Thread: The New Lens

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    If I remember correctly the 6 lens set is $48,990
    We had all 6 lenses. Ended up gravitating to the 50mm and the 65mm for this shoot. Also, one guy used the 1.6x on the 100mm

The 65mm allowed for getting in close. The 100mm minimum focus kept from getting that ultra ultra close up.

For some reason the 50mm was the ‘money’ frame for what we were doing. Was a little worried about weight on the Ronin 2, but it handled it well. Powered the Mini from the Ronin batts.

2. Collapse Details
    Speaking of anamorphics...

There are a few new ones out. Cooke has some FF34 1.8x anamorphic. And there is a newer company making a 2x ff35 anamophic which i slooking extrememly promising. I’ll check those out a bit more tomorrow.

P+S Technik has some really vintage feeling anamorphics.

M43 is also getting a new anamorphic budget lens, but it is still in prototype.
    Last edited by James0b57; 08-20-2019 at 02:13 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    M43 is also a great format for small yet dynamic zooms. I didn’t have mich interest in m43 until i realized how small a good zoom can be on them. The Panasonic zooms are very nice. Sharp and clean. For anyone that migh like a different look, DZ Optics started a cinema zoom line under the name DZOfilm. They have two lens set: 10-24mm and 20-70mm.

4. Collapse Details
    And while this may not be a lens per se, but Tilta may be releasing a Red internal ND mount. It is a variable ND from 0.6 to 2.1 in .3 increments. What makes me interested in this, is that the filter can be removed from the side without removing the mount! This mean you can go from filter to bare lens as fast as swapping a mattebox filter.

I don’t know what they plan, but it seems they could easily put any type of filter in, so there could be everything from single value Natural ND type filters, to diffusion effects. This mount has a lot of potential.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    And while this may not be a lens per se, but Tilta may be releasing a Red internal ND mount. It is a variable ND from 0.6 to 2.1 in .3 increments. What makes me interested in this, is that the filter can be removed from the side without removing the mount! This mean you can go from filter to bare lens as fast as swapping a mattebox filter.

I don’t know what they plan, but it seems they could easily put any type of filter in, so there could be everything from single value Natural ND type filters, to diffusion effects. This mount has a lot of potential.
    Hopefully, there becomes a standard size for these “insert” style filters, and that way third party lens mounts and filter companies can all be interchanged.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post

Actually, that filter in the optical path will change the flange ficus length, so you would need to adjust this for no filter, or use clear material with the same refractive index as the ND.

I see this same thing on the lens collimator that I built. It works as expected when no filters are between the lenses, but add an ND to the front of one if them, and the focal length changes enough to see the shift on the kens barrel.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Actually, that filter in the optical path will change the flange ficus length, so you would need to adjust this for no filter, or use clear material with the same refractive index as the ND.

I see this same thing on the lens collimator that I built. It works as expected when no filters are between the lenses, but add an ND to the front of one if them, and the focal length changes enough to see the shift on the kens barrel.
    +1

Good point.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post

I knew this about filters mounted between the lens and the sensor, but didn't know front-mounted filters would have an effect as well. wow.

9. Collapse Details
    Front mounted may only do this in that strange flow of pattern through infinity focused lens through filter through infinity focused lens through to sensor. I've never noticed this when just using a filter to view an object through a lens. But as you said, anything behind a lens will change the distance to the sensor, so a variable ND that goes from none to dark would work because you can leave it in the path at all times. Also a reason that cameras with a filter wheel have a real clear glass in the clear position.

10. Collapse Details
    Arri’s signature primes are pretty awesome to see. Light weight for the size. Machined magnesium makes for a nice “exotic” feel. The image is very neutral, while not running into anything going in a bad direction. For those accustomed to the idea of “lens mojo” these lenses are in a whole different field.

Surely to become the next “envy” of cinema lenses.

From what i’ve heard, the lenses were not designed by any traditional conema lens design, but came from something more technical and industrial. So, the “perfection” aspect is kind of front and center. But nothing looks forced, as they really are good, not forced to look good.

At this point, they are up there with Master Prime and Leica, so they are firmly out of my budget, even for a rental. I just wanted to mention them, as they are part of the new breed of lenses.
    Last edited by James0b57; 08-23-2019 at 05:52 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast