Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It is possible it's on Adobe's side. Wouldn't be the first time.

If you make a clip downloadable, I can look at it for you in FCP X if you would like.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    It is possible it's on Adobe's side. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Right, Adobe (and how you have it configured), or also might be that older laptop you're trying to play it back on. It might not have sufficient ability to keep up with the decode in real-time.

Also, doesn't this HEVC codec use 4:2:0 color sampling (I forgot)? If it does, maybe that's why you are seeing the mess in the red channels?

Just for the heck of it (because it should be quick and easy to do), try transcoding an HEVC clip to ProRes (any flavor) in Media Encoder and try playing that back. If it looks better, it's your machine (processor and/or GPU) that can't process it fast enough. And, if that's the case, try a proxy workflow (e.g. ProRes Proxy scaled down to 1/2 or 1/4 size) for the HEVC footage and see if you can't work with that. I sure hope it's not your camera! Good luck!
    Last edited by Seanik; 07-26-2019 at 05:18 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanik View Post
    Also, doesn't this HEVC codec use 4:2:0 color sampling (I forgot)? If it does, maybe that's why you are seeing the mess in the red channels?
    Yes, HEVC as implemented in the EVA1 and the CX350 uses 4:2:0 color sampling. You should be seeing a cleanly-compressed, 1920x1080 red image when viewing the red channel from 4K footage.

I would certainly recommend decoding the footage in various other software before assuming the camera is at fault. I remember we had a running issue here years ago where folks kept complaining that the footage from one of the AVC-HD cameras was ungodly noisy, whereas other folks thought it looked perfectly smooth. Turned out some h.264 decoders were making the footage look noisy. Decoding in different software led to it looking just fine. Now, that's not to say that there isn't possibly something wrong with that particular camera, I mean, you have to keep all possibilities on the table until you sort out what the actual issue is, but I would encourage you to try different decoders first.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Amulet Man View Post
    The camera is also not recognizing SDXC cards as SDXC, but it might be the cards. They test at 150MBpbs read/write, though.
    For the record, what the cards "test at" is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is their "V" speed rating (V10, V30, V60, V90). It wouldn't matter if the cards tested at a terabyte per second, if it doesn't report the proper "V" speed rating, the camera will say it's incompatible. V30 is generally fine for all recording, and V60 is necessary for the highest-bitrate recording modes (like 400mb ALL-I).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks, yeah I can't imagine this is how it's supposed to be.

I think it looks somewhat better in Resolve, weirdly?

But then the h264 file won't even open in Resolve.
    1) I'm assuming the other NLE you are using is Premiere. This isn't the first time I've read about and have seen image problems in Premiere that weren't there in Resolve. Premiere seems to have an inferior decode of certain codecs. I see a lot of artifacts from my Z-Cam footage in premiere, that looks perfectly clean in Resolve. I'm sure that's why you're seeing an improvement. That being said, it seems your issue extends beyond that.

2) You need the paid studio version of Resolve to work with 10-bit h264 files.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    1) I'm assuming the other NLE you are using is Premiere. This isn't the first time I've read about and have seen image problems in Premiere that weren't there in Resolve. Premiere seems to have an inferior decode of certain codecs. I see a lot of artifacts from my Z-Cam footage in premiere, that looks perfectly clean in Resolve. I'm sure that's why you're seeing an improvement. That being said, it seems your issue extends beyond that.

2) You need the paid studio version of Resolve to work with 10-bit h264 files.
    Thanks, it looks like it's just Adobe, actually.

FCPX plays my footage back the same way until I pause and it gets cleaned up. Finder plays it back like this, too.

But Resolve looks good and FCPX looks good when rendered, too. It's particularly bad for me I guess because I chose situations that pushed it.

Also, weirdly, I bought a new Lexar V60 card that tests below 400 Mbits/second on my Mac... and it works fine for ALL-I. Weird. Shouldn't have bought open box cards before. Returning them to where they came from (Amazon).

7. Collapse Details
    FCPX plays my footage back the same way until I pause and it gets cleaned up.
    Change your quality settings to "Better Performance" and the footage will playback and look the same as what you're currently seeing when paused.

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    I bought a new Lexar V60 card that tests below 400 Mbits/second on my Mac... and it works fine for ALL-I.
    I bought a pair of the new LEXAR 1000x 128GB V60 cards on sale at B&H for $46. They didn't work properly shooting ALL-I 400 Mbps until I did a low level format (slow format) on my computer and then reformatted them in camera. They've been great ever since.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    I bought a pair of the new LEXAR 1000x 128GB V60 cards on sale at B&H for $46. They didn't work properly shooting ALL-I 400 Mbps until I did a low level format (slow format) on my computer and then reformatted them in camera. They've been great ever since.
    Thanks, yeah it was Lexar 1667X that ended up working with ALL-I despite testing slower than other cards that didn't. Weirdly including a "refurbished" Lexar 2000X or something.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks, it looks like it's just Adobe, actually.

FCPX plays my footage back the same way until I pause and it gets cleaned up.
    So, if you prefer to continue using Premiere, go to Project Settings -> General -> Video Rendering and Playback -> and chose a different "Renderer." The FCPX system you played back on is likely using Metal or OpenCL. If you have Nvidia chips that can use CUDA, just know that Apple is no longer supporting it past OSX High Sierra (so, can't use it in Mojave). Metal and OpenCL will work differently depending on your GPU, but both are alright. Just don't use "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only."

And while you're at it, you might as well go to Premiere Preferences, clear out your Media Cache, and go to "Memory" to make sure you have enough RAM allocated to Premiere.

Congrats that it's not a camera issue! Don't cut corners on SD cards! Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast