Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Interesting to hear about people moving back to the tried and true stabilizers.

Steadicam remains alive and well in the higher-end production arena even as gimbals and their support systems have evolved. I will only work with a gimbal if it comes with an operator who is deeply familiar with the electronic troubleshooting process. On my current show we have two Movi Pro's that we use as stabilized remote heads and they are working very well, only because their owner is with us fulltime as an operator and he is one of the most expert longtime Movi users.

Meanwhile, gimbal tech has worked its way into the high end Steadicam world as a roll axis stabilizer and an inertial assist tool. So it seems the future is a hybrid of old and new tech.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

2. Collapse Details
    I want a Steadicam Volt...

Glidecam is great. I recommend the Devin Graham Glidecam as it's not a whole lot more money but has good improvements and functionality. I regularly fly a 10 lb C300 Mark II setup on it without a vest. I have a Steadicam Zephyr, but I mostly use that with my Arri Amira. The Glidecam is way better for run n gun and quick setups. An Ursa Mini Pro is around a similar weight to a C300, so the added weight capacity of the Devin Graham version is quite useful.

My Steadicam Zephyr has various issues; feels like it's about to snap apart, pieces and screws, keep falling off of it, etc. I need to send it in for repair. Still works, though. Maybe one more film with it and hopefully it'll hold up.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DDirector View Post
    The two im interested in seem very similar, but I just cannot figure out what the differences between the two are, and whether one is better than the other.
    Glidecam HD-PRO vs Glidecam DGS
    Flycam Redking?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdir View Post
    Flycam had major quality control issues back in the day, hopefully they're better now. It's kinda funny to watch a knock-off compared to a knock-off of a knock-off.

5. Collapse Details
    Heya, so I dont believe Ive made an update, but I did end up purchasing the DGS Glidecam.
    I have the Moza Air that im going to be getting rid of.

I know that this wasnt the best idea, but I got the glidecam the day I went out shooting a music festival. I balanced it and went shooting with it without any prior experience.
    I must say, I really enjoyed it. It was tough, but got some nice shots. Need practice though.

But now my rig is getting heavier and I am using bigger camera setups.
    Its not a problem for the glidecam, but its a problem holding the shot longer than a minute.

Need to look into a vest.
    But the glidecam X10 is about $3200 cad!
    Are there any other alternatives?
    Michael Frymus
    Videographer || Photographer

Instagram: @michaelfrymus

6. Collapse Details
    The Cowboy Studio double arm vest is what I use. Works great if you're just wanting something to help take the weight. You will need to modify the post though with gave tape and some metal pipe. I talk about that in my video on the other post I made replying to this

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

7. Collapse Details
    B&H has a bunch of options at varying prices. You can probably get used vests on eBay pretty cheap as well.

8. Collapse Details
    Ended up getting the ProAim Flycam Vista II on special
    Michael Frymus
    Videographer || Photographer

Instagram: @michaelfrymus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12