Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    EOS R + RF 24-105 vs 1DX II, 80D, First Impressions
    Currently use the 1DX II as A camera for stills and video, 80D as B/backup.

Tested the EOS R + RF 24-105 today:

Color: EOS R standard colors are improved over the 1DX II, 80D (skin tones). Tested neutral, faithful, and Canon Log.

Detail: as noted elsewhere 1080p is pretty soft, however sharpens reasonably well in post for medium/close shots. Similar to the 1DX II 1080p.

Rolling shutter: worse than the 1DX II (as expected), however when using the digital IS and holding the camera steady, isn't too bad. With a stable platform (not handheld unless with a gimbal), will be fine. The 1DX II is too big/heavy for a one-hand gimbal- the EOS R should work well with the new Ronin SC though I'll test with an old FlyCam Nano first (had the Ronin-M and Moza Air 2: both had quality issues (stabilization was great though)).

Dynamic range: appears similar to 1DX II, with Canon log should do better in highlights though need to test against Filmic Skin (which allows exposing to protect highlights while maintaining shadows). When shooting blue sky in Canon log, noticed banding after post work (8-bit internal). This is where 10-bit external would be helpful (which the EOS R supports via external recorder).

4K: haven't compared directly to 1DX II yet, however looks similar (but definitely not better). The extra ~1.8x crop (vs. FF; 1DX II 4K is ~1.4 crop) is manageable for FOV using the 16-35 F2.8L II, and still looks ok with digital IS (> 2x crop). The 18-135 EF-S Nano also works fine in 4K and 1080p (auto crops and looks sharper than FF 1080p).

RF 24-105F4: sharper than the 24-105 F4L, lighter, quieter, and has noticeably better IS for video. Combined with digital IS, works reasonably well even at 105mm.

Stills: Need to shoot some headshots with the 70-200 F2.8 II to see how it compares to the 1DX II.

Size+weight: EOS R + RS 24-105 F4 is pretty light compared to the 1DX II + 24-105F4L and similar to the 80D with 18-135 Nano. The smaller size attracts less attention in LA which is good.

The EOS R + RF 24-105 is on sale now (perhaps the new default price?): this combo makes a great all-around video+stills camera even if one doesn't already own Canon lenses (I also picked up the $99 RF => EF adapter: have a bunch of Vari-NDs and not a fan of Canon's slide-in Vari-ND adapter (one vlogger uses gaffer tape to deal with the major design flaw lol (covering the hole when not using the ND))).

Summary: for quick turn-around, this is a decent camera for YouTube/IG/Vlogging. It's not as good as the 1DX II, C300 II, A7S II / A7 III for low light (blacks are noisy) from my 1-day tests; it is better than the 80D. To my eye it appears Canon improved the default color science vs. the 1DX II and 80D (for video; haven't processed raw stills yet). I was not able to load Filmic Skin as Canon supplies only a USB C => C cable; need to get an adapter. I'm curious to see if Filmic Skin can capture sky & shadows with less banding shot in camera vs. Canon log brought to 'normal' in post: I never had banding issues on the 1DX II in high DR shots of sky with Filmic Skin. In the studio on a tripod, the EOS R can provide another camera angle to 1DX II level cameras and will match well. The EOS R also provides clean HDMI out, unlike the 80D (which is now for sale ).

Now maybe Sony will at least announce the A7S III

2. Collapse Details
    Nice. One thing I like about the EOS R is it provides the IPB compression for more manageable file sizes if you need it.

On the other hand, I think the DCI 4K MJPEG is nicer on the 1DX/5D.

3. Collapse Details
    I'll do a comparison with the 1DX II (4K & 1080p) to see how well they match. Impressed the EOS R looks so much better for skin tones with default settings. So far the 1DX II 4K does indeed look slightly more meaty re: detail and texture.

Look forward to shooting stills with face+eye detect: should get better shots faster without having to focus recompose (and focus should be more accurate)!

If Canon releases a pro RF camera with a ~6K => 4K sensor and less RS, 10-bit etc. (+ Canon Log 3), and even better digital IS (which removes any remaining RS), that'll be competition for the mythical A7S III. Nice being able to use all the Canon lenses and also excellent stills capability (skin tones).

4. Collapse Details
    The video has eye-AF too...works so well!

5. Collapse Details
    thanks for the sharing.

i am looking forward to seeing other comments.

anyone use the internal preamps on the r?

thumbs up.

rob
    smalltalk productions/nyc
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah the AF works really well!

Preamps: just using the internal mics so far- seemed noisy when using factory default Auto level, however after setting to Manual and peaking over -12dB, sounds decent. Will check feeding with an external preamp (expect it to be fine).

Filmic Skin vs. Canon Log:
    * Canon Log has more usable DR as expected: e.g. easier to hold highlights while still having enough light in the shadows. 10-bit with Canon Log 3 would be great (maybe Canon will provide a few years after Sony releases the A7S III haha).
    * Canon Log disables Auto ISO: so for dynamic shots where Auto ISO is handy, Filmic Skin works great.

Filmic Skin tweak for EOS R: just dropped Saturation down 1 click.

Planning a shoot later this week with Jacqui (stills & video); will shoot side-by-side vs. 1DX II for stills.

I've left the 'level 1' digital IS enabled. Softens the image a bit (+ the extra crop), however this is not a detailed/sharp camera by any means lol, though with either Canon Log (+ light grade) or Filmic Skin (little or no grade) you get a fairly filmic look will little effort suitable for YouTube/IG etc. For gimbal work, I'll turn off digital IS and use the 16-35 F2.8II at 16mm and 4K (~1.8 crop).

7. Collapse Details
    TBH, I was really surprised at how soft-ish the image is.

On a side note, I accidentally found out today that there is 10-bit 4K and HD external on the new $549 Canon SL3, lol.

10-bit 422 (even external) in 1080p is shocking for Canon. I wonder how it looks. I don't think a lot of people know this as most wrote the camera off in a matter of seconds.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    TBH, I was really surprised at how soft-ish the image is.

On a side note, I accidentally found out today that there is 10-bit 4K and HD external on the new $549 Canon SL3, lol.

10-bit 422 (even external) in 1080p is shocking for Canon. I wonder how it looks. I don't think a lot of people know this as most wrote the camera off in a matter of seconds.
    Canon's got the EOS R just barely detailed enough to pass as OK for YT/IG, especially with a little post sharpening. If one needs real detail and good AF, A7x III is about it in this category (X-T3 has great detail but AF sounds like it went backwards with recent FW update). If Canon comes out with a 1D R with 10-bit etc. that would allow me to sell the 1DX II. The EOS R isn't good enough to replace the 1DX II for video (might be for raw stills (not sports)), though it will work fine as a B camera. Would be awesome to have Canon (or ARRI, or Sony Venice) color on an M43 sized camera with F.95 and DPAF level AF and Olympus level IBIS. We know great cameras are possible- they're just slow dripping features- I think most of us are tired of the game. Hopefully (for their sake) they'll stay ahead of phones, as they'll soon be able to do FF-level shallow DOF (either optically or via computation).

10-bit 422 isn't going to help the EOS R or SL3: the softness is from the sensor+processing+deBayer. RGB 444 12-bit won't help lol. 10-bit will help with CLog and banding (sky, walls etc.) and extreme grading, that's it .

9. Collapse Details
    ha, yea. The HDMI output is officially "uncompressed" but uncompressed on top of heavily limited internally.

10. Collapse Details
    Shot yesterday:

Canon EOS R + RF 24-105 + Zomei ultrathin VND, built-in mics.

100% hand-held, no stabilization in post (all footage: Canon Digital IS enabled along with the RF 24-104 OIS).

4K, 1080p, 1080p60, new Filmic Skin (customized for EOS R), and Canon Log.

Quick grade (no attempt to match look between shots), quick edit.

Pickup basketball, skateboard park, Venice sights, boats, beach, people. Hope it's entertaining

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast