Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    The two stereo mics I have, and pretty much never use, are a Sony ECM-959A and a Sennheiser MKE44P. I don't think either are still made but I did see a listing on ebay for the Sony for 179.

The Sony has a mini plug connector and I used it with a small portable DAT machine that had a mini plug jack. It's OK and worked well for what I was doing but it's a mini plug and not balanced so...

The Sennheiser was an improvement and worked with my by then better gear. It has one quirk that may not be an issue depending on where you are. It apparently can "hear" navy radar and the big underground antenna array the navy uses to call subs that are submerged. In the SF Bay area this was a problem. Recording at the shore I could "hear" the radar sweep over me and at certain locations I could have mapped out the antenna array by using the mic like a geiger counter. Here in Detroit probably not a problem. I tried all kinds of shielding and isolating etc to try and fix it but never could. It was a "cool" feature till you didn't want to hear the radar.

The Sony is M/S with the decoder built in and the Sennheiser is an actual X/Y. The F4 can also accept a M/S stereo signal so that will give you more options.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Scott I wonder if the Zoom capsule mic modules would be a total waste of money? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...y_capsule.html

3. Collapse Details
    Further down in the audio section, I posted about this new Sanken stereo shotgun.

https://www.sankenmicrophones.com/pr...hotgun/css-50/

Other than having a spare of some sort, seems like this variable shotgun could serve as the only shotgun you might need; for a price of merely $1800. Way above the OP's budget, but looks like a real interesting option from a great company.

Grant

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Thanks, Scott I wonder if the Zoom capsule mic modules would be a total waste of money? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...y_capsule.html
    Not if they work for your needs. There is I believe a cable that can be bought so the module doesn't just have to sit on the back of the F4. Since mine is in a bag that would not work at all.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

5. Collapse Details
    I have the Sony ECM MS907 and MS957 mics and have used them for stereo sound FX capture for around 25 years mostly with a minidisc recorder.

Resulting sound has been used on numerous broadcast and film productions here in the UK and I got a second as new boxed 957 off e-bay for $75 last year.

Still a few on e-bay in various countries and a very flexible mic: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=ecm-ms957
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryNattrass View Post
    I have the Sony ECM MS907 and MS957 mics and have used them for stereo sound FX capture for around 25 years mostly with a minidisc recorder.

Resulting sound has been used on numerous broadcast and film productions here in the UK and I got a second as new boxed 957 off e-bay for $75 last year.

Still a few on e-bay in various countries and a very flexible mic: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=ecm-ms957
    Thanks. How does it handle in the field?

7. Collapse Details
    The 957 looks like my 959 except the removable cable mean you could make a cable to feed XLR mic ins. A friend used it for a couple of years doing oral histories. The big plus for him was that he isn't a sound person and so the wide pickup pattern worked well for the interviews.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post
    The 957 looks like my 959 except the removable cable mean you could make a cable to feed XLR mic ins. A friend used it for a couple of years doing oral histories. The big plus for him was that he isn't a sound person and so the wide pickup pattern worked well for the interviews.
    Yeah, also looks like it comes with a 5 pin to 3.5mm stereo cable -- my F4 has this input I believe...

9. Collapse Details
    Yeah, also looks like it comes with a 5 pin to 3.5mm stereo cable -- my F4 has this input I believe...
    No. The F4 does have a mini jack input for 5/6 but that is a line level input.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks. How does it handle in the field?
    Very well I have a rode pistol grip and a softie cover over the foam windgag.

As it is an MS mic capsule set-up you can adjust the stereo width on the mic but it outputs AB so you don't have to decode the MS signal.

The smaller 907 was always in my bag with a minidisc recorder when I was travelling so I could capture anything interesting that I found.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234