Thread: The New Lens

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Sometimes DVXUsers need to give each other good natured ribbing, all in good fun.
    Absolutely agree.

2. Collapse Details
    I was recently asked to work on a project, and the producer asked me what i thought of the lens. I had never used it before, so i declined any thoughts on the matter, and said “it is alright”. It got the job done, and had some quirkiness. Some of which was user error, and some of which could have been the lens or the camera. But i am not going to definitively decide my opinions about a tool without spending more time with it. That got me thinking, there are enough lenses introduced in the last several years that seem to live only in the “marketing” tier. Not a lof of real user feedback. Some reviewer gets a loaner and goes and shoots some quick tests. Idk. I kind of trust some of the brands, but others drive me a little mad with variances and tolerances that could be user error, or could be low qc... And it seems we are entering an era when that is going to be the new norm.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Consumer oriented mentality
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I was recently asked to work on a project, and the producer asked me what i thought of the lens. I had never used it before, so i declined any thoughts on the matter, and said “it is alright”. It got the job done, and had some quirkiness. Some of which was user error, and some of which could have been the lens or the camera. But i am not going to definitively decide my opinions about a tool without spending more time with it. That got me thinking, there are enough lenses introduced in the last several years that seem to live only in the “marketing” tier. Not a lof of real user feedback. Some reviewer gets a loaner and goes and shoots some quick tests. Idk. I kind of trust some of the brands, but others drive me a little mad with variances and tolerances that could be user error, or could be low qc... And it seems we are entering an era when that is going to be the new norm.
    That's what happens when consumer oriented marketing enters professional industry -clusterf@#k. This is the price we pay (among other costs) for the incredible growth our industry has experienced in last 10-12 years. Not too bad IMO- just have got to adjust for it. Read feedback and vote with your wallet I say...I do think at times they underestimate our competence....

4. Collapse Details
    The Tamuri 23.9-195mm zoom left quite the first impression.

In a word: high end

Or, that is two words.

Sharp (even wide open)
    Good color
    Neutral
    4ft min focus distance is nearly macro at 195mm
    Minimal flaring, flaring is not overly saturated
    19.8lbs, but engineered well, weight feels appropriate.
    Accurate focus marks
    Easily adjusted back focus, as the lens is so sharp, when you have it, you know you have it
    Good composed bokeh
    Snappy focus.
    Designed for 4K, at 1:1 pixel magnification on the 8k s35 Helium, the image was still sharp!
    Large format image circle adapter (hello Venice and mini LF!)
    Lighter weight and smaller than comparable zooms, yet preserves the most useful zoom range for contemporary. S35 shooting.
    Focus holds through the zoom

Looks like an incredibly versatile lens that could cut with many different modern lenses available today.

Impressive demo, looking forward to testing it out some day.
    Last edited by James0b57; 08-08-2019 at 09:31 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    This is looking like fun...

6. Collapse Details
    Atlas has become quite the buzz word for budget filmers, as they are quite “affordable”. A while back i put them on an Alexa andchecked thei sharpness and tried to get a sense of what they said visually. Overall, was a little underwhelmed.

That was then.

Beating the lenses up this weekend was good fun. Bringing them out into the real world, they came alive.

When i typically think “anamorphic”, these lenses may not look like what i imagine, but when out shooting, you forget all of that and start reacting, and it is like a dance. Or like when you hear about someone and think they are kind of stick up, but when you meet them, you find out they are really grounded and just great to be around.

The lack of history of these lenses, means that whatever you shoot is your own new thing. Which, for anamorphic, isn’t that an oxymoron?

I didn’t have time to think about it, everything was looking too good.

7. Collapse Details
    ...oh alright, the things i didn’t like where the things that plague most anamorphics - size and weight. Soft wide open. Higher price. Limited focal lengths.

The other thing, is do you want a look that you’ve seen before, and go with actual vintage lenses, or get something that shares those characteristics, without actually being them.

8. Collapse Details
    What's the retail on that Atlas kit? Do they have an EF (dumb) version?

9. Collapse Details
    If I remember correctly the 6 lens set is $48,990

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    What's the retail on that Atlas kit? Do they have an EF (dumb) version?
    Not sure. David W. Jones is probably right. About $8K a lens sounds right. Considering Canon Sumire is msrp of ~$7k...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast