1. Collapse Details
    CX350 HLG Grading
    Hello everyone! Been working with this cam quite a bit lately. Lots of help from Barry through videos and messages which has been great. I'm curious about your thoughts of HLG... if a person is looking for a flater gamma to grade would you still go with HLG or choose a normal gamma with lots of highlight protection and stay away from HLG? Seems like their are so many ideas out there one of which being HLG shouldn't be graded. It's for live broadcasting, no grading should be done with it. I was excited about a hybrid log option with this camera at first but now am thinking I might be better off going with lets say Filmlike 3 or Film-Rec?
    Thanks to all and special thanks to Barry Green for the insight.

2. Collapse Details
    I think it will depend in part on what you are shooting and what your final deliverable format is.

Shooting in HLG will likely capture the maximum dynamic range of any of the recording formats in the camera. And if you have a high dynamic range (HDR) TV or monitor with HLG support then you should be able to play back the HLG video clips directly and have them look pretty good. The CX350's HDMI output would have to be set to HDR mode, and you would need a TV or monitor with an HDMI 2.0b capable input to properly handle an HLG input signal.

HLG was designed in part to accommodate live production HDR workflows where the HLG output from a camera would be transmitted to live viewers. For these types of workflows, the image needs to look decent out-of-the-box, without a post-production color grading step.

That doesn't mean that HLG can't be graded. And if your final deliverable is a Rec. 709 standard dynamic range (SDR) video or display, then you will likely need to do some color grading or at least apply a LUT to get HLG source footage to look correct. It will probably look a little washed out otherwise.

3. Collapse Details
    There are transform LUTs to convert GH5 HLG footage to LOG ( here's a free one from EmotiveColor.com ) that you might want to try on your CX350 HLG footage. This makes grading HLG footage a lot easier.