Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What does your username mean?
    To any who are willing, please share the story behind your username.

Combat Entropy. It's just a fancy way to say, "Fight chaos." It is a slogan, that I made up as a short pep talk, to myself.

Years ago at the office at a large company I overheard two coworkers discussing a work project that I believed would end badly. But they weren't on my team, and I was just a drone, so I said nothing. The ill-conceived plan lumbered on and eventually snowballed until it started to involve me, and I wished that I had spoken up. It still had to be put down, but it was stickier by then and a lot of time and energy had been wasted.

This thing happened more than once. It is against my nature to confront people. I would rather just find a way to make it work. But over time I saw that it is more giving to try to offer guidance, albeit gently. Lots of you, with different temperaments, have no problem doing this, but for me it is always hard.

Anyway, the phrase "combat entropy" came to mind, which is unusual because I normally don't like to use big words. I like clear writing. One of my favorite books is The Elements of Style. But one thing I liked about the phrase was that it sounded like "combat infantry," which helps remind me that it's going to be hard, like going to war --- not that I think of myself as at war with another person, but at war with a bad idea. Anyway, I needed a unique domain name for my personal website (www.combatentropy.com, yeah you can see I've put a lot into it over the years). Also maybe I wanted to allude to my side interests in physics and information theory, where "entropy" is term, to anyone who might get it.

It sounds like this could be arrogant and obnoxious, me thinking I know better than someone else. But again I often still don't speak up, and when I do, I try to do it lightly. If they don't show interest, then I let it go --- unless it is something that will come back and bite me and I'll have to deal with over and over again. On the Internet I can wind up like that guy in the XKCD comic, but over the years I've tried to budget my time more wisely.

About a year ago I came upon this quote by Steven Pinker: "The [...] ultimate purpose of life, mind, and human striving: to deploy energy and information to fight back the tide of entropy and carve out refuges of beneficial order." It was in a whole article about the concept, Battling Entropy: Making Order of the Chaos in Our Lives.

---

Anyway, all of you who didn't use your real names, your usernames are a perennial source of curiosity to me, and it's driving me crazy. Even for the ones that are sort of self-explanatory, it still might be interesting to know why you chose that, of all possibilities, as your username.
    Last edited by combatentropy; 07-12-2019 at 03:20 PM.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Dude, that's a cool user name! Way to put some thought into. You have me beat.

My username is a complex portmanteau of "film" and "guy". "Film" in this case refers to film, as in video or film making. "Guy" is used here to refer to my gender, male.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    But you left us hanging. 123 man.... tell us about 123. We must know. Is it some secret coded sequence? The meaning of life? The last 3 digits of your social security number ??????

That's a good story Combat. I always wondered about that handle.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    But you left us hanging. 123 man.... tell us about 123. We must know. Is it some secret coded sequence? The meaning of life? The last 3 digits of your social security number ??????

That's a good story Combat. I always wondered about that handle.
    Bahaha!

5. Collapse Details
    Cool story. I've been wondering about that name too, as well as some others. Mine is simply taken from a car I bought: an SLP Firehawk. GM announced the end of the Camaro/Firebird was 2002. so I decided if I were to ever own a new one, time was running out. So I worked really really hard and ordered a Trans Am Firehawk, which 5 years prior I never imagined owning, being more of a dream.
    Now I'm too busy to drive it or sell it. So it sits in the garage, with 3500 miles and still has the factory air in the tires,

I don't like to confront people either. I usually just let them go on their way because they usually think they know best anyway. The exception to this is if they are about to get themselves hurt or killed , or kill others. Then I step in as gently and clearly as I can

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    But you left us hanging. 123 man.... tell us about 123. We must know...
    It's actually pronounced "Ein, Zwei, Drei".

PS. Mine are just my initials, which I used on NoFilmSchool, when I made a jump here. There were posters with the same screen handle on both sites, so I decided not to be an inventor.

7. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    I always looked very young for my age. So in order to hype up the shock value even further, I went in the opposite direction from the usual practice in the entertainment business where folks claim to be younger than they actually are. I added - jokingly - 10 years to my age, when asked, and only fessed up if we became friends. But in any case, at some point I was getting legitimately older and so my adding 10 years started getting absurd. So then I had to claim - "how old are you?" "Actually I'm already DEAD". Then a few years passed and I had to accommodate that too, so I switched it to not only "I'm a Corpse" but "I'm an Old Corpse".

At bottom it's the same idea Andy Warhol had - a key reason why he wore an ill-fitting white hair wig, is because, as he explained, if you've always had white hair, it will seem you never age when you actually get white hair. You're pre-emptying the whole process. If I'm lucky, I'll pre-empt Death... when Death comes around to claim my hide, I'll quickly announce "But I'm already dead! Go for somene else!"

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Love it!

9. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    My username has no meaning.

(When you read the above, read it in the voice of Werner Herzog. It sounds better that way.)
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

10. Collapse Details
    I am not an expert in etymology but as far as I understand “Josh” means “awkward weirdo” and Bass means “generally frustrated with life”.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast