Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Filters create different artifacts from changes in lens coatings.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

2. Collapse Details
    Can also get that dappled or spotted bokeh with certain types of diffusion.

3. Collapse Details
    Here is a sign that maybe uncoated vintage is falling out of demand.

Alan Gordon is selling their set of 10 Zeiss standard speeds, uncoated:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F133068090131

I am assuming it is just easier or cheaper to rent any number of available single coating modern lenses, or shoot anamorphic, or get some turbo’s lomos.

And a little off topic, but figured in case anyone read this thread and wants a Bartech and Mone moter kit for $800 in the next ten minutes...
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283547674578
    Last edited by James0b57; 07-20-2019 at 04:17 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    I should be at IBC. I’ll try to get hands on the Sigma Classics, and bring them to Panasonic for Mitch to try them on a Varicam or Eva.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Here is a sign that maybe uncoated vintage is falling out of demand.

Alan Gordon is selling their set of 10 Zeiss standard speeds, uncoated:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F133068090131

I am assuming it is just easier or cheaper to rent any number of available single coating modern lenses, or shoot anamorphic, or get some turbo’s lomos.

And a little off topic, but figured in case anyone read this thread and wants a Bartech and Mone moter kit for $800 in the next ten minutes...
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283547674578
    For whatever reasons, the Zeiss’ Standards T2.1 lenses have never caught on in the wintage lens popularity like Baltars or K35s. Maybe because they don’t have that vintage a look?their contrast was always better than the SuperSpeeds.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    For whatever reasons, the Zeissí Standards T2.1 lenses have never caught on in the wintage lens popularity like Baltars or K35s. Maybe because they donít have that vintage a look?their contrast was always better than the SuperSpeeds.
    AH, that makes sense. I've never used the Standards. Only the supers and B's and liked those, so I assumed they would be similar enough. I guess not being able to open up takes away that really vintage vibe.

The Sumire were similar in that aspect. They felt pretty normal above T2, but got a lot of character opened up. Still better performance wide open than the Supers from what I could tell.

It will be interesting to see how the Sigma Classics perform in wider apertures. Interesting their T stops are not as ambitious of numbers as others, but those f stops are still pretty crazy. Given how sharp the Cine Sigmas are wide open, I am curious how that translates with a less efficient coating.

7. Collapse Details
    Someone over on REDUser posted a test/shootout yesterday with a bunch of 'vintage' and modern lenses, including the Sumire's, regular Tokina's & Sigma's and Zeiss standard speeds, among (lots of) others. I didn't see an index as to when each lens is done, so you can skip around, but they are all fonted so you know which lens and at what aperture you're viewing at all times. I believe they are all listed in order, though, on the RED post. Grab a snack, the whole thing is over 2 hours.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...-Lens-Shootout

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    I’ll do that soon. I have a script to read, and this would be a rabbit hole. Haha.

Dvx is a quick distraction, and i can check in like instagram from anywhere. It is healthier than a smoke break. But a 2hr feast of infinite possibilities on lenses and their potential?! You already have ruined me. Haha.

Thanks for sharing.

9. Collapse Details
    I'll have to check that from home. It will be interesting to see how the Mamiya 645 lenses stack up against some of the others, I have almost a full set of those from my still camera, and they really are nice. Chucked a few in front of my XT1 to test with before I decided the moire from that camera was far to great. There are giant, but if using a little mirrorless camera, it will allow you follow focus to get out in front and not be tangled in the body's cage like I sometime have with my FD lenses.

What would be really neat would be a focal reducer for M645 down to s35 or even M43. The old M645 manual lenses are tanks and many down to f2.8 (about T 3.1).

10. Collapse Details
    Phil Holland was working on focal length reducer for medium format with Duclos, i believe.

Whitepoint Optics rehouses some classic lenses in very timeless looking design.
    http://www.whitepointoptics.com

On s35, i see no advantage of the medium format lenses, but with a large format cinema camera and a focal length reducer, that could be something special.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast