Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Z Can should gave their sensor boxes out pretty soon, that should give a bit of pressure on other manufacturers. Mini Red cameras at fractional prices.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Thank you!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Z Can should gave their sensor boxes out pretty soon, that should give a bit of pressure on other manufacturers. Mini Red cameras at fractional prices.
    Z-Cam is more directly taking on Gopro, Black magic, kinfinity, mirrorless canikony. Red is still a more complete solution with better sensors for the time being. That may change quickly, but should take a few years.

I am very interested in the zcam for multicam car rigging. Going to test them out soon. The e2 is a little limited on dr, from what i noticed in a recent shoot, but totally usable. Feels like ~11stops. But the highlights are ugly right before clipping, so idk, it could be better. Idk, the F35 is not a dr king, but it clips more gracefully with out color seperation and uneven saturation. Hoping the M43 zcam has good rolling shutter control. Should be interesting.
    Last edited by James0b57; 08-24-2019 at 07:51 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    The Kinfinity LF is about $12K list in the US, but they are closer to $6.5K in China, so, the Z-Cam will be under cutting some of the more budget concious users in China.

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Watching Tom's test on a color calibrated 65 inch Samsung HDR set, his color is all over the place. The processed image for some of these cameras is not neutral, when we all know that each of these cameras can produce a neutral image when properly processed.

It's also the first test I have ever seen where the ALEXA did not crush the competition when it comes to dynamic range, which makes me very suspicious of the competency of this test. Pretty much in every test I've ever seen the ALEXA is able to hold on to detail when over-exposed by 4-5 stops. The P6K skin-tone looks "hot" on the woman on the right, even when exposed normally. So something is very screwy with this test.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Watching Tom's test on a color calibrated 65 inch Samsung HDR set, his color is all over the place. The processed image for some of these cameras is not neutral, when we all know that each of these cameras can produce a neutral image when properly processed.

It's also the first test I have ever seen where the ALEXA did not crush the competition when it comes to dynamic range, which makes me very suspicious of the competency of this test. Pretty much in every test I've ever seen the ALEXA is able to hold on to detail when over-exposed by 4-5 stops. The P6K skin-tone looks "hot" on the woman on the right, even when exposed normally. So something is very screwy with this test.
    If that white chart is supposed to be neutral, then none of them are white balanced.

Camera comparison tests always come down to the processing of the image for display. They're all just sampling devices after all. It's what you do with that data that matters. Steve Yedlin has shown that to be true. I think the Alexa is probably still the best at being that optimal sampling device than all the others.

As far as the RED footage goes, it says that he did IPP2 & REDGamma4? So he combined current color but an old tone curve? That's an odd choice.

Also a strange choice to put Zeiss lenses on the RED and Arri and Xeen/Rokinon on the BMD cams. Not to mention, the Ursa Mini Pro is the only one with a matte box and possibly reducing flares more so than the others.

On the subject of factory color, I really am not a fan of the BMD stuff turning skin a mono chromatic burnt brownish/yellowish. The Alexa shows a wonderful array of colors in the skin where the BMD is kind of just turning it samey. Also the tone curve is making the skin hot as you noticed. I hope he releases DPX log frames or even better the actual clips so we can dive in there and see where these cameras are really performing.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Steve Yedlin will probably end up being the most quoted out of context of the early digital cinematography era.

8. Collapse Details
    This blind test was very interesting, and for me the conclusion is that these cheaper cameras are so good nowadays that, even in capable hands, small differences in how you process your image are going to create differences that are big enough to alter the ranking. Get your WB or your focus slightly off, or add a bit more contrast than necessary or tweak your shadows towards a slightly uglier hue when coloring your footage, and that's more important than using an Alexa instead of a p6k.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    This blind test was very interesting, and for me the conclusion is that these cheaper cameras are so good nowadays that, even in capable hands, small differences in how you process your image are going to create differences that are big enough to alter the ranking. Get your WB or your focus slightly off, or add a bit more contrast than necessary or tweak your shadows towards a slightly uglier hue when coloring your footage, and that's more important than using an Alexa instead of a p6k.
    Kind if misses the point of having better cameras.

It is more that “bang for buck” is no longer an issue. Almost any camera can make a usable image. No more need to say how cheap it is to make up for where it lacks. They are all ok. But better is still better, and saying something about correct wb is completely missing the point.
    Last edited by James0b57; 08-26-2019 at 04:59 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post

+1

Doing your own tests before a job

And include 100 feet of film shooting in the tests

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast