1. Collapse Details
    ISO the correct formula for ISO/GAIN + DoF with the FS700R + Metabones Ultra Adapter
    I just got a Sony NEX-FS700R [yes, in 2019!] and Atomos Shogun Inferno after being a bit let down with the 8-bit output of the a7iii on a shoot we did last November.

I am coming from 5D MKIII > BM URSA Mini / BMPCC world for my personal / client work and occasionally shoot film & RED. This isnít also the first time using the FS7/700 cameras, having shot dozens of runway shows and fashion films, but it was all using AVCHD and E-Mount lenses... something I would love to avoid if at all possible.

I am using all Contax/Zeiss 80ís era MMJ/MMG glass: 2.8/25, 1.4/35, 1.4/50, 1.4/85. All have passive Fotodiox Contax/EF Rings except for the 35, which has a Leitax adapter with a EF chip to read as 1.4/35.

Hoping to these with the larger FS700 with this Metabones adapter, but instead Iím banging my head against the wall.
    https://www.metabones.com/products/d.../MB_SPEF-E-BT4

I have set my gain L/M/H switches to ISO500, 1000, 2000

The issue seems to have stem around the auto iris feature of the FS 700. Most of the time, the camera auto-gains to whatever it thinks it should be, which is É2.8. I can stop down to f4, but if I go to É5.6, it increases the gain back to É2.8[?!?!] Whether I am at É1.4, 2.8, 8, 16, or 22, there is ZERO apparent shift in focus.

The only way to change the brightness of the image is by adjusting shutter speed or cranking up the internal ND filters.

While this is great for some things, itís not what I want to do. I want to make the ISO as low as I can, darken the image as much as I can in camera, and get the sharpest image with the maximum depth of field.

Unfortunately everything Iíve done either creates overbright images or has very shallow depth of field which is not the look Iím after.. Iím shooting for É5.6, possibly É8 and canít seem to dial it down.

Iím not sure if the missing answer is switching to ďGreen ModeĒ but that seems to force it to be wide open; I want the speed booster to honor my É stops instead of overriding them.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

2. Collapse Details
    The most logical and simplest answer is to run the camera on full manual exposure and then you will be in total control to choose whatever combination of settings you perfer -- rather than fighting against the camera. You are never going to get consistently good results with auto-iris.

Also, due to diffraction, you won't get your best images at f/8 or possibly even at f/5.6. I never shoot at anything smaller than f/4 with any of my cameras or lenses and prefer to shoot wide open whenever possible.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.