Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Glidecam HD-Pro vs DGS
    Question
    I've been thinking of getting a Glidecam in replacement of an electronic gimbal.
    Not 100% sure yet if this is what I want, but considering it heavily.

The two im interested in seem very similar, but I just cannot figure out what the differences between the two are, and whether one is better than the other.
    Glidecam HD-PRO vs Glidecam DGS
    Michael Frymus
    Cinematographer || Gaffer || Travel Photographer

Instagram (Photography)
    Instagram (BTS Videos)
    Website

2. Collapse Details
    What kind of camera are you looking to fly? Add up the total weight because that plays a huge part. DGSS can hold a bit more weight. It also converts to an underslung mode

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

3. Collapse Details
    I should add that I have the DGSS and fly an URSA Mini on it. I haven't had any issues except that I needed a vest.

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

4. Collapse Details
    Some budget stabilizers are well designed and positively reviewed. I have a Laing P-4S, but I haven't compared it to any Glidecam products. Many budget stabilizers use standard bearings packed with thick grease, so you really need to dissolve the grease and re-lubricate the bearing. Here's a tutorial I made on the process.

I think that the Glidecam DGS has a better design, as the gimbal is vertically adjustable, which makes a huge difference when it comes to balancing.

I'm really surprised that Glidecam isn't making these out of carbon-fiber.

You may also consider Steadicam products, Solo's and Pilot's are probably pretty cheap second hand.

5. Collapse Details
    I ditched gimbals and went back to glidecam. Ive had the ronin, the tilta gx2 and another one I cant remember. Dont miss them at all. Its crazy how cheap 2nd hand models are on ebay.

6. Collapse Details
    If you do get a Glidecam, put it through its paces immediately. These inexpensive, small stabilizers are notorious for un-centered/off-centered gimbals. I bought a Glidecam years ago to try after I bought my C300. It drove me crazy. I could static balance it in one position and then pan it and it was off everywhere else except the original position. Re-balance in another position and it was good. Until you panned it. After a day or two I called a friend that is a really good Steadicam op that teaches some of the workshops. He told me it was the cheap gimbals that these companies use. And there is no way to fix them/correct them like on big boy rigs. Not all of them are bad, obviously, but the chances of getting a bad one are very high, compared to something from Steadicam.

Luckily, I bought it from B&H and it only required fairly minimal effort to return it.

IMO, good "Steadicam" work still blows away the vast majority of electronic gimbal work.

7. Collapse Details
    Some Glidecams gimbals can be calibrated, but it should arrive calibrated. Here's a video on the process.

8. Collapse Details
    As someone who's never used a motorized gimbal, I'd be interested in hearing your reasons for switching back to old-school steadycams.

I went with a counter-weighted steadycam because they're inexpensive, don't suffer from vertical bobble, and don't take batteries. They certainly have their disadvantages though, like horizon sway (especially in wind) and a steep learning curve.

9. Collapse Details
    I've been mainly thinking about the glidecam because Ive been wanting to get more moving shots when shooting festivals.
    I have a decently heavy camera setup and my gimbal is not good for it. Would need a larger gimbal for it.

But still not sure if I would want the glidecam if I have to hold it one handed all day without a vest. Would get the arm brace, but still.
    Michael Frymus
    Cinematographer || Gaffer || Travel Photographer

Instagram (Photography)
    Instagram (BTS Videos)
    Website

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DDirector View Post
    I've been mainly thinking about the glidecam because Ive been wanting to get more moving shots when shooting festivals.
    I have a decently heavy camera setup and my gimbal is not good for it. Would need a larger gimbal for it.

But still not sure if I would want the glidecam if I have to hold it one handed all day without a vest. Would get the arm brace, but still.
    I have a glidecam v16 with a vest and arm if you are interested in testing out the “steadicam” setup. Although, shipping costs can be something to consider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast