF11 and it was a decent camera however even my (still on hand) Panasonic TM700 camcorder is much better (has decent 60P too (HF11 was interlaced)), where the 80D is vastly superior to the TM700, and the A6400 is so much better it's not in the same league (especially if needing 4K and high DR (HD & 4K)). I've reviewed the recent camcorder footage on YouTube: still a long way to go to match DSLR/mirrorless. They could certainly make a killer S35/FF camcorder; they're saving those updates until the market demands them (and we're not there yet).

Regarding the Sony 1.8 50 OSS on the a6400: it has a 5 star review average on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-50mm-F1-...dp/B00EPWC30O/ . The 35 & 50 were listed as the (closest) crop equivalents for FF 50 & 85: 'normal' eye POV & pleasing portraits (looks like the a6400 has 1.53 & 1.6 CFs).

While you'll have a blast upgrading from the Canon T2i to an a6400 + lenses level camera, suggest keeping the Canon around for a bit to shoot reference frames to help with color grading the Sony for skin tones. Sony's can look fantastic for skin tones, however it does take a little practice vs. Canon which tends to be easier (though incredibly soft and aliased). a6400 level cameras provide much better real resolution and detail: also worth getting something like a Black Pro Mist 1/4 (or similar) if you need something more flattering straight from camera (can also do diffusion/blur in post).
    Last edited by jcs; 08-04-2019 at 09:46 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    The cheapest camera that produces a good image with no recording limit is the Panasonic GX85 that currently sells for $500 with two kit lenses. But keep in mind that ONLY the 4K profiles have unlimited shooting time. ( 4K also produces the best IQ from this camera too ) The AF is not great, but it's usable with some care.

I own one as my compact travel camera, and a year ago I was spontaneously recruited to shoot an $800 video while I was shooting BTS photos for a friend at a live event. Footage was great and I was a little surprised at how good it was. Not far off the footage my GH5 produces. There's no mic or headphone jacks, but I have no problems syncing to external recorders.

6. Collapse Details
    Haven't heard this yet....
    Since audio doesn't much matter....how bout a Canon DSLR upgrade to a 5d3 since you already have Canon glass. And maybe run Magic Lantern. Great stills cam also.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    ....how bout a Canon DSLR upgrade to a 5d3 since you already have Canon glass. And maybe run Magic Lantern. Great stills cam also.
    Albeit, recording time limit.

8. Collapse Details
    I use a Panasonic AC90 for interviews. Fixed lens wide to long zoom and two XLR inputs. This is the sort of thing used by non-broadcast ENG and corporate.

Panasonic have discontinued the AC90 as it did not do 4K (you can still plick them up 2nd hand but not far off their original street price, they hold their value) however their replacemet cameras are equally inexpensive and they can be used at 1080p. eg https://business.panasonic.ae/professional-camera/professional-camera-products-and-accessories-from-panasonic/broadcast-professional-av-camera-range/ag-ux90br4k-uhd-/-fhd-camcorder-with-wide-angle-245mm-15x-optical-zoom-lens-and-10-type-mos-sensor/br-4
    I am sure there are similar cameras from other makes.

This gives an all in one professional solution that you can plug in your decent sound kit. All you need is a tripod and it looks professional enough. You probably could to a good enough job with an iPhone or very small hand held but this is not what your employer is going to expect. It would confuse them. Scott Kelby when singing the praises of a small Fuji mirrorless said if he didn't turn up on location with a peli full of big, heavy imposing DSLR's and glass he would not get booked.

Also unlike DSLRS video cameras do not have the 29min per shot limit. This is not a problem for a most people but in a cooperate world if you are shooting conference presentations the slot is usually 40-60 minutes (and even on 25-30 minute slots people over run). Yes you can press stop/start (and miss the cruciual two words) but unlike the DSLRS video cameras are designed to record for extended periods without over heating.
    Last edited by jamedia.uk; 08-05-2019 at 04:25 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Buy a used Canon C100 from B&H. That would cost you 1600. New will cost you 2k. Add a lens for another 300-400. You are good to go with excellent IQ.

10. Collapse Details
    Now folks are getting a bit carried away, which is why I asked this on an audio list rather than a camera list. Forget anything that is much over $1,000. We have a T2i and a 5D mark II and both have MagicLantern installed. I agree that I like them a lot BUT they have time limits that make them unusable for what I set out in the original post. I am not doing a bunch of production shooting and the "proffesionalness" of the camera is not really an issue. This stuff is destined to be streamed off a web site so super high resolution is not a must.

The Sony A6400 seems the best fit at the moment. The other Sony at a much lower price would work except it has the time limit, so no deal.
    The A6400 makes more sense since it would replace my still camera, which gets a bunch more use, and offer a video camera with out the time limit.

Other than the odd personal project the interview/ press announcement shoots are lockdown shots that are probably going to end up at 720 MP4's streamed from a server.
    If I were a shooter then big old video cameras are very sexy. I actually many years ago had a monster Sony camera with a 12" or so long Fujitron lense. It fed a portable 3/4" recorder. Bloody sexy to haul that monster around, but that is not what I need now and I don't think my back could take it these days.

Anyway thanks all.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast