Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sony Introduces 61 Megapixel α7R IV

2. Collapse Details
    Ah looks like their response to the S1R. I imagine this will make some happy, and many others frustrated (ie “where’s the A7S III?!”)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    The R and S models have always been announced months apart. (The a7S a bit later.)

First R then S.

Fall 2019 should be good to go, but everything is subject to change.

4. Collapse Details
    Very nice if you're a photographer, but for video the only improvement is that eye-detect-AF now works in video mode. Which is great and something I've been asking for for a long time, but really, with a p4k in my bag already, I don't see myself going back to an 8-bit codec.

I was hoping for eye-detect-AF, internal 10-bit, and 4k at 60fps. I guessed we'd only get two out of those three. And they still underdelivered. Sigh.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    ... I don't see myself going back to an 8-bit codec.

I was hoping for eye-detect-AF, internal 10-bit, and 4k at 60fps. I guessed we'd only get two out of those three. And they still underdelivered. Sigh.
    Yup. It's video crippled for useful vidiots.

http://sonyglobal.akamaized.net/is/c...e-ilce7rm4.pdf

One might think that, at this stage and in this age, 10-bit 150 Mbps Log would be a minimum. Compressed 10-bit Raw or X-OCN would be preferred. The images would probably still be gorgeous. But it's crippled and not even in self-defense.

PS. The 4K in the APS-C crop rather than 6K and it's definitely no 8K. It ships in the fall for the Christmas season, so this is the flagship for the stills shooters.

Unless you bought GFX50 already.

6. Collapse Details
    darn. I had a slim hope that the big announcement would be a full-frame version of the Fs7 that also shoots stills.
    Big sources matter.

7. Collapse Details
    It must be that they don't have a cheap encoder chip cabable of doing internal 10-bit with a7-friendly thermals. I just can't believe they would purposedly go for 8-bit this late in the game.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    darn. I had a slim hope that the big announcement would be a full-frame version of the Fs7 that also shoots stills.
    Supposedly, they have three more ready cameras to go. On of them is likely to be A9II, the other a P&S from the RX series. This leaves with a possibility for one video centered model. As Samuel said above, S comes after R.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    It must be that they don't have a cheap encoder chip cabable of doing internal 10-bit with a7-friendly thermals. I just can't believe they would purposedly go for 8-bit this late in the game.
    There are no accidents at this price range. It's a tricked out stills camera. State of the art.

Video. Oi, vey.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    The R and S models have always been announced months apart. (The a7S a bit later.)
    I know, that's what I was referring to - the a7S III... it never came, and now here they are at IV!

But yes, I would be very, very surprised if Sony didn't have an S IV out this fall to answer the S1/S1H.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    What I wrote makes no sense, lol...I meant to add - after 'everything is subject to change' - that they may have decided to hold the product cycle with the a7SIII until after the IV because it was more important to get the updated stills camera released first.

The a7III supposedly threw everything off because of how good it was selling.

And the 10-bit...they need to save features for the a7SIII. Now if that camera doesn't have it then I'd be flabbergasted.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast