Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nature sound society is one of the big nature recording groups. There are lots of specific places to find stuff. Princeton (I think) has a lot of bird recordings and you can ask here or on the DUC (post sound section) for specifics you might want. I have thousands of hours of SFX recordings for instance. It's always helpful if you have stuff to trade but I have had really good luck finding hard to get sounds just by asking. The advantage over say poking around on sound cloud is that the quality of recordings are generally going to be higher because of who's making the recordings. SC has some gems but there are also a bunch of klunkers.

A plus you have is that NYC recordings are always in demand. I was twice flown in for a week just to walk around recording the town.

Some of what Paul was talking about was actually Foley. There are nature sounds that are near impossible to actually record or don't sound like what you think they do. The river is a pretty good example. Rivers do make sounds, they just don't generally make the sounds the audience expects them to be making. Kind of like wind. Wind is silent, it's wind passing over and through stuff that makes sound. So when going out to record wind you really need to know what kind of "wind" sounds you are looking for and then find structures that will produce them.

Wing flaps and some shy animal sounds are also almost impossible to capture in nature. You can get a bird taking off, if your lucky, but that shot of them flying... Shy animals just shut up if you are close enough to get a decent recording. Even silly things like frogs and cicada's will shut up if they sense danger. I was in a place that had fantastic frogs and in setting up I made too much noise and they all went silent. I tried waiting them out but gave up after 40 min. After I was all packed away they started again...
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

2. Collapse Details
    SK, instead of Princeton, are you maybe thinking of the (really fantastic) Cornell Lab of Ornithology? They're pretty good about giving away information, IIRC. For example:
    https://www.macaulaylibrary.org/how-...ng-techniques/

YEARS, nay decades ago, I was involved in nature (and sfx) recording. But that was in the tape days. Kinda miss that work...
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

3. Collapse Details
    "Anyone have any experience with Rode SVM Pro?"
    - I have no experience with Rode mics but the SVM is an unbalanced mic, plus the sensitivity specs (12mV) are kind of low for most low SPL nature recording... especially with inherently noisy unbalanced gear.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Yes, I have bush on my block that's usually completely filled with chirping birds... That is until you approach the bush and they go almoat completely silent...

5. Collapse Details
    I think it important not to over think recording soundscapes. I quite clearly remember sticking one SM57 out in the garden and turning up the gain on a Ferrograph reel to reel, using unbalanced jacks and being amazed at what the world really sounded like. The only thing I really hate is stereo mics on a moving camera. Try it and with ear bud type in ear monitoring the result can be worthy of a Hitchcock movie. In fact the worst result is where the camera moves at one speed, but the audio moves at a different one. This can be quite horrible, yet people you show it to just can't put their finger on what is wrong. Worst case is theatrical sound effects that they try to place with the pain loudspeaker systems. Location precision never really works - but hiding just a few real speakers on a set does!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    SK, instead of Princeton, are you maybe thinking of the (really fantastic) Cornell Lab of Ornithology? They're pretty good about giving away information, IIRC. For example:
    https://www.macaulaylibrary.org/how-...ng-techniques/

YEARS, nay decades ago, I was involved in nature (and sfx) recording. But that was in the tape days. Kinda miss that work...
    Yes, sorry about the mistake it's been years since we got sounds from them.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

7. Collapse Details
    Worst case is theatrical sound effects that they try to place with the pain loudspeaker systems. Location precision never really works - but hiding just a few real speakers on a set does!
    Very true. Wind and ambience can work but any sound that should come from stage level sucks big time.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

8. Collapse Details
    Any chance of this being useable? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BoCg4oQAvD_BwE
    I own their mini on camera shotgun mic and it's decent...

9. Collapse Details
    Back in the 90s, I used a (now discontinued) AT-825 a few times and it sounded decent, but the sound source was modality high SPL. I'm sure the AT-2022 is decent as well. According to the AT specs, the AT2022 has a 8mV sensitivity, twice the output of the AT-825.. but still too low for recording pro quality nature sounds IMO.
    It is unbalanced however so recording to two XLR mic inputs and would require a custom built unbalanced 'Y' type cable. A single standard 3 pin XLR cable could possibly be used for mono recording, but phase would be an issue, and at best, would produce comb filtering.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Rick. So it's not possible to record stereo into one xlr input (say on my Zoom f4) on this mic?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast