Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 160
  1. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,643
    Default
    The info in the latest Jinnimag video is all either open knowledge, pointless semantics or blatant misrepresentation. I particularly liked when he made the crack about RED poaching Deanan from Dalsa and in the very post he referenced you can see he chose not to highlight the full sentence. I’m no defender of RED, but I knew where the sensor came from and it was no big secret for those who had certain connections in the industry. Same went for the various RED lenses. Some of Jinnimag’s points in these videos have been valid, but this one is pretty weak.

    And he has some pretty important details wrong, like the laborious history of CMOS technology. There were plenty of other companies working with CMOS at that point, and in fact a lot of stills cameras were using CMOS. And I was connected with another camera company that was developing its own sensor designs based on CMOS technology, Vision Research and its Phantom cameras. Working Phantom HD (2K Super-35) and Phantom 65 (4K 65mm) prototypes were shown at the same NAB show where RED only had mockups, a full year before they had working cameras, the Peter Jackson short, etc.

    A lot of Jinnimag’s limited historical info and internet finds feels like a high school research paper conducted by reading some Wikipedia articles. That’s a pretty limited view.

    As for his parting shot about the breadbox camera holding 1K boards for a 4K image, it has nothing to do with the sensor and everything to do with a memory buffer that was only big enough or fast enough to hold 1/4 of the image. We can get into how this would be divided up, but suffice to say that I’ve seen the sort of thing Jannard describes and it makes total sense in a cobbled system such as that.

    I’m rather unimpressed by this hour+ installment.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company


    7 out of 9 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    6,144
    Default
    At this point, it's more about the views and exposure on YT than anything else.


    0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,643
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    At this point, it's more about the views and exposure on YT than anything else.
    Actually I think at this point it’s mostly about spite.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company


    4 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    6,144
    Default
    ha...well, all of those videos are about that too. He doesn't appear to be very happy about his overall journey with RED.

    I think the first one was more about spite than anything else.

    But once he received the reaction that he did it became a show, naturally.


    1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    Senior Member jamedia.uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    577
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    The info in the latest Jinnimag video is all either open knowledge, pointless semantics or blatant misrepresentation. I particularly liked when he made the crack about RED poaching Deanan from Dalsa and in the very post he referenced you can see he chose not to highlight the full sentence. I’m no defender of RED, but I knew where the sensor came from and it was no big secret for those who had certain connections in the industry. Same went for the various RED lenses. Some of Jinnimag’s points in these videos have been valid, but this one is pretty weak.

    And he has some pretty important details wrong, like the laborious history of CMOS technology. There were plenty of other companies working with CMOS at that point, and in fact a lot of stills cameras were using CMOS. And I was connected with another camera company that was developing its own sensor designs based on CMOS technology, Vision Research and its Phantom cameras. Working Phantom HD (2K Super-35) and Phantom 65 (4K 65mm) prototypes were shown at the same NAB show where RED only had mockups, a full year before they had working cameras, the Peter Jackson short, etc.

    A lot of Jinnimag’s limited historical info and internet finds feels like a high school research paper conducted by reading some Wikipedia articles. That’s a pretty limited view.

    As for his parting shot about the breadbox camera holding 1K boards for a 4K image, it has nothing to do with the sensor and everything to do with a memory buffer that was only big enough or fast enough to hold 1/4 of the image. We can get into how this would be divided up, but suffice to say that I’ve seen the sort of thing Jannard describes and it makes total sense in a cobbled system such as that.

    I’m rather unimpressed by this hour+ installment.
    There is always some one who will ruin a good story with balance, reason and facts.
    Next you will tell me the Earth isn't flat..... :-)

    Whilst much of it was, as you said, common knowledge within the industry, it probably wasn't known by most of the users of RED or other cameras.

    The problem in cases like this is that when the masses (the mob) realise they have been "mislead" they smell blood, get in a Frenzy and tear into anything else that is not 100% solid.
    Last edited by jamedia.uk; 09-22-2019 at 12:34 PM.


    4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    161
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    As for his parting shot about the breadbox camera holding 1K boards for a 4K image, it has nothing to do with the sensor and everything to do with a memory buffer that was only big enough or fast enough to hold 1/4 of the image. We can get into how this would be divided up, but suffice to say that I’ve seen the sort of thing Jannard describes and it makes total sense in a cobbled system such as that.
    All he was saying here is that a 4K image split into four parts would actually be four 2K images combined, not four 1K images.

    Four 1K images combined would only make a 2K image. A little pedantic, but I think the point of it was that the basic math was wrong, even if it was just stated in passing (albeit in a deposition).


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    Senior Member jamedia.uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    577
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Cadmium View Post
    All he was saying here is that a 4K image split into four parts would actually be four 2K images combined, not four 1K images.

    Four 1K images combined would only make a 2K image. A little pedantic, but I think the point of it was that the basic math was wrong, even if it was just stated in passing (albeit in a deposition).
    As I said above, having uncovered the REDmag "scandal" now anything with is not 100% accurate will be torn into and held up as "yet another malicious lie" where as previously it might be seen as a slip of the tongue or genuine mistake.

    As my marketing person used to say : never attribute to malice anything that can be attributed to incompetence. The problem is for many (most?) people RED has lost the benefit of the doubt on any mistake or inaccurate statement.


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Eric Coughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,022
    Default
    Jinni.Tech's entire website states, "Affordable Media for RED® Digital Cinema Camera." I can understand their first video exposing Red's media, but what is the point of trying to bring down Red as a whole with additional exposés? As a media seller of Red media, would they not want people to continue buying Red cameras, but to just buy the Jinni.Tech media instead? It's almost like the business owner got high on sensationalism and popularity that they forgot they were running a business to sell media.

    I dunno, perhaps additional exposure for them could make it worth it even if the follow up videos do result in a slight decrease in Red sales.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    Senior Member jamedia.uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    577
    Default
    AFAIK there is a court case between RED and Jinni over the memory cards. So Jinni is getting it's revenge in first and "destroying RED's credibility". However I would have thought (as some one who is not a lawyer) the place to do it is in court and not on youtube and not in advance of the case being heard.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    Resident Preditor mcgeedigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Potomac Falls, VA
    Posts
    7,886
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jamedia.uk View Post
    AFAIK there is a court case between RED and Jinni over the memory cards. So Jinni is getting it's revenge in first and "destroying RED's credibility". However I would have thought (as some one who is not a lawyer) the place to do it is in court and not on youtube and not in advance of the case being heard.
    Hopefully their lawyers have better judgement than their clients do.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •