Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How many of us are from chicagoland orig?
    Just interested to see.. I know i've spoken to a couple.

I'm from Naperville. Lived in Chicago for 4 years before leaving the state for my slow journey to california (which begins next year.. cant wait to leave colorado).

My time in Chicago consisted of the first 2 years being up in edgewater and the last 2 right downtown next to the lake shore drive bridge. Anyone have any fond memories growing up in the city or burbs there? Maybe ill get lucky and find another napervillian haha
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

2. Collapse Details
    I am not but I used to listen to the Sportswriters on WGN.

And watch Deborah Norville on Ch.5 WMAQ-TV.

3. Collapse Details
    Originally from the Edgebrook area of Chicago, moved to Highland Park, IL when I was 7. Moved to Los Angeles for college when I was eighteen.

I have very fond memories of growing up in Edgebrook. There were tons of kids on my street and we were outside all the time, riding big wheels and bikes and staying over at each others houses. We had epic games of Kick the Can the whole block took part in that would go on for hours.

Highland Park, not as fond memories. It's a beautiful place but I felt pretty alienated as a minority. I managed to make friends when I got there but they peeled off as some moved away and my teen years were fairly solitary.
    Last edited by Batutta; 07-20-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    Originally from the Edgebrook area of Chicago, moved to Highland Park, IL when I was 7. Moved to Los Angeles for college when I was eighteen.

I have very fond memories of growing up in Edgebrook. There were tons of kids on my street and we were outside all the time, riding big wheels and bikes and staying over at each others houses. We had epic games of Kick the Can the whole block took part in that would go on for hours.

Highland Park, not as fond memories. It's a beautiful place but I felt pretty alienated as a minority. I managed to make friends when I got there but they peeled off as some moved away and my teen years were fairly solitary.
    But hey highland park has risky business and michael jordan so theres that :b... all jokes aside i understand and i dont.. i understand in that ALL rich white towns of chicago have a racist and alienating undertone (naperville included) and im not proud of that.. i dont understand in that im white so their are somethings i just wont be able to understand but i saw these things happen around me so i was not obvious to it.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Final Cut Studio 3

5. Collapse Details
    Likely doesn’t qualify, but I lived just off-campus at U of C for two years in the early 90’s. I still remember springtime by Promontory Point, the air rich with the peaceful sounds of automatic gunfire....
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

6. Collapse Details
    Grew up in McHenry county. I have fond memories of this classic commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-e4nlfdRI

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
    Grew up in McHenry county. I have fond memories of this classic commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-e4nlfdRI
    That commercial was the greatest lol, i remember it myself. lets not forget the empire carpet guy
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Final Cut Studio 3

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    Likely doesn’t qualify, but I lived just off-campus at U of C for two years in the early 90’s. I still remember springtime by Promontory Point, the air rich with the peaceful sounds of automatic gunfire....
    Its only gotten worse my friend. Ever since Daley knocked down Cabrini the south sides and west sides have become even bigger war zones.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Final Cut Studio 3

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    But hey highland park has risky business and michael jordan so theres that :b... all jokes aside i understand and i dont.. i understand in that ALL rich white towns of chicago have a racist and alienating undertone (naperville included) and im not proud of that.. i dont understand in that im white so their are somethings i just wont be able to understand but i saw these things happen around me so i was not obvious to it.
    I was there in the 80's and I'm assuming you're a bit younger than me so it's disheartening it hasn't changed much. It wasn't overt, KKK racism, but a more insidious unspoken racism that was implicit at all times, and occasionally came to the surface. In my case, my best friend's girlfriend cheated on him with a black guy and he became seemingly racist overnight, but those feelings were lurking there all the time. I will say growing up through that gave me a pretty thick skin. Some of the things millennials are triggered by just make me shrug and wonder what planet they've been living on.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    I was there in the 80's and I'm assuming you're a bit younger than me so it's disheartening it hasn't changed much. It wasn't overt, KKK racism, but a more insidious unspoken racism that was implicit at all times, and occasionally came to the surface. In my case, my best friend's girlfriend cheated on him with a black guy and he became seemingly racist overnight, but those feelings were lurking there all the time. I will say growing up through that gave me a pretty thick skin. Some of the things millennials are triggered by just make me shrug and wonder what planet they've been living on.
    Yeah, i mean not to get to personal and political (as i know politics are frowned here so sorry) but I agree in that most of my generation is becoming to PC for their own good. I'm all about acceptance and everyone being treated equally, but when a president you dont like gets into office and you have a panic attack and schools like harvard and yale are bringing in puppies to make the kids feel better, it really makes me wonder too. I dont have much in common with my generation, I feel a bit like a black sheep most of the time. In terms of age, i was born in 1990 and i know exactly what you are talking about when you say it as an "indidious unspoken racism".. i saw that happen all the time. Same went for sexuality. If you were anything but catholic white and heterosexual in naperville you usually ended up in a bar fight or two you didnt cause. I believe Naperville has grown since when I was little, but given I was raised around very very wealthy kids and was bullied myself just for "not having enough money to afford 3 floors in my house" (and granted my dad and mom did very well for themselves back then) and then in high school some minor bullying for being a nerd/filmmaker/gay teen, i totally understand it. Everyone in suburban chicago who is white and has money usually has this mask and i think because society is becoming more welcoming to all people, their masks have become thicker because they know their morals are not met with kindness like in the 50s-90s so they have to repress all their anger and hate... dont know why they wouldnt just grow up and be nice.. doesnt take much to be nice to someone

Edit: Also need to point out that you were living in the north shore during the John Hughes era and for that i envy the hell out of you!
    Last edited by Mike Krumlauf; 07-21-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Final Cut Studio 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast