Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Exporting Letterboxed Footage without Bars
    Hi. Could anyone please advise me on how I could export a film shot with a AG DVX 100BE (in Letterbox mode), trimming off the black bars? I've tried everything and can't get a trimmed export. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure how it works in Premiere, but in FCP X anything with a non-standard resolution that you attempt to drop in a timeline will prompt FCP X to ask you if you'd like to choose a standard timeline. If you do, the software will automatically create bars. If you don't and choose (in FCP X's case) 'custom' then the software will display the footage natively (no bars).

In short, maybe revisit how you're working with the footage on the timeline.

3. Collapse Details
    P.S. If the letterbox by any chance is actually "burned into" the footage (it's been too long for me to remember) then you'll have to do a custom export cutting out the top and bottom.

4. Collapse Details
    I assume it's burned in, since it was letterboxed in the camera. Can you tell me how to custom export cut? I've tried cropping the image in the Media Encoder but it's useless. It looks great in the encoder window but the export still comes out with bars.

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasquale View Post
    Hi. Could anyone please advise me on how I could export a film shot with a AG DVX 100BE (in Letterbox mode), trimming off the black bars? I've tried everything and can't get a trimmed export. Thank you in advance.
    I'm not a Premiere guy, but in Vegas Pro I would start by turning off the "maintain original aspect ratio" setting and then cropping it down to a 16x9 HD timeline, because it's going to have to playback in a standard format on most devices. ( computers and some tablets will allow you to playback custom video sizes, which are usually multiples of 16 pixels because of the CODEC used )

6. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure either, but in Apple's compressor there is a little section you can use.

If I wanted to crop the top and bottom of your video, I would type in a number and watch the split screen with the before and after until the after is just a fingernail past the original (before) to make sure it's a full and clear cut.

Compressor.jpg

7. Collapse Details
    Thank you. I think a custom size would not help me because I want to upload it to a festival (or send them a link to YouTube) and someone said they would just end up adding black bars anyway when they project it. So I need it to be a real 16/9 somehow.

8. Collapse Details
    I'm on Windows but thanks.

9. Collapse Details
    Cool

10. Collapse Details
    People shoot in different formats and if you have to make something an exact size and none of the above is doable then your only choice left is stretching the material by zooming in.

For example: If I had 1280x720 footage and it needed to be 1920x1080 with NO bars then I would have to zoom into the footage in a 1920x1080 timeline.

There is nothing else that you can do...besides re-shooting the material.

So you have to either crop/cut the bars out (still would be 16x9) or throw the footage into a standard timeline and zoom in (you'd lose your sides).

Or re-shoot. (Obviously not practically most of the time.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast