Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Going back to my more ENG days running around at the track, I settled on three batteries per camera. One on the camera, one I carried with me and the third sitting back with our gear. When the first battery was dead, you’d slap the second one on and the original third battery was now your fully charged spare/next battery and the first went on the charger. At the standard rate of use/discharge and recharge, you always had a fully charged spare. This was with 140wh Hytron’s on ~40-45 watt VariCam’s, so you’d get 3-3 1/2 hours of continuous use on the camera and it’d take roughly two hours or so to recharge a batt, if memory serves. Obviously I get more runtime with the 190 and 230 batts, especially on my F55 that sips power, relatively speaking, but I still usually stick to my three battery per camera rule, if for no other reason than to have a back-up just-in-case. Because I’m trying to remember the last time I actually used three full batteries on a shoot day. It’s largely just one and half the time if I go to number two, it’s just out of an over abundance of caution from memories and experiences from the old days, when the Hytron’s would get near the end of their service life and they’d say you had 20%-30% left and in 10 minutes it was completely dead.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Here is my version of the solo battery franken rig....

3. Collapse Details
    I liked those hytron 50’s for dslr rigs. The sloped back was a good fit. Had plenty of life for an old canon.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    Disclaimer: I don't have any gear that takes V-mount or gold mount. That is to some extent by design. Battery cost and the need to have so many systems is a real red ass topic for me. Let me explain.

Presently, I have three proprietary battery systems which I must keep running. In addition to that, I have a small fleet of lead-acid Bescor Bricks. My current list includes:

Panny AG-BVR series for my PannyHandy and external monitor
    Sony L-Series for audio gear and some smaller led lights
    Canon LP-E6 for my DSLRs
    Numerous Bescor Bricks which can be adapted to any of the above except for the LP-E6
    And battery combiners for each system which can output to 4 pin XLR

What I don't want is another battery system to purchase and maintain as I have thousands invested in batteries and have to purchase more than a few replacements each year just to remain in business. Seems like the major manufacturers play battery pricing like the printer ink industry. I get it, it is a cost of doing business, but the pricing of many of these seems simply astronomical and considering that I have 25-30 Li-Ions at any one time plus the Bescors, it just gets stupid maintaining that many batteries. So unless I really wanted to use a cam that required 12v, I'll just stick to one level down at 7.2v gear, which works for me at my level of business. I have had pretty good luck with non-factory batteries purchased from the major distributors like Watson from BH or Ikans for the Panny Bats.

Having said that, I have always lusted for a full sized shoulder mount cam.....ah gear lust. Then I consider investing a couple grand just to power one up.

Grant
    Now that there are many more powering options, are you seeing any solutions?

I end up sending everything to a p-tap splitter. But i feel Vitec is too pricey for a lot of work these days, and i am not even sure gold and v mount type are the best solution anymore.
    Last edited by James0b57; 07-24-2019 at 11:13 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Ok, then Anton Baur gold mount it is.

Just kidding. This past cinegear, there were so many battery options, i just stopped looking after a while. Similar to how many LED lighting products that hit the market. They are almost less a solution and more capitolizing on the market’s desire for buzz words.

Gold mount and v mount is like bowens mount or a 100mm half bowl, or a baby pin, they may not be the mount you want, but they crrtainly still do the job.

I will be looking into some of the crazy battery options, and i appreciate Hawkwood seeing some interesting applications.

6. Collapse Details
    It kind of depends on how much camera or rig you need to power. A shoulder mount camera might as well have the AB or V mount on it, but a little DSLR/mirrorless may not need that much, and a compact camera may be able to pull off either (Like FS5 or FS7 size). I don't believe there is a single definitive "best" battery that covers all situations
    Example is that I was looking for a bigger battery that has the Canon LP-E6 mount, doesn't exist. But an enterprising person put together a kit of machine and printed parts, with off the shelf BMS and cells to provide around twice the run time (or more) and still fits on the BMD Micro Cinema camera and several other BMD cameras. Give this thread a read https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...hp?f=2&t=71520 , I might try my hand at something similar myself but use the power connection for the LP-E6 battery, even just 2 larger cells might be what I'm looking for, and I can use the cheapest batteries known to mankind as the donor terminals.
    Last edited by Greg_E; 07-24-2019 at 12:22 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Bepop has a new battery mount that Arri is going to adopt, as the mount was developed with input from Arri, or so the legend goes...

The B mount

Nither a wedge like the v mount, nor pins like the gold mount, the B mount is dove tail style at its roots. The rail acts a bit like a wedge, and always forces tight no-play contact.

They have also introduced a mini brick in the 45wh and 90wh flavors, and they seem to be like a more realized Hawkwood mini.

Definitely considering swapping systems!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    It kind of depends on how much camera or rig you need to power. A shoulder mount camera might as well have the AB or V mount on it, but a little DSLR/mirrorless may not need that much, and a compact camera may be able to pull off either (Like FS5 or FS7 size). I don't believe there is a single definitive "best" battery that covers all situations
    Example is that I was looking for a bigger battery that has the Canon LP-E6 mount, doesn't exist. But an enterprising person put together a kit of machine and printed parts, with off the shelf BMS and cells to provide around twice the run time (or more) and still fits on the BMD Micro Cinema camera and several other BMD cameras. Give this thread a read https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...hp?f=2&t=71520 , I might try my hand at something similar myself but use the power connection for the LP-E6 battery, even just 2 larger cells might be what I'm looking for, and I can use the cheapest batteries known to mankind as the donor terminals.
    Very interesting! I will keep this in my back pocket. I am also considering an F35 mod that has an internal battery for gimbal use. This battery mod could be a solutin.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Bepop has a new battery mount that Arri is going to adopt, as the mount was developed with input from Arri, or so the legend goes...

The B mount

Nither a wedge like the v mount, nor pins like the gold mount, the B mount is dove tail style at its roots. The rail acts a bit like a wedge, and always forces tight no-play contact.

They have also introduced a mini brick in the 45wh and 90wh flavors, and they seem to be like a more realized Hawkwood mini.

Definitely considering swapping systems!
    I think the "new" mount from Bebob is basically for cameras, like the Alexa LF, etc. that require 24-28V power. Also, CoreSWX has come out with a line of dual voltage batteries that can be used on both 14V and 28V gear.

10. Collapse Details
    I could never get past the name "Bebob". Same with "NICEYRIG".
    Big sources matter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast