Thread: Netflix 4K

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Netflix 4K
    In the circles of content creators, the Netflix 4K requirement seemed like a war against creativity and art.

The logic is straight forward:
    Netflix advertised 4K content and starting charging a premium for adding that to the service. If they are showing customers content that is 2k or 3k blown up, they would be accused of false advertising.

Arri knows this and is totally fine with it. Hell, Arri even went out and made higher resolution cameras and sensors.

Customers donít need 4K for movies, but if they are paying for 4K, letís hope they are actually getting 4K.

2. Collapse Details
    I pay for the Netflix 4K service, but my favorite feature is watching a series produced in 4K HDR. I like the HDR a lot more than the 4K resolution. ( 2K HDR would still suit me fine too )

3. Collapse Details
    Haha! I haven’t fully converted to HDR content yet. Nearly picked up an OLED. But that is cool to hear!

I actually like 4k in the wide shots. Never got that look in SD or HD.

Back in school, i was reading about billboards, and how they actually used low resolution prints to avoid visual anomoly’s. This stuck out to me as funny, because i assumed they need a lot of resolution for such a big service, but the viewing distance meant that a certain amount of lower resolution was actually better.

I almost feel like back in the SD days, the extreme closeup was not just common, but needed to see any texture or detail in an expression, but HD seems to have shyed away from it, as it was less needed, or even unflattering. Idk, 4K brings the wide shot to life for me, and helps with text raterization. Hate seeing the jaggies on HD text. But when streaming, that is the least of my worries usually. Haha. Most of the time, i am just watching something for the content and not the “hifi” component.

4. Collapse Details
    The least expensive camera on the Netflix approved list is BMD UMP 4.6K (Raw, ProRes HQ), both G1 and G2. The next one is FS-7 (Raw, X-OCN), then C300 MKII (Raw, ProRes HQ). All are sub-$10,000.

5. Collapse Details
    That's the basics of how to sell... create a perceived need even when no real need exists.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    The least expensive camera on the Netflix approved list is BMD UMP 4.6K (Raw, ProRes HQ), both G1 and G2. The next one is FS-7 (Raw, X-OCN), then C300 MKII (Raw, ProRes HQ). All are sub-$10,000.
    If we really would like to be technically accurate, the BM cameras listed are the URSA Mini 4.6K (this is not the PRO version) and the UMP G1.

The G2 is shipping, but they definitely wouldn't have added it that quickly without testing it. Even though it has the same-ish sensor as the aforementioned, it probably still needs to be tested accurately and thoroughly.

There's also the question of if a used C500 counts as the cheapest sub-$5K camera on the list.

7. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Don't forget the Panasonic EVA1...

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Don't forget the Panasonic EVA1...
    I still gotta test that one out!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    If we really would like to be technically accurate, the BM cameras listed are the URSA Mini 4.6K (this is not the PRO version) and the UMP G1.

The G2 is shipping, but they definitely wouldn't have added it that quickly without testing it. Even though it has the same-ish sensor as the aforementioned, it probably still needs to be tested accurately and thoroughly.

There's also the question of if a used C500 counts as the cheapest sub-$5K camera on the list.
    Always nailing it with the Black Magic details. Thanks for leeping us on point man!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    That's the basics of how to sell... create a perceived need even when no real need exists.

Sounds as if you are implying we don’t need 4K?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast