Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    EVA-1 and EF-S Lenses
    Hi, just curious about compatibility between the EVA-1 and EF-S lenses.

Noticed it seems to be compatible with the 17-55mm f2.8 IS, but is that it? What about the 18-55mm IS STM? Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    You've seen the 17-55mm EF-S lens mount on the EVA1?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    You've seen the 17-55mm EF-S lens mount on the EVA1?
    I haven't, but I read it was compatible... which is.... confusing, as I thought EF-S lenses didn't mount. I think a friend has it, I should try it some time.

4. Collapse Details
    I don't remember the exact details anymore, but I don't think the lens should be able to mount on the camera. However, people do modify them.

IIRC, the back of EF-S lenses protrude a bit more than regular EF lenses, so you have to be careful they don't hit any IR or ND glass (whatever is there). With FF DSLRs, the mirror would sometimes hit EF-S lenses when people tried to use them.

5. Collapse Details
    That's exactly right, I actually do have one EF-S lens so I should just test it out. I've read it won't work, though. But oddly the 17-55mm, which I don't have, is listed as compatible. Not sure why or how. Sigma 18-35mm is compatible, but it's an EF lens, only it just covers crop.

I think the issue is the plastic protrusion in the EF-S lens, or the tab to keep it from mounting, not the glass going back too far. The NDs etc. in cinema cameras are way farther back than the mirror would be in an EF camera. So the issue isn't the lens, it's the plastic tab protecting it. And if the firmware is compatible.

Seems unnecessarily confusing or maybe it's just me.

6. Collapse Details
    Oh, yea - I guess there's also the important part of if you'll be able to control the aperture (or even push AF).

Sometimes - believe it or not - you can't manually focus with some EF lenses without providing them a compatible electronic connection (like with the 50mm f/1.8 STM even though it has a manual focus switch).

Nevertheless maybe it's worth a try, but the Sigma 18-35mm would be such a better lens to use, IMO.

7. Collapse Details
    17-55 works on mine I also use the 10-18mm. Sigma 18-35 & Tokina 14-20.

8. Collapse Details
    I only have one Canon EF-S lens - which is the 24mm / 2.8 STM (pancake) lens - which works fine for me on the EVA1.
    Of course the Sigma 18-35 looks great. And for really wide stuff I'll use a Tokina 11-16.
    But I actually keep an older Tamron 17-50 / 2.8 on the camera while in the camera case - mainly so that there's a lens on it if something is happening and I need to start shooting immediately -- and having the extra length going to 50mm can sometimes be helpful as well. No, I don't like the look of the Tamron as much as the Sigma, but for a cheap lens it makes a surprisingly good image.

9. Collapse Details
    The IS on the Canon is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by OnSet View Post
    I only have one Canon EF-S lens - which is the 24mm / 2.8 STM (pancake) lens - which works fine for me on the EVA1.
    Of course the Sigma 18-35 looks great. And for really wide stuff I'll use a Tokina 11-16.
    But I actually keep an older Tamron 17-50 / 2.8 on the camera while in the camera case - mainly so that there's a lens on it if something is happening and I need to start shooting immediately -- and having the extra length going to 50mm can sometimes be helpful as well. No, I don't like the look of the Tamron as much as the Sigma, but for a cheap lens it makes a surprisingly good image.

10. Collapse Details
    I had the Canon 15-85 for 6 months until I found a good used CN-E 18-80.
    it's a nice lens with a great range. Unfortunately a bit slow.
    Biggest downside is a very short focus throw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast