Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I'm not currently subscribed to any Adobe products, but I do have a friend who still has Premiere 5, so I could probably use his computer, but I'd like to keep that as plan B, plan A would be to sort it out on my end.

The Yadif deinterlacer plug-in looks promising, but it's rendering at 3 FPS and producing warping artifacts, I hope that tweaking the settings will clear this up.
    Here's the deinterlacing options:
    Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 10.31.39 PM.jpg

I really should build a decent computer and buy the full version of Resolve, but video isn't my day job, and I haven't been doing enough paid gigs this year to warrant the expenditure.

2. Collapse Details
    I recommend that you have your friend with Premiere test a sample while you suss out your Plan A. If it works, you'll save yourself a ton of time (and maybe a bit of money).

3. Collapse Details
    I think that I'm finally starting to make some progress. Last night I de-interlaced a 30 min clip turned out well, using the Yadif OFX in Resolve.

4. Collapse Details
    How much material do you need to have done? I have full resolve and also Convert V6 which can do de-interlace and format conversion (the 1440 goes to 1920 like it should). It seems to work pretty well, but I don't think he has a Mac version. https://hdcinematics.com/wnorton/2017/10/16/v6-intro/

5. Collapse Details
    Red Giant's Shooters Suite is available for Mac. I Forgot that. I've used it very successfully with AE. This is what they say about it's ability to de-interlace and the few times I've used it I've had no complaints with its output.

"Up-conversion & De-interlacing

Mixing old footage with modern video formats on the same timeline can slow you down and keep your work from looking its best. Shooter Instant 4K can Upconvert video to 4K resolution with better results than the scaling tools in your NLE. Shooter Frames can de-interlace, smooth and de-artifact your older footage and convert it to 24P."

Plus other rates as well of course. Trial version available.

Chris Young

https://www.redgiant.com/products/shooter-suite/

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks Chris. I downloaded the trial version, but I haven't tested it yet, as my last round with Resolve and Yadif worked, although, Resolve crashes on me sometimes.

I also just learned that you can deinterlace in Fusion, but I'm not nearly enough of a nerd to figure out Fusion. When I selected "deinterlace" it threw the scaling way off, distorting the image with a wide stretch and letterboxing.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post

I also just learned that you can deinterlace in Fusion, but I'm not nearly enough of a nerd to figure out Fusion. When I selected "deinterlace" it threw the scaling way off, distorting the image with a wide stretch and letterboxing.
    LOL. Yes lot's to learn there. It's a bit of a daily suck-it-and see for me with the Resolve environment. A couple of years in and still heaps to learn. Made worse by the fact that every Resolve update has more new bells and whistles. Enough now!

Chris Young

8. Collapse Details
    Hopefully your current fotage looks better than the old footage. Maybe the old footage is 'history' in the film. "back in 2005 we launched our Series One Widget built in a garage"

In that case you could use it interlaced and put up with the stripes -they help tell the story of this being 'historical' footage.

9. Collapse Details
    Update: I had about 2.5 hours of footage to deinterlace, and am down to one 35 minute clip, but Resolve is consistently crashing on me somewhere between 3% - 20% of rendering. I'm not sure why this is happening, I'll try running more tests and trouble shooting tonight.

10. Collapse Details
    That's the part they don't tell you about Resolve (it's so random for everyone though as others may never experience a crash)...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast