Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    RED Mini-Mags Exposed, or just Business As Usual?
    This has been blowing up on other videography forums and I'm surprised that nothing has been said about it here.

Even Linus Tech Tips has weighed in on the controversy.

Personally, I'm ambivalent about it. Yes, they over-charged, but so does Sony and Panasonic for their proprietary media cards. The "Made in USA" is also deceptive, but others do that too. The deception about "millions of dollars of R&D" on their media is the most disturbing to me.

This is the second video from Jinnimag in their RED Expose series, and at the end of it the narrator implies there will be a third. This could be just the beginning of this controversy...

https://youtu.be/b5YeX3hU6o4

https://youtu.be/nqJXu4K1igg
    Benjamin Bettenhausen
    Mahalo Video
    www.mahalovideo.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    We’ve had it in the Cafe ala dvx

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjobe View Post
    Personally, I'm ambivalent about it. Yes, they over-charged, but so does Sony and Panasonic for their proprietary media cards.
    We make our own media and they are exceptionally high performance.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    We make our own media and they are exceptionally high performance.
    P2 cards were actually more like ground breaking when they first came out. There was nothing else out there that could handle the data rates in a single small device.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Slightly off-topic and 'knock on wood', P2 cards have been the most reliable and bullet-proof media I have ever used in 22 years of shooting. We all had issues with tape, we've all had CF and SD cards go, I've had one Sony card I've had to pull from rotation with my F55, but all 10 of my original P2 cards(5 purchased in 2011 and 5 more in 2012 with my second 2700) are still good and have never dropped a frame.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Slightly off-topic and 'knock on wood', P2 cards have been the most reliable and bullet-proof media I have ever used in 22 years of shooting. We all had issues with tape, we've all had CF and SD cards go, I've had one Sony card I've had to pull from rotation with my F55, but all 10 of my original P2 cards(5 purchased in 2011 and 5 more in 2012 with my second 2700) are still good and have never dropped a frame.
    Maybe Mitch will explain why they work so well, I can't remember if there is ECC in the cards fixing errors, but that might have been one part of the technology. Again, it was ground breaking when those came out.

8. Collapse Details
    P2 cards are basically a small quad-card RAID system in a shell, complete with buffering and redundancy. They're overbuilt to hell & back.

Everything Linus said in that video about what could have been done in those mags, well that's what P2 cards are. ExpressP2 are the same but better and faster.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

9. Collapse Details
    P2 cards are basically a small quad-card RAID system in a shell, complete with buffering and redundancy. They're overbuilt to hell & back.

Everything Linus said in that video about what could have been done in those mags, well that's what P2 cards are. ExpressP2 are the same but better and faster.
    So how does that compare to the reliability of Codex?

10. Collapse Details

That's what I thought I remembered, but didn't want to state something wrong.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast