1. Collapse Details
    Standard locking DC power connectors?
    Getting ready to build a V mount to regulated power adapter and not sure about connectors. Aside from a 4 pin XLR, is there a standard locking DC power connector in use? These will be 7.2v to about 9v use, and also a 5v for USB power (but not a USB type A connector, still want locking here).

I'm seeing a few DC coaxial connectors with locking rings, things like a 2.1mm or 2.5mm x 5.5mm with screw down ring. Is this the most common out in the wild?

I lucked out and my V mount plate has an internal variable regulator, it was the V mount adapter for an older JVC camera that ran off of 7.2 volt batteries. Turning it up to 8.4v for my GH2's and Video Assist.

Still need to get some dummy LP-E6 for the VA and maybe a couple more dummies for the GH2.

2. Collapse Details
    Most gear uses Hirose locking connectors. Here is an example - https://www.markertek.com/product/ab...r-cable-1-foot
    Last edited by Paul F; 08-01-2019 at 08:38 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    HR10 series, not really much more than good coaxial style DC connectors, I'll have to look into this a bit more while I'm thinking about this.

4. Collapse Details
    There are, as I have just discovered, very many v-lock mounting pates with a huge range of DC connectors and outputs. I have been trawling through the IDX range fro my AC90 ( http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986797025 ) if you want to power specific cameras there are adaptors too. There are hundreds of "standard" connectors. Each camera/make has it's own.

It might help if you say what you are trying to connect/power?
    There are probably a lot of converter plates and cables allready out there for what you want to do.

5. Collapse Details
    I know there are several mounts with regulators for sale, but I already these mounts, just wanted something that might be a standard connector to use for the cables I'll need to make. Seems like there may not be a standard for these lower voltage connections so I'll need to do more thinking.

And besides already having the mounts, sometimes I like to build things my way because I feel the other designs are not ideal, or maybe even just plain wrong. I build because I can where other people may not have the tools to build some of these things.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    I know there are several mounts with regulators for sale, but I already these mounts, just wanted something that might be a standard connector to use for the cables I'll need to make. Seems like there may not be a standard for these lower voltage connections so I'll need to do more thinking.

And besides already having the mounts, sometimes I like to build things my way because I feel the other designs are not ideal, or maybe even just plain wrong. I build because I can where other people may not have the tools to build some of these things.
    In which case you can use any connector you like if you are doing your own thing.

In fact it is far better that you do use your own standard (ie a non-standard connector) . If you use a Standard connector people will make assumptions about it and the chances are the wrong thing could get connected to it.
    I say this as an electronics engineer who is , today, making up some cables for my rig myself. sorted the V-lock power set up yesterday and now doing the remote controls for the camera.

7. Collapse Details
    I thought about that too, I certainly wouldn't use a 4 pin XLR with only 8.4 volts on it. I guess the only thing that should really drive this is the size of the chassis mount connector and what I need to machine to make them fit.

8. Collapse Details
    By coincidence this landed in my inbox. A white paper on: What to consider when selecting a connector…
    In this whitepaper we take you back to basics to look at the key factors to be considered when selecting a connector solution, from your end-product design, certifications and standards to choosing the right supplier. We’ve even included a template checklist to help you compare and specify the perfect connector for your project.

https://www.harwin.com/get-connected-whitepaper/https://www.harwin.com/get-connected-whitepaper/

I have no connection with Harwin at all it is just one of those random things that arrives in my inboxes. However I thought it might help you in deciding what connector to use.
    Last edited by jamedia.uk; 08-09-2019 at 08:41 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks.