1. Collapse Details
    Tascam DR-10X As Primary Sound Recorder
    Hi, I was wondering if I could use the DR-10X as a sound recorder coupled with a MixPreD mixer. I know this isn't what it's designed for, and that I'll lose timecode sync, but could I run the MixPreD into the DR-10X and record at line level and get high quality sound recording in a small package? Or would it sound better going to a Sound Devices recorder? I figure if it's at line level it's got to sound about the same? 48khz is fine.

I know all about the MixPre3... maybe some day. This would cost me $100, that would coast me a lot more.

Getting very mixed responses re: this on B&H's Q&A. Some say only records mic level.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Amulet Man View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if I could use the DR-10X as a sound recorder coupled with a MixPreD mixer. I know this isn't what it's designed for, and that I'll lose timecode sync, but could I run the MixPreD into the DR-10X and record at line level and get high quality sound recording in a small package? Or would it sound better going to a Sound Devices recorder? I figure if it's at line level it's got to sound about the same? 48khz is fine.

I know all about the MixPre3... maybe some day. This would cost me $100, that would coast me a lot more.

Getting very mixed responses re: this on B&H's Q&A. Some say only records mic level.
    Pretty sure you can select mic or line level out on the Mixpre-d

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wjauch View Post
    Pretty sure you can select mic or line level out on the Mixpre-d
    Isn't line level cleaner? I'm a bit of an idiot with sound.

4. Collapse Details
    "Isn't line level cleaner?"
    - Generally... Yes, in a perfect world that is.. but.. IT DEPENDS.

The MixPre D has a Mic/Line switch for the XLR outputs, The Tascam DR-10X is mic level only and has a maximum input level of -8 dBu. The MixPre's line level output is +4dB (nominal) which can have peaks around +20 dBm or so. Set the MixPre to Mic level and calibrate the two devices... Send a reference test tone from the MixPre to the 10x and adjust the recorders level. Normally a 0 VU reference level (0 dBu voltage) at the output on the MixPre equals -20 dBFS on the 10x recorder's meter. After that calibration, do not change the input level on the 10X and adjust levels using the MixPre's meters.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    "Isn't line level cleaner?"
    - Generally... Yes, in a perfect world that is.. but.. IT DEPENDS.

The MixPre D has a Mic/Line switch for the XLR outputs, The Tascam DR-10X is mic level only and has a maximum input level of -8 dBu. The MixPre's line level output is +4dB (nominal) which can have peaks around +20 dBm or so. Set the MixPre to Mic level and calibrate the two devices... Send a reference test tone from the MixPre to the 10x and adjust the recorders level. Normally a 0 VU reference level (0 dBu voltage) at the output on the MixPre equals -20 dBFS on the 10x recorder's meter. After that calibration, do not change the input level on the 10X and adjust levels using the MixPre's meters.
    Wow, thank you. So much I'm ignorant of.

The short version is this: I didn't buy a MixPre3 because it's overkill and unnecessarily complex for my needs. But from time to time I don't want to record to camera. My camera I believe accepts line level in and has decent pre-amps for a camera, but if I wanted to do this right I'd start over with the MixPre3. But it would be a lot easier to just buy a cheap recorder for the very few times when I need it.

It seems the Tascam DR-10X isn't ideal for this task, but what would be? Are there any minuscule recorders with good battery life that accept line level in?

I assume that the difference between recorders becomes negligible when recording line level in? Regardless, I notice Tascam sounds better than comparably priced Zooms to me. Just my opinion, I know their higher end recorders are excellent, but I'm after something cheap.

Thanks again.

6. Collapse Details
    It seems the Tascam DR-10X isn't ideal for this task, but what would be? Are there any minuscule recorders with good battery life that accept line level in?
    It seems that way because it isn’t ideal for this task. The biggest thing you’re giving up is the ability to record split channels. If you only ever deal with a single mic, not that big a deal I suppose. But the MixPre-D is a 2-channel pre-amp/mixer, and has two output channels. So if you’re using two mics and the DR-10X, your only option is to record both mics mixed together and that leaves you no mixing abilities in post.

If you want inexpensive, effective, and a good match with your MixPre-D, take a look at Tascam’s DR-60DmkII. It can run on AA batteries with not-so-great battery life. You’ll get more run time from lithium AAs. But it can be powered through its USB port, and getting a USB power bank will allow you to run all day, maybe more.

... but I'm after something cheap.
    Even though the paradigm has shifted a little over the last few years, in many ways you still get what you pay for. But understanding that you give up time code and some other higher-end features, some of these little recorders can be very useful.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

7. Collapse Details
    Cool
    It seems the Tascam DR-10X isn't ideal for this task, but what would be?
    For the past 5 years I've used a SD MixPre-D with a Sony PCM-M10 recorder, where I would feed the MixPre-D -10 dB TAPE-OUT to the LINE input on the PCM-M10, and tuck the recorder into the front pocket of my MixPre-D case. This produced good results as long as you calibrated the recorder for -12 dB peaks.

The PCM-M10 is now extinct, so I would look at either a Tascam DR-05X, Tascam DR-07X, or a Zoom H1n recorder. To patch the recorder to the MixPre I use this Hosa cable, which has never given me any issues. ( I bought a few of them to always have spares in case it was lost )

It looks like the Tascam DR-10X would work, but you're going to have this big thing sticking out the end of your MixPre-D, where I prefer to have the recorder tucked into the mixer bag.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    It seems that way because it isnít ideal for this task. The biggest thing youíre giving up is the ability to record split channels. If you only ever deal with a single mic, not that big a deal I suppose. But the MixPre-D is a 2-channel pre-amp/mixer, and has two output channels. So if youíre using two mics and the DR-10X, your only option is to record both mics mixed together and that leaves you no mixing abilities in post.

If you want inexpensive, effective, and a good match with your MixPre-D, take a look at Tascamís DR-60DmkII. It can run on AA batteries with not-so-great battery life. Youíll get more run time from lithium AAs. But it can be powered through its USB port, and getting a USB power bank will allow you to run all day, maybe more.

Even though the paradigm has shifted a little over the last few years, in many ways you still get what you pay for. But understanding that you give up time code and some other higher-end features, some of these little recorders can be very useful.
    I second this, I have a Tascam DR60 laying around and it's every handy for these types of things and you definitely want to record each channel to it's own track. To do otherwise would be pointless, unless you always only record on mic.
    The Lithium power banks are so cheap and accessible now and they will easily power the DR60 all day.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.