Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Their new digital microphone via shoe is cool too...very compact.

B1M.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    This release would seem to entice anyone possibly looking at the a9 who also wants slog and other video capabilities not offered with it. Makes me think the a9 might get updated??

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah I suspect you are right. My best guess would be they have been engineering the a7S III for a while, and due to ambitions it was taking longer. Then Panasonic came along with the S1, surpassing their 7R III. So what were they to do?

Well, launch a new R IV model to answer (rather than an a7R III "S" or "mkii"), skip the a7S III and just roll that work into the newly branded "a7S IV", aptly named because it's such an advancement over the 2 that it represents a 2 generation leap. So, yes, I would be *shocked* if they skipped 10-bit. I don't even think that's feasibly with the S1H. I actually think they will attempt to answer the S1H more so than the S1, and may even be rethinking their design and chassis. They are in a tough spot because from what I've seen of the S1H and the size, weight, and heat vents - how can the current form factor of the a7S handle that? I don't think demanding film makers will easily pay $3k+ for an A7S IV that doesn't compete extremely well with the S1/S1H. And for people who are demaning on specs, a $1000 price jump from a $3k model to a $4k model that does internal 4k 10-bit 422 is not even noteworthy, especially since it means shedding an external recorder.

My sense is Sony is trying to figure out its play here. Is smaller size/weight enough of an advantage for a FF flagship camera to compromise on specs? Is a $1000 price savings for reduced specs meaningful to this level of customer?

In any case, it's clear they're watching - the new XLR adapter is nice to finally see from Sony.

4. Collapse Details
    Late 2019 and H.264 8-bit max 100Mbps data rate?!?!? That's pretty funny. Sony thinks it's still 2015 as far as their video capability. UHD @ 100Mbps is woefully underfunded.

I don't know too many still shooters who use Sony and I know lots of video shooters who do. But none of them will buy this camera with those specs.
    Sony is pulling a Canon here, obviously still protecting their mid-range video cameras. Surprising really, Sony used to the company
    that introduced new models literally almost every other month, but they're still plodding along with the FS7 MKII and FS5 MKII and
    handicapping their A7 line for video to protect the video cameras.

Won't it be kind of weird if the A7 SIII has some kind of current video specs that can at least meet the GH5/S, XT-3 as far as data and bit rates? That'll
    leave the rest of the A7 variants looking like antiques as far as those video specs offered. I'm still impressed that my cheap little XT-3 can do 10-bit H.265
    at 400 Mbps, that's so impressive to me.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 07-16-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Everyone knows I love my Sonys, but they don't stand a video chance against the S1/H right now unless AF is priority #1.

Ever since I briefly owned a GH5s, I saw how much effort Panasonic put in to making a great camera and then I rented a S1 and it was even better.

If the S1H had Sony's AF, there is *nothing left...it would be the perfect camera.

[*There's always something, but you know.]

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Their new digital microphone via shoe is cool too...very compact.

B1M.jpg
    Hmm...interesting idea but is it plastic or metal? If this is plastic, with it's height, I can see it easily getting sheared off or cracked.
    As much as I hate cables, putting audio data through the hot shoe is a consumer type move, makes everything ultra proprietary
    and not sure how that will hold up in the real world?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    Rear view...

B1M (Rear).jpg

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Hmm...interesting idea but is it plastic or metal? If this is plastic, with it's height, I can see it easily getting sheared off or cracked.
    As much as I hate cables, putting audio data through the hot shoe is a consumer type move, makes everything ultra proprietary
    and not sure how that will hold up in the real world?
    I've never cracked plastic in 12 years so I'm not too worried about it, but I know people work in challenging situations out there.

For quick & compact situations, it's a nice little option...more here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu5-U07EK10

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Late 2019 and H.264 8-bit max 100Mbps data rate?!?!? That's pretty funny. Sony thinks it's still 2015 as far as their video capability. UHD @ 100Mbps is woefully underfunded.

I don't know too many still shooters who use Sony and I know lots of video shooters who do. But none of them will buy this camera with those specs.
    Sony is pulling a Canon here, obviously still protecting their mid-range video cameras. Surprising really, Sony used to tbe company
    that introduced new models literally almost every other month, but they're still plodding along with the FS7 MKII and FS5 MKII and
    handicapping their A7 line for video to protect the video cameras.

Won't it be kind of weird if the A7 SIII has some kind of current video specs that can at least meet the GH5/S, XT-3 as far as data and bit rates? That'll
    leave the rest of the A7 variants looking like antiques as far as those video specs offered. I'm still impressed that my cheap little XT-3 can do 10-bit H.265
    at 400 Mbps, that's so impressive to me.
    hmmm.. well I'm interested in this camera (still waiting on final specs however). As someone who does video but also some stills work - the Pixel Shift Multi Shooting mode caught my attention right after the slog capabilities in video. While 10 bit would be nice - we all know 8 bit can look just dandy.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Yeah I suspect you are right. My best guess would be they have been engineering the a7S III for a while, and due to ambitions it was taking longer. Then Panasonic came along with the S1, surpassing their 7R III. So what were they to do? ...
    Well, it's not like Sony was caught by surprise that S1 came out. They sold Panasonic the main component!

(yes, and since they knew about both the S1 and S1H, the delay in A7SIII was clearly premeditated. Arguably, it'll never come out but the technology will be offered in some sort of a $6,000-$8,000 shoulder camera in the FS-7/FS-5 style)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast